Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Banished - Medieval SimCity

Avellion

Erudite
Yeah, they really need to make it harder for people to die, it took me like 10 in game years for the first person in the town to die and I am playing on the hardest difficulty settings.

Ashery

Prophet
That's resolved by people having more kids (like 5 - 12), not just 1 "because housing". And increasing the death rate. Men and women dying, kids dying all that. We're talking of an era where grandma can tell you how she raised 12 children in one room. Yet these fuckers demand housing like it's 1999. That'd make the first 10 years of the town crucial and then create a challenge in rapid population expansion.

Point taken, and it should be easy to mod in once the tools come out.

Then again, people should also keep having kids. Which creates another problem to manage. As it is, once you figure out the food / resource juggle early on, the game seems to hit easy-mode pretty quickly. With the only challenge being juggling people around based on resource need from time to time, until you populate enough to let them sit.

It's just bizarre that you have "years" for people and "years" for the town and they're two entirely different things.

There actually is a problem with the need for constant expansion to prevent a population collapse from having very few child-bearing couples be the head of a household. And yea, the game is definitely a bit on the easy side as almost all challenges arise out of mistakes made by the player. That's probably part of the reason I find the game so relaxing.

No doubt it's bizarre, but it works from a gameplay perspective and that's ultimately what actually matters.

Turjan

Arcane
That's resolved by people having more kids (like 5 - 12), not just 1 "because housing".

My guys have 3 kids on average?

N_o_k_zpsc8063522.jpg

Last edited:

Keshik

Arcane
Wish this had the functionality Caesar 3 had where you can tell a storehouse to go fetch supplies from other storehouses (well, I suppose storehouses would need staff). Have one that's laden with logs but another near woodcutters is scant, so that slows things done a tad.

Also getting shafted on my current map, lots of hills so usable space is running out, well at least space I intend to use clear rather than for gathering & hunting.

Turjan

Arcane
You can try and reroute stuff via the trading post, at least as long as that gets you into the right direction.

Ashery

Prophet
Wish this had the functionality Caesar 3 had where you can tell a storehouse to go fetch supplies from other storehouses (well, I suppose storehouses would need staff). Have one that's laden with logs but another near woodcutters is scant, so that slows things done a tad.

Also getting shafted on my current map, lots of hills so usable space is running out, well at least space I intend to use clear rather than for gathering & hunting.

That's what markets are for. You won't be able to tell them to, say, stockpile 100 coal at a market, but they should always have enough room to feed a blacksmith. Not quite sure how well they'll keep up with a woodcutter's demands, but it probably will keep up with a single woodcutter. Though honestly, I'd find better functionality in setting a minimum value for a stockpile that can't be used for building. In larger towns, you can easily completely drain the logs from one of your forestry nodes during some expansion and cripple a chunk of your woodcutters.

I've started preferring ,mountainous maps for exactly the challenge they provide in that manner. Valleys just seem so boring in comparison, although not quite on the level of Caesar2.

And even without a completely fixed timescale for the game, three kids is still far below the average.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And the game is still No1 on both Steam's and Gog's best seller list. Considering the game was a one man job, the guy must be swimming in money. Who would have tought?

Angthoron

Arcane
Funny how a one-man job is, despite all the shortcomings, a more competent item than EA's giant team with super engine, cloud computing and other buzz buzz words.

Emily

Arcane
It is also 10 times more simple and it has 10 times less content then Cesar 3...

Keshik

Arcane
Is it just me or does fire fighting not exist in the game ? Had a section of town burn down and no one went to the nearby wells to fight it.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
year 72 with a population of : 443/42/43 around 90000 food and still going up.

Edit: im not 100% sure how firefighting works in the game as i have only had it happen once and then like 40 guys ran over there to put out the fire.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn this game is addictive. It is 1am here, and I just finished a 3 hours session in Banished without a stop. There is something addictive in watching your little village grow. Especially if a tornado ruins some part of it. :D

Angthoron

Arcane
It is also 10 times more simple and it has 10 times less content then Cesar 3...
That's nice, but I already played that game to death.

Man, you people and your pretty town screenies are making me want to go and play some more of this.

AzraelDR

Novice
And the game is still No1 on both Steam's and Gog's best seller list. Considering the game was a one man job, the guy must be swimming in money. Who would have tought?

Well, there has been a gaping hole left by the lack of any city-building game in the last few years. Oh, and Sim City. There's one clusterfuck that only worsened people's city-building itch.

oscar

Arcane
I wonder if we'll see a sudden boom in the genre due to Banished's wild success.

Odd for this guy to give up on it when he's done far better than anyone would have expected.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah he said he'll only port it, add mod support, and then move on to something else.

Which is a shame. This game could use some updates.

ColCol

Arcane
Haven't played,so I'm not sure how feature complete it is. Regardless ,he has probably made a shit load. Hopefully he pays someone to support it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wow, wtf? A few months ago the guy said he would work on it for a while and add various features. Absurd to just call it complete in what is a fairly shallow state.

Angthoron

Arcane
I dunno, I recall reading that he might move to something else, rather than that he will, in the sense that he's not going to make this his only thing. We'll see - at least at the moment he's posting about his bug-squishing activities and such things.

In a way, I guess he's expecting/hoping people will be able to implement systems better than he does once modding becomes available, and I sorta can see why he thinks so. Look at Minecraft and all the shit people came up with on it - Notch would have not been able to come up with even a fraction of content like that. So maybe the guy knows his limits or something. But yeah, hopefully he continues to support and improve the game until the modders start adding shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom