Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmm interesting, the whole pc centric comment, blobber and heartstone comment leads me to belive something; it sounds like a first person view for exploring (not turn based movement) but the combat will be turn based...and instead of the fairly limited combat of the original games there will be a card based combat similar to Magic the Gathering or Heartstone.
Color me interested sounds like I will be backing this, Fargo is a god among men in pitching and hyping and honestly it sounds like the best of both world, capitalizing on the Heartstone hype and intrudicing some of those players to a proper RPG system of "upgradable" cards
I think I like it!

agris

Arcane
Patron
You're missing out, Bee. It is the BEST dungeon crawler ever made. Bar none.
Are you talking about the F2P card game? I feel stupid asking, but that's all I can find in relation to a hearthstone computer game..

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Are you talking about the F2P card game? I feel stupid asking, but that's all I can find in relation to a hearthstone computer game..

He is. You really need to play it to see what he's talking about.

Darkzone

Arcane
Really.. Bard's Tale a card game instead of a good phase based game. Value = 3.99 in an app store.

imweasel

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

Best laugh I had all day. :D

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
and instead of the fairly limited combat of the original games there will be a card based combat similar to Magic the Gathering or Heartstone.
Color me interested sounds like I will be backing this, Fargo is a god among men in pitching and hyping and honestly it sounds like the best of both world, capitalizing on the Heartstone hype and intrudicing some of those players to a proper RPG system of "upgradable" cards
Wait, what? Just because he's referencing Hearthstone as inspiration for its complexity and nuance doesn't mean that this will be a freaking card game. At least I damn well hope not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember when Fargo talked about social elements in Wasteland 2? :M

Wait, what? Just because he's referencing Hearthstone as inspiration for its complexity and nuance doesn't mean that this will be a freaking card game. At least I damn well hope not.

Funny thing is Shroud of the Avatar is already doing "card combat".

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sorry Zombra but that Heartstone referente wasnt there as an accident...Fargo know how to pull that picth babay
Look at the bright side, the combat will be fun and accesible to the popamole crowds

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry Zombra but that Heartstone referente wasnt there as an accident...Fargo know how to pull that picth babay
He does ... but that doesn't always mean he's going to conform to consumer assumptions. "I like Hearthstone" doesn't mean "I'm going to make a Hearthstone clone." Look at all the Fallout fanboy rage there was when Wasteland 2 wasn't Fallout. "He mentioned several times that he worked on Fallout, therefore Wasteland 2 will be Fallout!" Didn't happen that way.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm pretty sure he was using it as an analogy, i.e., Hearthstone compared to traditional TCG and not... BARDS TALE IS NOW LIKE HEARTHSTONE. Hate to break it to some of you but the original Bard Tale games are pretty rough around the edges when cast in a modern light. No crime in making UI/gameplay improvements.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Look at all the Fallout fanboy rage there was when Wasteland 2 wasn't Fallout. "He mentioned several times that he worked on Fallout, therefore Wasteland 2 will be Fallout." Didn't happen that way.
Uh, you mean he said "If you close your eyes it's just like Fallout 3". Don't try to downplay how intentionally dubious he was about the Fallout influence...

Athelas

Arcane
He's not lying. Wasteland 2 can be like Fallout if you literally close your eyes to the content.

Zombra

Patron
Uh, you mean he said "If you close your eyes it's just like Fallout 3". Don't try to downplay how intentionally dubious he was about the Fallout influence...
Haha, I either missed that quote or - more likely - blocked it out of memory. Do you remember when this was?

TheGreatOne

Arcane
No automapping+Etrian Odyssey style in game mapping program (just with more flexibility&designed for mouse&keyboard) plz

Dark Souls taught modern gamers to appreciate a good challenge
Nu-Xcom (as streamlined as it was) taught modern gamers (who don't play JRPGs or strategy games) to appreciate turn based combat
Legend of Grimrock introduced modern gamers to dungeon crawling
Original Sin taught modern gamers to think
If Bard's Tale IV could teach modern players to map and some one released a C&C and stat heavy game that would be as succesful amongst non CRPG players as LoG/D:OS, the circle of incline would be complete.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Haha, I either missed that quote or - more likely - blocked it out of memory. Do you remember when this was?

Felipe is just taking it out of context. What Fargo actually said was fairly hamless:

I dove into our meeting with a question I'd been waiting to ask since I first arranged this interview, not bothering to wait for Fargo to start showing the game at hand.

"How much does Wasteland 2 have in common with your Fallout games," I asked, "as opposed to the original Wasteland?" He paused, taking his hands away from the laptop and placing them on his lap.

"It's definitely a mixture of the two," he said. "If you're a fan of Fallout 1 and 2, this scratches that itch." I remained wary. Maybe Fargo noticed this, because a moment later he made another, much bolder promise.

"If you close your eyes, it's like you're playing Fallout 3," he said.

Not that Fallout 3. Not Bethesda's Fallout 3. The real Fallout 3. The one we've been waiting for for the past 16 years.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Really? Bard's Tale, with a card game influenced combat system?

Looks like I can ignore Inxile from now on then if this is their direction. I still don't get his comment about it being widely desired.. by whom exactly?

From Wasteland to a waste of dev time.. ah well, another dev house journeys to the garbage heap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom