Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Released

mastroego

Arcane
So, this forum is not civilized at all? I'm quite new here but aren't here some cultural rules applied, moderators?
This is the point where we should ask "whose alt is that?" I guess.
I like the "cultural rules" thing tho.
You might be onto something.

Mustawd

alternatively, one might comment: 'sup Drog

Have you given up your moderator campaign? Or just tired of politics? I can understand it can be pretty demoralizing in today's political climate.
The Lambchop19 for Moderator campaign is on hold until we receive more funding. If you'd like to donate, please contact my campaign manager DarkUnderlord. :M

We'll see. I've been pretty burnt out myself. I have a feeling that the whole system is rigged and one man is pulling all the strings on this forum.

codex_parrot.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
So, this forum is not civilized at all? I'm quite new here but aren't here some cultural rules applied, moderators?
Of course. You are not supposed to talk about pirating games, selling drugs, doing child slavery, or molesting underage children. But if you want to deny Holocaust or insult any kind of LGBT you are more than welcome. Oh also any colored people or of different sex are also fair game.
Have fun :P

Xenich

Cipher
So has anyone seen these so called "threat" posts to the devs Trent was going on about? I know they don't exist on the steam forums, and everything here is simply insults, not threats. Being that this forum is pretty open about stuff, where are these at?

mastroego

Arcane
It's obviously made up threats.
But all considering, I was expecting the victim card to be played full throttle. I guess after a couple of days the reality of abysmal reviews and bad sales has started to sink in, and they finally decided to think 10 seconds before typing anything else.

Weasel
It's obviously made up threats.
But all considering, I was expecting the victim card to be played full throttle. I guess after a couple of days the reality of abysmal reviews and bad sales has started to sink in, and they finally decided to think 10 seconds before typing anything else.

Give it a couple of weeks and their will be sympathetic interviews with all involved about the terrible abuse they're suffered.

Saduj

Arcane
They are changing the trans character because people from both sides say it is badly written. The only real concession they are making to the original fan base is taking out the GG reference.

Telengard

Arcane
I'm surprised they're making any concessions at all. Source?
I'm ashamed of the devs by Wytchblade
This 'product' has many problems and people have properly divulged them but I wanted to add in my voice, being a transgender woman myself. That character they added is atrocious and apparently the "writers" have never even met a sane trans-woman. They seem to think for us, our gender/sexuality is ALL we have, all that we are. It's understandable that people would despise such a poorly written character, but I fear it will only help to reflect badly on people who really have this condition and struggle with it continuously. Furthermore, being trans is hardly as much fun as they seem to believe, and I really wish I would not have to deal with this nonsense in a game like that. When I enter a fantasy world I can play a real born woman, which is what I want to be, and not deal with my past. Neither should anyone else when they play games to unwind and have fun. It's easy to understand why this stuff causes some people discomfort, heck, it even does, to myself in a way. I just.. have no words. While feigning to be progressive, tolerant, and understanding, people like these who ruin good old games in such a way are in truth, the most ignorant lot of them all. Avoid this. Avoid it like it's full of syphilis and make the creators learn that no one wants to be lectured by imbeciles.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51161/beamdog-statement-on-siege-of-dragonspear

I'm Trent Oster, CEO of Beamdog.

First off, everyone here is ecstatic to have shipped Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. Siege represents years of hard work by a dedicated team that we grew from a combination of home grown talent, original Baldur's Gate modders and former Bioware developers. Siege of Dragonspear represents more than 25 hours of new Baldur’s Gate gameplay, and more than 500,000 words of writing. I’m proud of our team for launching this great expansion.

We’ve received feedback around Mizhena, a supporting character who reveals she is transgender. In retrospect, it would have been better served if we had introduced a transgender character with more development. This is a lesson we will be carrying forward in our development as creators and we will be improving this character in a future update.

The last few days have showed us how passionately many of our fans care for our games. We've had a lot of great feedback from players who love the expansion and are having a great time experiencing the first new Baldur's Gate story in 15 years.
While we appreciate all feedback we receive from our fans, both positive as well as negative, some of the negative feedback has focused not on Siege of Dragonspear but on individual developers at Beamdog -- to the point of online threats and harassment.

I just want to make it crystal clear that Beamdog does not condone this behavior, and moreover that it will not have the desired effect as we stand behind all our developers 100%. We created the game as a group, and moving forward we'll work on the game's issues as a group, which I believe is exactly as it should be.

We’ve received valuable feedback around some bugs we failed to catch for ship. We're hard at work right now patching up the issues that slipped through and we're striving to ship fixes and improvements quickly. We will provide a complete list of the issues we plan to address in our next update. Issues of note we are addressing are:

Multiplayer – We are acting on reports of multiplayer issues and hope to have this fixed in the next update.

Minsc – Minsc has a line which generated controversy. Looking back on the line, we agree with the feedback from our community, it has nothing to do with his character and we will be removing the line.

We hope all our players continue to enjoy Siege of Dragonspear and we look forward to providing an update in the near future.

Regards,
-Trent

DarkArcher

Educated
Actually, I gotta say this doesn't quite wash for me. If Beamdog had taken this stance when the issue first broke that would have been fine.

Doing it now, is just waving the white flag that they can't take any more bashing from the gamer community. Amber Scott became the focal point because she put her values ahead of the fans and the writing and bugs aren't up to snuff. She basically thumbed her nose at people. Nobody should ever be threatened or harassed, but perhaps next time folks will remember to take a position without making it antagonistic.

Dreaad Fair point about developers being bullied... It is a sad state if developers get pushed into being PC or being dictated too. However, Beamdog is following up by making DLC for a game Bioware made. They aren't meeting expectations and they are hearing about it in a big way. How should gamers express themselves about it?

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Oh good, more developers being bullied by mobs into changing their game so that no one is offended :roll:

Offended is probably the wrong term here. People complaining generally don't have a moral objection to anything included in the game.

Annoyed by Beamdog's attitude is probably closer to the truth.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Fair enough. I just find the whole process unsettling. If the game is shit, don't buy it, give logical bad reviews. Don't contact the developer and start telling him/her they are the scum of the earth. Yeah sure sometimes they are, but the end result is just covering everything and everyone in shit. Next time (if there is one) the writing will be even more bland and boring because the developers will dread pissing off anyone at all.

Who knows, I guess maybe that way they will focus on good writing instead of shoving modern politics into a fantasy setting but I doubt it.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Fair enough. I just find the whole process unsettling. If the game is shit, don't buy it, give logical bad reviews. Don't contact the developer and start telling him/her they are the scum of the earth. Yeah sure sometimes they are, but the end result is just covering everything and everyone in shit. Next time (if there is one) the writing will be even more bland and boring because the developers will dread pissing off anyone at all.

Who knows, I guess maybe that way they will focus on good writing instead of shoving modern politics into a fantasy setting but I doubt it.

They're hack writers no matter their focus, so any changes they make won't make the writing any better. That stoner dialogue should be pinned all around their offices to remind them that they suck.

Telengard

Arcane

Artists are egotistical twerps. Not insulting them doesn't make their work better. Insulting them sometimes makes their work better, but not usually. And no lessons will be learned. And nothing will change. Because another new artist will come along soon who is just as ignorant of the rules of the Marketplace, and this whole thing will happen again. As it has been, as it is, and as it ever will be.

duanth123

Arcane
next time (if there is one) the writing will be even more bland and boring because the developers will dread pissing off anyone at all.

Or maybe just don't hire incompetents is the lesson to be learned here.

Having read Amber Scott's bio, she was shockingly unequipped to be lead writer on what is in essence a sequel to one of the most cherished RPGs of all time.

If I were Trent, I'd have slashed any part of the budget for this game would it have afforded me the opportunity to hire half-decent writers.

ALL of this could have been avoided.

Art Vandelay

Prophet
Only thing Beamdog has going for them is that they tried,but the result is still not even good for what it is. Their added "content" sticks out as sore thumb even in BG1 ,which is a sucess on its own. And SOD...well that shit reminds me of Diablo.In a worst possible way.

Also fags.:timetoburn:

Ausdoerrt

Augur
So has anyone seen these so called "threat" posts to the devs Trent was going on about? I know they don't exist on the steam forums, and everything here is simply insults, not threats. Being that this forum is pretty open about stuff, where are these at?
I'm pretty sure stuff like telling people not to buy the game is a direct threat to their wallets and summer vacations :smug:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Actually, I gotta say this doesn't quite wash for me. If Beamdog had taken this stance when the issue first broke that would have been fine.
Yep.

Doing it now, is just waving the white flag that they can't take any more bashing from the gamer community. Amber Scott became the focal point because she put her values ahead of the fans and the writing and bugs aren't up to snuff. She basically thumbed her nose at people.
Just do not force-feed ideologies into games through horrible writing and cliché processes, then complain about being bullied when people call you on your bullshit. Scott stated her goal long time ago and it never had anything to do with writing any good story. She's ONLY here to push her ideology.

Nobody should ever be threatened or harassed, but perhaps next time folks will remember to take a position without making it antagonistic.
What? Fuck that. If someone's gonna spend her/his days and nights throwing stupid shit around and widely accusing people of all the -ism and -phobes in the world, they fucking deserve to be threatened and harassed. Don't fuck with people if you don't want to get fucked with, especially if you can't cope.
edit: Just to clarify, I meant over the net of course, which means nothing really and only affects these fucks if at all. I'm not talking about physical threats and shit. Any retard would understand that first hand but just making sure :)

Dreaad Fair point about developers being bullied... It is a sad state if developers get pushed into being PC or being dictated too. However, Beamdog is following up by making DLC for a game Bioware made. They aren't meeting expectations and they are hearing about it in a big way. How should gamers express themselves about it?
That's because they're product is bullshit, they know it and don't really believe in it. They behave like children trying to be clever, and lost the entire point: making a fucking game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom