Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Now that he's expanded upon the (formerly incomprehensive and rage-inducing) Hearthstone comparison, it doesn't sound THAT bad.

Many skills will have direct counters that will allow you to turn the tides in your favor based on your character choices and party make-up.

Hard counters confirmed.
So we laughed hard that inXile has read thread about Sawyer destroying the fun, when they quoted it during combat vote, but it turns out they may really did read it

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The "best of both worlds" sounds pretty much like being able to switch between step-based and free movement. I liked it when it was done in Realms of Arkania.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bee, as much as I love me some grid-based blobbing, I wouldn't mind a BT that evolved into a MM6 or 7 like game. I have very fond memories of those even though at first I was all :x learning it wouldn't be like my beloved WoX but you'd be able to move around like those flipping FPS thingies (at least that's how I viewed it back then... :P).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's the right thing to do. They don't want to be categorized as a Grimrock clone. If you're going to Kickstarter, you have to deliver something unique, and if you want big bucks you have to promise a large scope experience that doesn't come across as "limited".

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps, but now I don't care about this game anymore.

That bad, huh? I thought you liked all first person RPGs.

I think there are more important things you'd need to learn about this game before making a decision about it, like whether it's even going to be a puzzly dungeon crawler, whether grid or non-grid.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That sounded good and his HS explanation was exactly what I envisioned first time he mentioned it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yeah, I was looking forward to a proper, mid budget, turn- and grid-based Wizardry clone from a Western dev for a long time, and this was the only chance of getting it. (MMX isn't quite the same subgenre.) I know this kind of expectation is very very niche, but still. No point in making a Bard's Tale IV if it isn't going to be anything like BT. Call it Brian Fargo's Hearthstone Tale or something instead. Or, maybe there is a point marketing-wise, but it pisses me off all the same.

This game is DEAD to me. >.<

(Finally found a game to dedicatedly hate, yay!)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Yeah, I was looking forward to a proper, mid budget, turn- and grid-based Wizardry clone from a Western dev for a long time, and this was the only chance of getting it. (MMX isn't quite the same subgenre.) I know this kind of expectation is very very niche, but still. No point in making a Bard's Tale IV if it isn't going to be anything like BT. Call it Brian Fargo's Hearthstone Tale or something instead. Or, maybe there is a point marketing-wise, but it pisses me off all the same.

This game is DEAD to me. >.<

(Finally found a game to dedicatedly hate, yay!)

Well, maybe it'll have an optional grid like Lady Error suggested :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-27-channeling-xcom-porting-wasteland-2-to-ps4-and-xbox-one

And then there's a small team working on The Bard's Tale 4, a game Fargo announced on Twitter back in January, much to my surprise, an incredible 27 years after the release of The Bards Tale 3.

The Bard's Tale began life in 1985, with Interplay's Tales of the Unknown: Volume One. The Bard's Tale 2: The Destiny Knight followed in 1986, before The Bard's Tale 3: Thief of Fate came out in 1988. If nothing else, with Wasteland 2 and The Bard's Tale 4 Fargo is keeping '80s gaming franchises alive and kicking.

"It's going to be a proper sequel to the original," Fargo says, without giving much away.

"We felt a little cheeky and we did that comedy version in 2004, and we cracked ourselves up with it. But we recognise people wanted a true sequel. And they wanted that classic dungeon crawl. I think Bard's Tale is probably as close to my heart as any game as I've ever done before. And I love this style of game."

Then some good old-fashioned Fargo hype: "I think where people will hopefully be pleasantly surprised, is just how ambitious it is. From a graphical perspective, from a musical perspective, it's going to be bigger and bolder than what people are thinking it will be."

Chris Keenan is similarly enthusiastic, but a tad more reserved.

"There's a lot of room for improvement in that genre," he says. "They aren't going to be the huge, five million sellers, so they've kind of been a little bit lost in time. There's not a big swathe of them that come out. You've had your Might & Magic 10s and your Grimrocks, but there's certainly a lot of creative freedom we can take on it."

InXile, having enjoyed success on Kickstarter with Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera, is hoping for a crowdfunded hattrick with a Kickstarter for The Bard's Tale 4, due to go live this summer.

I'm a little concerned. Kickstarter is in a very different place now than it was when inXile and Double Fine and all the others were raising millions a day back in 2012. At least, that's the perception. But Fargo reckons Kickstarter is still great for developers who deliver, who gamers trust.

"When I announced The Bard's Tale 4 I had more interest and people tweeting me, shut up and take my money, than I ever did on the other two," he says.

"Ultimately, on Kickstarter, going out and begging for money is not the way. Are they excited about product, and do they think you can deliver it? If you have those two things, you can continue to have success."

Fargo won't tell me anything substantial about his plans for The Bard's Tale 4, but I do know he'll dip into its development, as he did with Wasteland 2 and as he's doing with Torment. "On The Bard's Tale 4 I'm hand-picking the musicians," he says. "I've already had one of the songs written and I'm having it translated.

"I'm always involved in every level, but I'm more of a producer than a designer. My job is to get everybody thinking right and hitting the right sensibilities and making a product no one person could ever do."

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well I stopped my 2 week rant on WL2 forums due to deciding I will trust that Fargo knows what he is doing.
So after reading that all I can say is: Shut and and take my money!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not another "Dance Dance Revolution - Fantasy Edition"?
Count me in!
That's not how grid based TB blobbers work, Grimrock babby
I didn't claim it does. Grimrock is not even TB, or is it?

But anyway, a grid based system has the potential of becoming such a dance feast.
There are other examples, of course. Games in which there is a grid, but not for movement, just for combat, with party positioning, etc.
Something like that would be cool, but for the moment I am just glad it is definitely no dancing ;)

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Well the whole circling around the enemy by constantly jumping from one grid to another is a problem of RT games

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Bee, as much as I love me some grid-based blobbing, I wouldn't mind a BT that evolved into a MM6 or 7 like game. I have very fond memories of those even though at first I was all :x learning it wouldn't be like my beloved WoX but you'd be able to move around like those flipping FPS thingies (at least that's how I viewed it back then... :P).

Me neither. I wouldn't mind an FPS style ala Morrowind with a party of six or whatever, that could fun/fucking crazy. We're a couple of years into this nostalgia craze and I am as grateful as anyone for it, but I also understand Fargo and company wanting to stretch their legs a little bit. I'm not going to be super pissed if the dungeons aren't grid based provided the dungeons are still brutally difficult (a hallmark of the series, imo).

Dorateen

Arcane
I admire Bee's integrity and holding inXile to such expectations.

What I could envision happening is Bard's Tale IV deviates from the original formula, and Fargo gets a pass (justified or not). But meanwhile Seven Dragon Saga took a lot of heat for not looking like the Gold Box games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Perhaps, but now I don't care about this game anymore.
I wouldn't say I don't care but it went from me absolutely KS'ing to now requiring them to make a pretty good pitch convincing me what they're making is actually a Bard's Tale game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How do you make a Bard's Tale game while at the same time making sure it's not a Bard's Tale game?
After all, Bard's Tale's gameplay was mostly step based mapping challenge and endless phased abstract combat, and I just can't see that in a modern game. So will it be another game using an old name to entice the oldfags, but the game itself being changed beyond recognition to make it sellable to the millions of console- and Steam-tards?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I admire Bee's integrity and holding inXile to such expectations.

What I could envision happening is Bard's Tale IV deviates from the original formula, and Fargo gets a pass (justified or not). But meanwhile Seven Dragon Saga took a lot of heat for not looking like the Gold Box games.
It took more heat for having a crappy KS campaign.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, I'm kind of not buying this grid-based betrayal business. I understand the attachment to the familiar, but I thought about it and realized this: at the time when I was playing the original Bard's Tale, if a friend had asked me what I liked about it, I would not have said, "It's awesome! You see everything from the perspective of your party; it's like you're actually walking around in the dungeons and towns. And the best part is that you can only make 90° turns!" Gridlock was something that happened in Bard's Tale, but I don't think it really qualifies as core to the concept or the series. One zebra's opinion.

Wizfall

Cipher
I love both Wiz7 and Wiz8.
And i find Wiz8 extremely faithful to Wiz7.
In fact free movement or grid based i almost did not any difference in the gameplay.
Only thing that changed is that you could see enemies roaming in Wiz8 and not popping from nowhere just in front of you (but that is not related to the "free movement", some grid based game used the same spawn system like MMX).
I can understand in some extent the butthurt of people liking better a grid based system but it's crazy to tell it does change everything and that will not be a true BT game..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom