Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Banished - Medieval SimCity

DakaSha

Arcane
This is literally my biggest purchase regret so far on steam

DakaSha

Arcane
You regret you buyed a good game? You must be used to shit games then. :smug:

Its not a good game. Its boring shit that you are probably enjoying simply because of its (somewhat) unique premise, and conformation bias. I give you another week or two before you realize that there is pretty much nothing to do , and that every game starts off, and plays out exactly the same way.

I'm not being particularly, purposefully, edgy here either. It's just not good and I wish it were. It has a lot lot lot of potential but if hes already said hes just gonna run away with the money, then what I have here is essentially an early access game that wasn't finished.

I guess some people may like the simplicity of it, but I may as well play one of these 50 shitty ipad games i have that cost 1/10th of the price.

edit: or settlers for that matter

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You regret you buyed a good game? You must be used to shit games then. :smug:

Its not a good game. Its boring shit that you are probably enjoying simply because of its (somewhat) unique premise, and conformation bias. I give you another week or two before you realize that there is pretty much nothing to do , and that every game starts off, and plays out exactly the same way.

I'm not being particularly, purposefully, edgy here either. It's just not good and I wish it were. It has a lot lot lot of potential but if hes already said hes just gonna run away with the money, then what I have here is essentially an early access game that wasn't finished.

I guess some people may like the simplicity of it, but I may as well play one of these 50 shitty ipad games i have that cost 1/10th of the price.

edit: or settlers for that matter
I read this argument here, and I don't agree. Ciy building games are almost like this. Even settlers. You figure out an optimal way of building the town, and you repeate it. Even in settlers. In Banished the difference betweeen games is that you have very different and sometimes difficult maps, and you have to survive in those conditions. Sure, the game can be improved but a) the mod tools can help this b) the developer can improve this (because it is not confirmed that he will move on to another project).

And please show me those 50 ipad city management games I could play it instead.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
Its boring shit that you are probably enjoying simply because of its (somewhat) unique premise, and conformation bias
Exactly, Settlers 2 gold still much better than this.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Its boring shit that you are probably enjoying simply because of its (somewhat) unique premise, and conformation bias
Exactly, Settlers 2 gold still much better than this.
So I shouldn't play any game just because in the past there have been better games? Yes, Settlers 2 is better, so fucking what? This is a new game, not to expensive, and enjoyable a lot, if you are into the genre. I spent 12 hours with it in a few days, will spend it at least this much in the future, so I already got enough for my money. And it was something new, something fresh and interesting.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Two questions for you guys.

How useful are markets? I have built a sprawling town of about 200+ people, and I haven't used a single marketplace. My shoddy urban planning has made placing one a problem, but I don't really know if they add much.

How do you limit your population? I have about 200 people after 15 or so years, and it just keeps exploding. All i find myself doing are building farms/gatherer's huts and houses, so everything is exploding and I am just keeping up with my food output.

Ashery

Prophet
Two questions for you guys.

How useful are markets? I have built a sprawling town of about 200+ people, and I haven't used a single marketplace. My shoddy urban planning has made placing one a problem, but I don't really know if they add much.

Huge. They pull goods from all your far flung barns into a single spot for your houses to pull from. Keeps everyone eating a nice wide variety of food. Beware, however, that they currently don't hold enough firewood to account for demand fluctuations, so your houses will occasionally pull coal from the market. Also, you only need a couple vendors early on, or even just one depending on the amount of houses the market services.

How do you limit your population? I have about 200 people after 15 or so years, and it just keeps exploding. All i find myself doing are building farms/gatherer's huts and houses, so everything is exploding and I am just keeping up with my food output.

Restrict housing construction. People will live with their parents until a new house opens up. On top of that, they won't have children of their own until they move out of their parents' house.

cultist

Novice
If you think this game is good you guys have never played the holy trinity: Caesar, Pharaoh, Zeus. The game is shallow and not worth a damn much

Ashery

Prophet
How are three games in the same branch the holy trinity?

And I've spent way too much time in C3 and Pharaoh over the last decade and a half.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
If you think this game is good you guys have never played the holy trinity: Caesar, Pharaoh, Zeus. The game is shallow and not worth a damn much
Fuck you and get out you little piece of shit! You can play and enjoy other games, not just your holy trinity.

cultist

Novice
J_C try to relax, you'll live longer :).
So you are telling me what not to play now?
Tried the game, like i said very shallow. I feel sorry for the people who paid for this but you didn't know the dev was some sort of scumbag. Laters

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I feel like survival stops being an issue when I just stop building my town and let it sit there, assuming I've got the proper supply structures built. The unfortunate problem for me is that there isn't much incentive to keep building new stuff, because survival is the only big element in the game. AFAIK there is no stage in a town's lifespan that goes beyond just maintaining self-sufficiency. I've been turned off from a lot of other city builders because I don't like to do combat much, but at least some conflict would constitute interacting with other parts of the world.

I'm starting to feel the dullness that other people in this thread are feeling, because I'd like to manage more about my citizens than just their clothing and food and a few extra functions that don't really become much of an issue for my towns.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Combat/ware is actually one of the things he said he was going to add but I guess he's done according to some of the posts above. Fundle bodder.

ColCol

Arcane
He said he would consider expansions, and I think it is likely he will do some now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I feel like survival stops being an issue when I just stop building my town and let it sit there, assuming I've got the proper supply structures built. The unfortunate problem for me is that there isn't much incentive to keep building new stuff, because survival is the only big element in the game. AFAIK there is no stage in a town's lifespan that goes beyond just maintaining self-sufficiency. I've been turned off from a lot of other city builders because I don't like to do combat much, but at least some conflict would constitute interacting with other parts of the world.

I'm starting to feel the dullness that other people in this thread are feeling, because I'd like to manage more about my citizens than just their clothing and food and a few extra functions that don't really become much of an issue for my towns.
Yes, dullness kicks in after the you have a big enough of population and structures to sustain the city. This happened with me at year 24 (I'm a slow player), and I think I will put the game down now. More frequent disasters or unexpected events would shake things up, but in 24 game years (which is already a lot), I only had 1 tornado and one tiny infection (which died down without a hospital without a death). Having said that, I've put almost 20 hours into this game, which is more than the time any other game offered in the last years, so I got my money's worth. I will pick the game up, if there will be new contents, or some interesting updates.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
If you were experiencing a sudden windfall your motivation to work more than you have to might be diminished too.
It doesn't even have to be a windfall, just the knowledge that you have something in a working state and you're done with testing and debugging. Sometimes a project can become so prolonged and tedious that the creator just wants to stop working on it, preferably to start working on something else. It's a feeling I can certainly relate to.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
We're talking about 1 man studio here. He released a fine product, a base for something even better and all he has to do now is to release decent modding tools.

Angthoron

Arcane
Combat/ware is actually one of the things he said he was going to add but I guess he's done according to some of the posts above. Fundle bodder.
Could the statement of "not gonna develop further" be linked? I mean so far, it was just one man here that said that he'd heard that the guy is done. Maybe it's on the game's forums, but at least nothing suggesting that the guy was "done" on the devblog section, so, um?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom