Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldurs Gate WS Mod and GUI alt images

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As one of the 4 people on earth that like to play Original Baldur's Gate (when I just want to play it just as it was back in the day), I was messing around with the Widescreen Mod as well at the Widescreen GUI. That said, the 2 graphic options available in the Widescreen GUI I didn't really care for (The mod itself is however AWESOME, as it centers most (not all) of some of the screens in the game so far).

That said, here was me messing around, do any of these look good/interesting to you?

[url=http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7515.png]

[url=http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7516.png]

[url=http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7517.png]

[url=http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7518.png]

[url=http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7519.png]

This is the Start GUI when you start the game. You can click on the links, to see a bigger pic as these are all just thumbnails. The buttons are missing, as this is just the GUI the engine uses for a background, and then it adds the buttons on top of this image.

I'm mainly doing this for myself, but thought what the hell, and see if others might really like this. If not, then screw it. I'll just make it for myself and that's it.

First is the best.
You have to mod the edge of the original picture to make it stick out less.
The cheap and easy way is a frame of some sort.
The hard way is to place those cracks along the border of the picture to make it look embedded.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yes, BBC is right. Do some bevelling on the edges, a wooden frame, etc. Even a drop shadow would make it look better. If you want you can send me the files and I'll do that for you.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK thanks for the tips guys! And thanks for the offer Surf. I think I'll just try to do it my self in GIMP, just so I can get more practice with it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It would look better if the background had something in common with the in-game UI.
You could put a frame in the original background as already mentioned.
You could also try using some of the game's original art/backgrounds.

Thing is, if you want to make it usable for all resolutions, it's gonna be tricky.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'd suggest getting rid of the tiny rendering altogether and replace it with something else, as it will look rather odd no matter what you do with it now.
Kinda like this, but with something more fitting as a background. Perhaps a seamless texture to make it repeatable for different resolutions.
124ar09.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That actually a pretty cool idea Jack. I might fuck around with that idea.. hmm...

Anyways, messing around a bit, I used Surf and ghostdogs idea... combining an in game GUI texture + drop box.. and I think this came out kind of cool...

http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7522.png

edit: This is interesting.... but kind of boring, but fits color GUI wise

http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7523.png

Edit 2 SWEET!

Edit 4

Edit 5

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The new stuff you made looks great, specially the main menu screen with candlekeep on the background.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why don't you try to apply a photoshop filter just to see how it turns out.

Would be pretty cool if you could make some image turn out "concept art" like (think morrowind screen, but monochromatic).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Looking good Jaesun. I was bored and made some by myself, tried to "merge" the picture into the other so it won't stand out too muich, but yours looks better. :)

751244b968.png

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thanks guys! And yeah Surf, ghostdog was right. It just looks better using textures from the original game, as it just fits better (at least to me).

After I finish these with other resolutions, I'll try to figure out a way to contact the polish dude working on this GUI mod, as of course he did not leave any e-mail address to contact him....

EDIT: Could somebody that speaks potato, or is possibly a member on this site: http://athkatla.cob-bg.pl/viewtopic.php?t=3257 and possibly contact Zed Nocear and point him here to this thread or tell him to PM me?

Zuikov

Educated
While you're at it, tell him to add support for a true 16:9 resolution...like 1280x720. What's the idea with putting in 1280x768 and calling it 16:9?

By the way, did you test the pause key interrupting enemy spell-casters thing Jaesun?

Edit: Yea, I know 1280x720 native resolutions are a bit rare in computer monitors, but at least it would be a true 16:9. My 1080p lcd scales pretty well for 720p resolutions. Much sharper than using the Nvidia GPU scaler.
Can it be that hard to add in?

Surf Solar said:
Looking good Jaesun. I was bored and made some by myself, tried to "merge" the picture into the other so it won't stand out too muich, but yours looks better. :)

751244b968.png

you fucking fail
gee how hard is it to use the existing cracks dummy

Stalin

Scholar
i am getting serious slowdowns when using BG 1 engine with ws mod even after disabling direct draw

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Black Bart Charley said:
Surf Solar said:

751244b968.png

you fucking fail
gee how hard is it to use the existing cracks dummy

Eagerly awaiting your contribution to the topic then. :thumbsup:

LordRoyal

Novice
Wait a minute, how do you edit the .mos files? How would you use these images?

As one of the 4 people on earth that like to play Original Baldur's Gate (when I just want to play it just as it was back in the day), I was messing around with the Widescreen Mod as well at the Widescreen GUI. That said, the 2 graphic options available in the Widescreen GUI I didn't really care for (The mod itself is however AWESOME, as it centers most (not all) of some of the screens in the game so far).

That said, here was me messing around, do any of these look good/interesting to you?

Hey Jaesun, did you ever end up finishing this? The WS GUI mod is great but those backgrounds are just horrid.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7519.png

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Hey Jaesun, did you ever end up finishing this? The WS GUI mod is great but those backgrounds are just horrid.

I would have to check my gaming computer hard drive, but if I recall correctly I DID finish a set that was only specifically for 1024x768 (or it might have been 800x600 I forget) resolution. I would still have to actually play through the entire game to ensure all the GUI menus work fine, and I think I discovered one problem so I never finished it, or gave a link to the files here.

Next time I am inspired to ply BG again I'll give it another go and check the GUI stuff I did. But now ironically I have an actual wide screen monitor (I used to have an older 1024x768 LCD monitor but it died on me). Making a GUI for BG is VERY time consuming and you have to spend the time for each and every screen resolution. And there are some other odd stuff that can make the game crash. SHIT IS COMPLICATED!

I would have to check my gaming computer hard drive, but if I recall correctly I DID finish a set that was only specifically for 1024x768 (or it might have been 800x600 I forget) resolution. I would still have to actually play through the entire game to ensure all the GUI menus work fine, and I think I discovered one problem so I never finished it, or gave a link to the files here.

Next time I am inspired to ply BG again I'll give it another go and check the GUI stuff I did. But now ironically I have an actual wide screen monitor (I used to have an older 1024x768 LCD monitor but it died on me). Making a GUI for BG is VERY time consuming and you have to spend the time for each and every screen resolution. And there are some other odd stuff that can make the game crash. SHIT IS COMPLICATED!

So just replacing the .MOS files in the override (after the WS GUI mod installation) just wont cut it? What did you use to convert BMPs back to MOS anyway?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So just replacing the .MOS files in the override (after the WS GUI mod installation) just wont cut it? What did you use to convert BMPs back to MOS anyway?

Yes, all you do is just replace the .MOS files AFTER installing the widescreen GUI mod in the override directory. I used a bunch of different programs to edit and save the MOS files, but off hand I don't remember the names. Just do what I did, a google search for infinity engine editor/tools.

The bmp format is critical when making/saving the MOS files, and if they are not the correct format or something else is wrong, all kinds of weird shit can happen, as I found out heh.

I'm sure ghostdog could share a few horror stories when he worked on his PST GUI mod (which totally fucking kicks ass). :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom