Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
This is from some way back in the thread, but it struck me as odd:

When you insert your real world politics or easter eggs in a scifi or fantasy game you're just shooting yourself in the leg. Because when the player encounters these things he's immediately pulled out of the game world to this one. And he realizes that it's not the character that is speaking to him, it's the writer, usually a moronically shitty one too. And he/she wants to have a word with you. Stop playing and listen.

I fucking hated Gordon of Gekko. Hated that they made me think about a movie about yuppies when I was playing a post-apocalyptic adventure. Hated it. No joke, when I think about FO 2, years after, it's still one of the first things that spring to my mind. I haunts me, that if I ever play FO 2, I'll have to suffer those stupid lines again.

I understand and respect the point you're making, but what leaves me puzzled is this: Fallout 2 went on record for 13 years as the game with the largest amount of pop culture references [dubbed PCR's for short] ever. 13 years. (Dungeons of Dredmor has since 'referenced' the crown.) It takes :effort: to shove that many PCR's into a game, but that's precisely what they did. And yet...you don't seem to notice this fact, how Fallout 2 is drowning in PCR's, until you reach Gecko. It's only there that you find a PCR that geniunely triggers you.

Did you hear a 'whoosh!' sound as all the other PCR's that came before it just went completely over your head? In Klamath, The Den, Mordoc and Vault City? The Star Wars references, Monty Python, Magic: The Gathering? You're being bombarded by PCR's by the very first NPC you talk to in Klamath, the first place you visit after the starting location, and that didn't set you off?

All those PCRs are one of the reasons why Fallout 2 is worse than Fallout 1: The quality of writing took a vertical nosedive. There are PCR's in Fallout 1 as well, but they're more subtle, less in-your-face.

And now I'm hearing that BG: SoD has the same level of writing, only now it's done by talentless hacks with political agendas instead of people just cramming whatever they could fit into the game due to the absurd deadline of the game.
You're forgetting one thing, at least if we're talking about Codex userbase. We have a significant portion of users here who aren't from anglo-countries. Most of those who played on release were teens, and didn't know English that well, not to mention all those sources F2 was referencing. I don't know about potatoland or hueland, but in here in Russia when F2 came out only a small number of people even had dialup. Even if some teen somehow got that that particular line was referencing something, there were no wikis, and lykos, altavista and so on were a dumb search engines, they didn't have google's predict or other advanced functions. So for a significant portion of fans all this shit flew over their heads, I know it flew over mine. And even when we gotten older and more proficient in English and in cultural references, F2 will always have that nostalgia shine which will make us forgive all out-of-place references.

GrainWetski

Arcane
There's quite the difference between annoying pop culture references and throwing in trannies/other deviants because you want to lecture people about "the real world".

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Stainless Veteran No, I'm not forgetting that one thing. I'll admit that cultural bias is a factor, but I think that there's simply too many PCR's running about for someone to be able to get that far in the game without coming across one.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
- beast enemies on open maps respawn way too often, more often than they did in base game.

This is probably a bug.

Enemies are meant to respawn in a couple of wilderness areas, but the process is supposed to be subtle and non-intrusive. For example, you kill a bunch of wolves in a forest and then go exploring a dungeon for a few days. After you come back, a couple of new wolves may or may not appear in the forest (random chance). If it's not working like that, then it's a bug.

Stainless Veteran No, I'm not forgetting that one thing. I'll admit that cultural bias is a factor, but I think that there's simply too many PCR's running about for someone to be able to get that far in the game without coming across one.
You're an Icelander, right? Probably you people have a good school education, at least where it comes to English. Cultural barrier here is much stronger, many people never even played Fallout 2 in English, only Fargus (our most popular pirate translator\publisher back then) version. Which was good, but it definitely threw out many PCR, because to get them all you'll need to be an anglo geek living in 90s.
There's quite the difference between annoying pop culture references and throwing in trannies/other deviants because you want to lecture people about "the real world".
And yeah, what you said. Preaching and lecturing is way more immersion-breaking than random PCR. Also you must take into the account that the classical RPGs userbase aren't teens anymore, we're grumpy men, women and trannies in their 30s-early 40s. It means way less tolerance for stupid shit, I mean, I couldn't finish D:OS due to its dumb wink-wink nudge-nudge writing, if I was still a teen playing with a dictionary I don't think it would have bugged me so. But times have changed, as do we all. But Beamdog went backwards, and instead of pushing nostalgia buttons and more of the same (they had one job, really), they'd pushed all the wrong buttons with their maymays, refugee crisis, proselyting trannies and other assorted inanity.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah. BG had some retarded PCRs, but it never felt preachy.

Edit: What Stainless Veteran said.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I guess Obsidian dodged the bullet here. Now they know to not make any tranny NPCs or other fags in their Tyranny RPG. It's a shame Undertale didn't get such bashing though.
It would be fun if Obsidian inserted something about SJW type ideology being one of the reasons Good failed and Evil conquered the World somehow. Road to Hell being paved with good intentions and all that. Would be hilarious to see their reactions to that assuming they were smart enough to detect it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
goons.txt

I really need to pick this up. I didn't know Amber Scott was one of the writers, she wrote one of my favourite Pathfinder adventures with a rad lesbian trans couple in it.

Trent Oster looked at that and said "Yeah, I want this person writing for my company."

It would be fun if Obsidian inserted something about SJW type ideology being one of the reasons Good failed and Evil conquered the World somehow. Road to Hell being paved with good intentions and all that. Would be hilarious to see their reactions to that assuming they were smart enough to detect it.

Josh Sawyer broached this subject back in 2002 since life is cyclical.

9907.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
- beast enemies on open maps respawn way too often, more often than they did in base game.

This is probably a bug.

Enemies are meant to respawn in a couple of wilderness areas, but the process is supposed to be subtle and non-intrusive. For example, you kill a bunch of wolves in a forest and then go exploring a dungeon for a few days. After you come back, a couple of new wolves may or may not appear in the forest (random chance). If it's not working like that, then it's a bug.
It is working like this (on Insane difficulty):
I clear the whole first map (first army camp map with the Bridge) of spiders and wolves and the rest. I rest one time and it is night now. I go back to spider spawn point on same map, and spiders all respawned. I clear them. I move one screen away so that area goes into fog of war and come back 5 minutes later and all spiders respawned. I clear them again, I move a bit north on same map, a big group of dire wolves are there that I didn't fight during day (if enemy groups spawn only during day or night that is super cool) and I clear them. Move a bit northwest on same map. When I come back 5 minutes later, dire wolf group is back. I clear them, move towards those spiders to see if they are back and yes, they are back again... (I skip clearing spiders again because it is getting too much now even with all the free XP).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
goons.txt

I really need to pick this up. I didn't know Amber Scott was one of the writers, she wrote one of my favourite Pathfinder adventures with a rad lesbian trans couple in it.

Trent Oster looked at that and said "Yeah, I want this person writing for my company."

Interesting that you failed to anticipate this ahead of time, focusing on Phillip Daigle instead: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ragonspear-twitch-stream.106805/#post-4369200

I clear the whole first map (first army camp map with the Bridge) or spiders and wolves and the rest. I rest one time and it is night now. I go back to the map, spiders all respawned. I clear them. I move one screen away so that area goes into fog of war and come back 5 minutes later and all spiders respawned. I clear them again, I move a bit north on same map, a bit group of dire wolves are there that I didn't fight during day (if enemy groups spawn only during day or night that is super cool) and I clear them. Move a bit northwest on same map. When I come back 5 minutes later, dire wolf group is back. I clear them, move towards those spiders to see if they are back and yes, they are back again... (I skip clearing spiders again because it is getting too much now even with all the free XP).

Did you reload a saved game during those five minutes? That would be vanilla BG1 behavior (particularly memorable after fighting your way to the top of the gnoll fortress)

ArchAngel

Arcane
goons.txt

Interesting that you failed to anticipate this ahead of time, focusing on Phillip Daigle instead: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ragonspear-twitch-stream.106805/#post-4369200

I clear the whole first map (first army camp map with the Bridge) or spiders and wolves and the rest. I rest one time and it is night now. I go back to the map, spiders all respawned. I clear them. I move one screen away so that area goes into fog of war and come back 5 minutes later and all spiders respawned. I clear them again, I move a bit north on same map, a bit group of dire wolves are there that I didn't fight during day (if enemy groups spawn only during day or night that is super cool) and I clear them. Move a bit northwest on same map. When I come back 5 minutes later, dire wolf group is back. I clear them, move towards those spiders to see if they are back and yes, they are back again... (I skip clearing spiders again because it is getting too much now even with all the free XP).

Did you reload a saved game during those five minutes? That would be vanilla BG1 behavior (particularly memorable after fighting your way to the top of the gnoll fortress)
Not that I remember. Outside of those fights I didn't do much , after first night clear of spiders I talked to some dead goblins and after clearing spiders(again) and wolves I went north west to access overland map to see if there is any other maps to travel to but I didn't travel to any, just pressed ESC and went back to finish major side quest on current map before visiting others.

Space Insect

Arcane
They shut down the devs beg thread!
I think this thread has done about as much good as it's ever going to. If you haven't posted a review and you enjoyed the game enough to tell people about it, please do. You can also post a review if you didn't like the game, although obviously we would rather you enjoyed the game than not. All other discussion about the issue is moot. Thread closed.
They've begun banning people who are rational about this issue and then they let these people be free:
I am a bigot when it comes to trolls attempted to sabotage the possibility of BG3. All such trolls are scum. I hate internet trolls. There! I said it! I want all internet trolls to burn in hell!!!!!

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
You know, SJW's won't stand a chance if they try to defend their agenda by facts. Reason why things go the way they go.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well this was a fun read. Gonna have to acquire the original installers for BG, it looks like, if only out of spite.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That storymode is effectively god-mode, gives you Invulnerability and what not. Sounds like in-game god mode. Can't see why any self-respecting game journo who would- oh wait.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
As a person not living in western country, I don't think I will never understand about the issue people have about one character being shit.
I mean, if the whole game reeks of SJW/pollitical agenda or something I think it is a valid point to be angry. But one NPC? Let's just agree that it is shit writing and move on.

To be fair, the writer attitude doesn't really help. Instead of being polite and using rational argument on her stance, her response basically boils down to "Don't like what I am writing? Fuck yourself." Blemishing a known and loved franchise might not be the smartest idea either.
But on the other hand , the reverse SJW is acting like a SJW would is as annoying.

SJW: DAT CHARACTER TOO SEXY! WOMAN AS SEX SYMBOL! NO GAY/BI? ANTI LGBT/HOMOPHOBIC! POLITICAL CONTENT? GAMING NOT SAFE PLACE!

Reverse SJW: A SHIT WRITTEN GAY CHARACTER IN MY GAME? SJW PROPAGANDA SJW PROPAGANDA! POLITICAL CORRECTNESS? SJW IS RUINING GAMING!

EDIT: God, the whole Gamer Gate thing was silly and fuck both side that make such simple issue overblown.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Addition to the tranny, the game reeks from 'strong independent womyn who are also ugly" -syndrome. Which is fucking annoying and not realistic at all. I don't even know why we should care about a game being realistic, but that is what the Beamdog writer's are using as an excuse for their SJW'ing, so I guess we have to do the same.

Like one strong female character? Fine, but every character got the same treatment. Last time I checked MOST women are... you know feminine and like being that way, and most men like being masculine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom