Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darkzone

Arcane
I played it a couple years ago on Steam.
If you would have played this in 2005 and still remembered this fights then this would be quite impressive. I hated the RT in The Bard's Tale, therefore i have dropped most of the momories about the fights. I remember the encounters, but not the applied tactics.

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad luck to be you!
As long as you are not hanged by your tool and spinned around until you get sick (what should do the trick), it is not so baaad luck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well in that case I guess it can't hurt to give it a try. Thanks.

The camera is a bit weird at first, and the town you start in might seem a bit bland. Try to perservere until you reach the first real combat area - that's where the game's tactical nature first shines through. There's a kind of "high level dungeon" in that town that you might not be able to take on until you've gained some levels, so don't break your head on that too early.

Darkzone

Arcane
Well in that case I guess it can't hurt to give it a try. Thanks.
One more thing: Go not for the goody two shoes answers, but for the renegade. Test this with the talk to the maid in the first inn.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So was the 2004 remake ever any good? It flew completely under my radar for some reason.
I was "un-gripped". A story about how dull it is to fight rats in the basement is still a story about fighting rats in the basement. The early writing didn't make me laugh, either. I bailed out quick.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So was the 2004 remake ever any good? It flew completely under my radar for some reason.
I was "un-gripped". A story about how dull it is to fight rats in the basement is still a story about fighting rats in the basement. The early writing didn't make me laugh, either. I bailed out quick.

You know, I get that argument when it applies - being guilty of what you're satirizing, like the movie Starship Troopers, for instance. But in this particular case there isn't actually a boring rat infestation in the basement. Except for the one. :)

Luzur

Good Sir

You know, I get that argument when it applies - being guilty of what you're satirizing, like the movie Starship Troopers, for instance. But in this particular case there isn't actually a boring rat infestation in the basement. Except for the one. :)

I got kinda bored by all the satire in that game, every second was some quip against some old RPG stereotype situation or a auto-laugh-track "funny" remark about society, 4th wall breaking with the narrator etc etc etc

Darkzone

Arcane
I still find it quite good, you have to fight just one rat, but it is the rat. Or the crate in the wolf or rat. While this being low level jokes they were correct about cRPGs.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know why it was emulated Apple versions that were put up GOG (and Steam, I guess)? Probably been discussed before, but my memory is no longer now how I remember it was.
I wonder how much not getting the DOS versions hurt sales? And how much that in turn will hurt a new BT game.

I've noticed that there's hardly any activity in the Bard's Tale subforum, while in the Ultima and Might&Magic forum there's often posts from players playing MM1 (not so many about MM2, so I guess most don't finish MM1), Ultima 1-2, and even Akallabeth.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I wonder how much not getting the DOS versions hurt sales? And how much that in turn will hurt a new BT game.

Hurt sales of what??...the original Bard's Tale games aren't available for sale separately anywhere, you run them from inside Bard's Tale 2004.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bring on 'da Kickstarter. Will back it hoping he can deliver something better than MMX.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
As far as TB blobbers go, MMX was the best release in how many years? Admittedly, the beginning was so-so - but so was even Torment's. I remember it took me some perseverance to keep going through that mortuary.

Athelas

Arcane
As far as TB blobbers go, MMX was the best release in how many years?
Wasn't it like the only release in how many years?

Admittedly, the beginning was so-so - but so was Torment's. I remember it took me some perseverance to get out of that mortuary and see that there is an exciting new world out there.
wat

The Mortuary is one of the best areas in the game. No other area in the game allows for as many different approaches (the fact that you can disguise as either a Dustman or a zombie or a visitor who got lost should tell you something).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
As far as TB blobbers go, MMX was the best release in how many years?
Wasn't it like the only release in how many years?

There were some indie releases such as Devil's Whisky, also a while back. Also, Elminage Gothic was not bad. And all the other stuff on consoles, including Dark Spire - which was actually excellent.

The Mortuary is one of the best areas in the game. No other area in the game allows for as many different approaches (the fact that you can disguise as either a Dustman or a zombie or a visitor who got lost should tell you something).

I found it too morbid. It created a wrong initial impression on what the rest of the game is like - which was far more exciting and adventurous.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You don't even understand the meaning of that name, or what it refers to. But of course, keep trying and your trolling might get better. :smug:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
No. Actually, the name is partly inspired by a character in a game we just talked about.

Divinity: Original Sin
The question I have is if they will update bard's tale 1, 2 and 3 for modern systems in a way that you can transfer parties, and have some bugs fixed. Something like DOS versions with amiga/apple IIgs VGA like graphics/sounds. No need for fancy repainte portraits like wasteland 2.

In any case, is the DOS trilogy the best way to play this series bug free with transfering parties? I don't actually mind ega graphics and PCspeaker sounds, but I heard that each BT port has its ups and downs, and to play each one of them in diferent systems makes them impossible to transfer parties.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He mentioned something about it but I'm really concerned with the transferring party bit. The higher level your characters are the shittier the games tend to be because of inflated stats and over-the-top monster encounters. It's one of the reasons why Pool of Radiance > Pools of Darkness. IMO, he should just start fresh and design the game for a level 1 party moving onwards. I dunno... we'll see what he pitches but given the way BT3 ends it seems nonsensical to make it a direct sequel.

Re: current playability. I haven't attempted to play the games in decades. Although I never recall running into any bugs on the PC versions when they were relatively 'current.'

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The Codex's favorite former staff member interviews Brian Fargo: http://www.gameranx.com/features/id...torment-tides-of-numenera-and-bard-s-tale-iv/

You recently announced The Bard's Tale IV, a proper sequel to the series that got many of us into RPGs in the first place. Are you planning to modernize the game, or will it feature grid-based dungeoneering a la Etrian Odyssey, or some combination of the two?

We are going to experiment with a couple of new techniques so I hesitate to reveal too much now but I would say that locking someone onto a grid would take away from the immersion I want to get across. There are ways to have the best of both worlds. I wouldn't want people to read too much into this answer since I have some ideas that I want to see played out first.

Can you tell us a little more about the combat system in The Bard's Tale IV? In an interview with IGN awhile back, you mentioned borrowing concepts from Hearthstone. Could you shed some light on how that works?

It’s still very early in the design phase for The Bard’s Tale IV but we have a good sense of how we want it to feel. Heathstone is a game that does a great job at providing systems that make the player think at each turn. Instead of simply having a battle of attrition where you spend turn after turn slowly reducing your enemies health, we want to keep the combat lively, forcing you to make tough decisions at each round. Our focus right now is in defining the core combat variables that our designers can use to craft the enemy skill and spell books. Many skills will have direct counters that will allow you to turn the tides in your favor based on your character choices and party make-up. We want it to move snappier than a turn based game, not be a click fest nor be too passive. Stay tuned.

When are you planning to announce the Kickstarter for The Bard's Tale IV?

I think we did. ;) Timing of a crowdfunding campaign is a function of us having the proper assets ready for prime time.

Non-grid-based blobber confirmed?

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

I don't mind grid-based movement, but I also enjoyed M&M 6, so both choices seem alright to me.
I wonder how they'll handle encounter design and how they'll make the combat 'lively'. By the end of most RPGs I am fed up with combat and gameplay, and I simply rush to the final boss.
The best way to avoid it would be some interesting mechanic that is introduced in the last 20-25% of the game, e.g. an addition to exploration and a good reason to double-check other areas, but that would work for a linear RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom