Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Banished - Medieval SimCity

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
From twitter:

"@rickyfeest It's a complete game... I may do expansions and updates later but it's not early access."
How this equates that he's done with the game, I am not quite sure.
I get that he's replying to people who consider the game incomplete, but it can also be interpreted as him saying that as he considers the game final as is, and that he may not publish any updates.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From twitter:

"@rickyfeest It's a complete game... I may do expansions and updates later but it's not early access."
I get that he's replying to people who consider the game incomplete, but it can also be interpreted as him saying that as he considers the game final as is, and that he may not publish any updates.
Nah, he particulary mentions not being an early acess, meaning it is not an unfinished game as many early access games are.

Angthoron

Arcane
From twitter:

It can't really be interpreted like that. It could be if there was no context of question re: early access, and response specifically including it, but since those are there, you need to use context to interpret the response.

So if that's the only thing it stems from, pretty safe to say that no, it doesn't mean he's done with the game.

Borelli

Arcane
So i gave this game a try and played and after a couple of failures unsatisfactory games played a single town for 200 years. (valley, medium, fair, hard)

I started on hard because my buddy told me that after starting on normal/eays which gives you seeds some noobs online starved to death with farming. Well i must say i am not surprised because at the beginning gathering/hunting/fishing is so strong that you don't even need to farm until you hit 100 pop. First couple of tries all failed for the same reason, too large pop growth (caused by me being greedy and building too many houses) and me underestimating the power of the storage barn. At first i used them as a sort of a center point of a district, something to be put in between all the production buildings. Well i was wrong, for every single square you put it closer production will rise. So now almost every fishery has its own storage barn RIGHT NEXT TO IT. It makes the difference between fishery making 1k and 2k food per year.

So i restarted again and decided to make the city cover the whole map (in retrospective i should have started on a large map) which in the end had population varying around 1200 with me filling most of the map, it wasn't 100% efficient since i outright refused to build farms, pastures and orchards in anything less than their maximum size. First 100 years were spent constantly expanding, i had several death spirals caused from food shortage, first one was because too many people were in quarries and mines, second one was a combination of my newest city district/farmland not getting online fast enough and a tool crisis because with instead of giving the produced tool to himself, the blacksmith gave it to the masses and continued to pound iron with his fists (me inviting 200 nomads into my town during the famine didn't help either). The last food crisis reduced my population from about 1300 to 400, which surprised me since my food production could sustain at least 1200 but instead of population getting balanced out at that number it kept plummeting down because instead of going to the farm to MAKE SOME FOOD the hungry bastards just wandered around looking for scraps or something. It is at this time that a massive number of 300 nomads wanted to join but i said not because they don't have education.
foodkriza.jpg

gettowork.jpg

The blue drop was when i turned off all schools in order to force students to become laborers because famine was cutting into my food production. At the end it didn't work because it would take a while for a kicked out student to choose his home and reach a field and reducing my %education for the next 50 or so years wasn't worth it.

So with 300 pop but housing for 1200 i had a massive number of empty real estate. This caused a large pop boom since as soon as the hit adult people would start boning which caused a number of 700 families despite only having 400 homes. Luckily this time i learned a new technique.
You can increase the max number of workers at farms and orchards! So with now my number of farmers jumped from 300 to 400 i would never again lose crops because the lazy fools haven't managed to harvest it all yet. In the end a lesson was learned, build homes conservatively.
My end goal was to create a city that is stable. With my expansion completed no new houses were built so a population of 1300 fell to 950 through simple aging and then went up to about 1100. This rate of variance i consider a success sort of so my game ends here at year 175.

Throughout the game my homes would report a lack of firewood 24/7. It is not until late game when i converted most of my houses to stone ones that this got ameliorated. At the end it doesn't seem to matter very much because despite what the help file is saying they cannot freeze while in their homes. They just won't work during winter.

The dev is saying he is working on new features and/or mod tools. I do hope for a expansion pack of some sort because large parts of the game are sorely lacking:
-Churches, taverns, graveyards and happiness in general is too easy to keep high (barring death spirals)
-Trading is a simple bartering, traders are too unpredictable in regards to what goods they bring (it is generated when they hit your dock since save/loading changes it), i dread a town that produces extra tools/food and decides to import its food
-Too little civil services building and like, majority of things you will be building for the most time seem to be farms and forest buildings
-Of those civil buildings that are there 4 are useless, churches and graveyards are mostly for show, wells fucking don't work (people stand there and go "won't somebody please call the firemen" while a market filled with goods burns), doctors do nothing for 99% of the time except for those rare disease outbreaks, basically too many building just stand there looking pretty while they could be removed without the city losing anything
-Boarding houses are mostly useless
-Lack of any social or economic classes, a doctor, priest, teacher, miner or a farmer, it doesn't matter they all live the same

Overall the game is good, especially considering it is a one man job, the survival aspect was well made and i'm glad that if you are unprepared it could catch you off guard, but i agree with the general consensus, after a 30 hour game on this town the ride is over and i've seen everything i could.
It warms my heart that this game is selling more than Thi4f.

P.S. fuck the road bug in its ass

Ashery

Prophet
So, more than worth the $20?

Provided you understand that the game is fairly simple, yes. Don't expect it be as long lived as something like C3 or Pharaoh, though, as the only real variety currently comes from the map's layout. And don't abuse trade; it makes the game trivially easy.

Destroid

Arcane
Well, I played for 4 hours or so, raised up ~70 people and built all the builders and I think that's it for me. There's no serious difficulty or pressure, I had a single starvation event that killed maybe 10 people and that's it. This was my first game, without reading the wiki, I don't think I'll play again, except perhaps to try a game in the most difficult conditions.

DakaSha

Arcane
Yes so go off and buy the other 2000 games on steam that do the same

edit: Sorry that is a bad comparison.. many of them are less than 20 bucks

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Please show me those 2000 city building games that do the same.

Turjan

Arcane
One thing I miss is setting separate limits for different things. For example, it's necessary to be aware of the fact that, as sheep produce mutton and wool, sheep are classified as food producers. I had one death spiral because all barns were clogged up with wool. And it's not easy to get the wool out of the barns if it ends up in there. Food was rotting in the fields, people starve. It was a bit stupid.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Call me shallow but the reason I am not buying this game is because it's 89mb, and it still looks decent in the screenshots.

It makes me suspicious.

1eyedking

Erudite
This game is goddamn boring and without soul. It's like Stronghold free-to-build mode minus all the things that made Stronghold fun.

Can't really graps how it is these soulless games actually sell.

Emily

Arcane
So, more than worth the $20?
no, the game is worth about 5 bucks. It has complexity of an flash online game, but is a bit more refined.
It is incredibly easy and simple.. Yes you can play it for a long time, but you can play other 5 bucks games long time also.

Emily

Arcane

Please show me those 2000 city building games that do the same.
pharaon is about as good as it gets, and hasn't lost anything due to its age. I would advise anyone to just start playing that.

oscar

Arcane
Until we see some mods you're probably only gonna get about 5 - 20 hours juice out of this before mastering it.

Emily

Arcane
Looking at this back, it didn't last long, the game is just boring, there was nothing to do in it. No goals and no danger after first hour or two

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I thought it was rather crappy myself. More of a proof of concept than a proper game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That was my impression. Was considering D1P'ing it but after watching several videos and reading player feedback it turned into 75% off/bundle fodder status. Granted it's just one guy but still...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom