Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can totally accept that. My scepticism comes from the different mindset I have regarding games. I'm not LARPing, I'm never that immersed (lol, I hate this word) that writing journals and maps adds anything to the gameplay. [...] It doesn't require any skill, any dexterity or thought, it is a mechanical thing. And that doesn't add anything to the game IMO.

Perhaps larping was the wrong term, but it does not really matter. And it is not only about immersion either. You can think of it as part of a puzzle that you have to solve. Using an automap takes away that element of the game from you, kinda like a walkthrough. It will just be a different experience then. I disagree that it requires no skill or thought as you have to be very careful and oberservant.

As you said, the end result is really cool, but if the automap is designed well, it will produce the exact same map, which you have drawn.

See, my point was that it is not so much about the end result but that the drawing itself is fun. And since its fun and requires more attention than you think it does not feel as disconnected as you describe, like some kind of distraction that interrupts the actual game every few steps. It is an integral part of your playing experience. It is part of the gameplay (even if it does not happen on the screen).

The automap is not the same exact map. It is a map provided to me by the computer.

Perhaps this is a shitty analogy but you could think of it as the difference between exploring on your own or using a quest compass. I think it might be hard for someone to explain why exploring can be more fun to someone who is used to the quest compass pointing him in every direction. Finding your way there on your own may seem to be pointless and tedious when the game could just direct you and the end result is exactly the same - you end up at your goal. But of course it is a different experience altogether.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
$800,000 in 23 hours. One hour left to get them free gamez.

IIRC, PoE got a million in around 27 hours. It'll probably come under that.

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
Maybe $600-800k ala Underworld.

You mean in the first day, right? Bard's Tale 4 already received more media attention than the entire existence of Underworld. They'll get past 2 million for sure, maybe more.

Called it. 800k in the first day.

Both PoE and Planetscape NumaNuma saw large spikes in pledges/traffic a few days in the campaign by unveiling some screenshots and stuff. I imagine they're going for the same thing. There will be a rush of "first look at Kickstarter-darling Bard's Tale 4 is already here" articles before the end of the week, making sure not all the hype is spent on the first day. Or at least I hope that's what they're doing, since Fargo spoke about graphics quite a bit.

Confirmed almost word-for-word in the update.

Maybe I should go for Roguey's title as the Cassandra of the Codex.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/1251607

Free Game Offer Extended

As we’re entering day 2, we’re still going strong! We had massive interest in our free game offer, and now our good friends at CD Projekt Red and GOG.com have graciously agreed to allow us to extend the offer for another 24 hours! Anyone who backs The Bard’s Tale IV on Kickstarter in the first 48 hours of the campaign will receive a FREE copy of inXile’s Wasteland 2, or CD Projekt Red's The Witcher, or The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. To be exact, this offer ends on June 4th, 6am PST. To be eligible for the free copy you have to back at the $20 Reward Tier or above.

Help us spread the word, tell any friend you think might be interested in this deal and was on the fence about backing, as this will be the last chance to get this free game from us!

We’ve been getting a few questions so to clarify: We’ll deliver your Steam or GOG.com key for Wasteland 2 or your DRM-Free GOG.com key for The Witcher or The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings after the Kickstarter campaign ended and all pledges are collected. We’ll set up a backer website where we’ll distribute all our backer rewards, including this free game. With Kickstarter’s aid, we are able to track exactly when you first pledged, so if you pledged at $20 now but later on want to upgrade, don’t worry, we’ll still know you were a backer in our first 48 hours!

Our Kickstarter inbox has been overflowing with questions, we’re loving your excitement and interest in our game. We’ll have a lot more updates during our campaign going into more detail on The Bard's Tale IV, but we also wanted to point out a few interviews we did before our Kickstarter launched: Rock, Paper, Shotgun and Eurogamer interviewing Brian Fargo are likely the most indepth, but you’ll find more on PC Gamer, Game Watcher, onet.gry (Polish), and others. Keep an eye on our tumblr to keep up-to-date on our latest news. You can also find us on Facebook and Brian on twitter.

Thanks for all your support!

Matt Findley
President

Well, that's nice of them.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Well, that's nice of them.
I have news for you, probably it will be extended to the third day as well, because they are nice, not because it's an advertising move to maximize the number of pledges in the most favorable moment.
Probably freebies are planedd for the last three days as well.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo‏@BrianFargo
.@miracleofsound and I have a little surprise project we worked on. It'll be a few weeks before it's done.
Bard's Tale theme song incoming.
t9402.gif
Not enthused after his Wasteland 2 piece. But who knows, he's done some fun stuff elsewhere, maybe he'll surprise me.

Zeronet

Learned
I find them a bit irritating. 'Oh cool, whats this abou...oh' My fault for backing so many games.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm really not too happy about how things are progressing. The funding is drying up and they are forced to extend their day 1 deal. Probably hoped they would get funded right away, but it might be harder than it seems now that all the early bird options are gone.

I see that they added another early bird option at $25. This smells like desperation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That wasn't there at the beginning? I think it was always the plan to have two EB tiers.

I think they spoke about potentially having multiple EB tiers before the campaign began (back when they switched from the only EB tier being $25 to a cheaper one)

I'm really not too happy about how things are progressing. The funding is drying up and they are forced to extend their day 1 deal. Probably hoped they would get funded right away, but it might be harder than it seems now that all the early bird options are gone.

I see that they added another early bird option at $25. This smells like desperation.

I asked about this, and apparently, "nope, it's all as planned, campaign is doing better than we expected".

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I asked about this, and apparently, "nope, it's all as planned, campaign is doing better than we expected".
Did you expect a "GG, LF NEW JOB" reaction? Of course they'll say everything is smooth.

But I think they expected at least 4 mil and now they'll be lucky to get 3 with paypal. They'll be depressed as fuck, their whole "we live off kickstarter" plan will stop looking like a sure thing all of a sudden.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Heh, nope, I don't think so. But feel free to have a chat with Brother None and see if he can convince you. I doubt I can.

Diablo169

Arcane
Actually I can believe that they were expecting a smaller campaign. Bards Tale does not have the appeal of Torment, and Wasteland 2 was in the kickstarter heyday, and it had the "inspired Fallout" trump card.

This is Inxiles third rodeo, I expect everything is:
55099173.jpg

Apexeon

Arcane
That wasn't there at the beginning? I think it was always the plan to have two EB tiers.

I think they spoke about potentially having multiple EB tiers before the campaign began (back when they switched from the only EB tier being $25 to a cheaper one)

Just like my campaign "it is doing way better then I expected as well".
I was expecting to only make it to 50 cents (make art or die trying) level by day 20.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/335604146/project-silkworm/

5500 % funded and on track to 13.9 K funded !

I am ****** killing it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They knew the risk when they decided to split the cool stuff. InXile hyped the prototype to high heavens, then released the KS campaign without it. I was very upset about that. Now Fargo says they'll release the footage video tomorrow. Guess we'll see what's better - a very powerful initial pitch or spreading the cool stuff across the entire campaign.

Personally, I think their approach is heavy-handed. It's quite obvious that the video was ready and that they are intentionally hiding their hand to keep the hype going. It was inevitable, but now it feels more like just another company fishing for cash, instead of that "gamers & devs partnership" vibe of the initial kickstarters. The pitch video doesn't help - the whole "plot" is how InXile isn't the desperate underdog anymore, and giving money to a successful company just isn't the same.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Athelas

Arcane
What happened to releasing that footage over the next few weeks? It's a 40-day campaign, I'm not sure playing your best card on the third day is such a good idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom