Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Released

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Hi. I am looking for the thread where people talk about the game.

RPGWatch is a safe bet, I'm sure they're only talking about the mechanics and..... oh

5gsqKGv.jpg
It's true though. Every tranny I've met has tried to pass themselves off as a woman, no matter how obvious they are. If the character were written by a real tranny, you would find out they were a tranny midway through the game and be oh-so-shocked. This was pretty clearly either shoehorned social justice propaganda or some sort of social justice fanfic.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's true though. Every tranny I've met has tried to pass themselves off as a woman, no matter how obvious they are. If the character were written by a real tranny, you would find out they were a tranny midway through the game and be oh-so-shocked. This was pretty clearly either shoehorned social justice propaganda or some sort of social justice fanfic.

Yeah, my buddy who's a mtf is actually offended/upset if people talk to ... her as a man instead of a woman. This, even though he looks like a dude with a bad wig. Going and telling a perfect stranger about her nature is about the last thing I can see her doing.

Yeah, my buddy who's a mtf is actually offended/upset if people talk to ... her as a man instead of a woman. This, even though he looks like a dude with a bad wig. Going and telling a perfect stranger about her nature is about the last thing I can see her doing.
Yep. Only a social justice zombie would think it would play out like that.

I was taking a cab to the airport once and a tranny with a 5 o'clock shadow was in the cab with me - purely coincidence, men. He was blathering about the weather or something and I was trying to smile, nod and carry on a polite conversation with him even though his voice and overall look reminded me of Kevin Bacon in a sundress. He got out of the cab and the driver turned back to me and said with a foreign accent: "THAT WAS NOT A WOMAN!", as if I didn't know. True story, breh.:M

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Neither Minsc's GG comment or the transsexual shopkeeper are a big deal, but Beamdog's PR is wrong headed.

None of it's a big deal. It's a video game. But that doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Did you just fucking imply that watch is a better place?

motherfucker do you want my fist in your face?
They made positive reviews for both Underrail and Serpent of the Staglands. Codex made 7 useless reviews for PoE. You decide...
I didn't find anything, guess I need a quest compass. Are you a buttblasted tranny or not?
I cba to find it so let me quote myself from Watch where attacked in same way by same kind of person:
I you read my previous posts I said I am not part of the LGBT community. I don't fight for any side of the battle. Outside of this topic I have not been part of any political battles, I even bashed DAI for all the LGBT content because they went too far and I bashed Fallout 4 for making every NPC be a bixesual as that is nonsensical.

ArchAngel

Arcane
On topic, I love this post:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/740818/#Comment_740818
And just to add, with reference to critiquing the quality of writing in Siege of Dragonspear, I shall repost an observation I made on another thread about my current no-reload run of BGEE. (I am now in the city itself, if anyone is interested, and going strong!)

In my current no-reload run of BGEE I broke into a womans house in the middle of the night by forcing the door open (I know, I'm not proud of my actions). The woman's immeadiate reaction was to tell me to keep the noise down. I then proceeded to ask the woman whether she had any information on the mines. Her response wasn't to call the guards, or scream at me to get out, or to beg for her life, but instead to tell this well armed bunch of adventurers and killers that men have been dissapearing from the mines, and that her husband works their but hasn't been home for weeks.

Now, I know its a game. I know its not real. But when confronted by a bunch of well armed burglars who have broken into my house in the middle of the night, I know what my first thought/reaction would be. And it wouldn't be to ask them to keep the nosie down, and then have a conversation about my husband/wife's workplace.

Is this an example of bad writing? Has the forum been inundated by posts over the last few days that this example of bad writing needs removing. That it needs to be rewritten. That it breaks people's immersion in the game? That it ruins their overall enjoyment of BGEE and warrants a score of 0 out of 10 for the whole game on so many game review sites?

Anyway, as I said when I posted this observation earlier, I didn't dwell on the incident, took the ring back and she was happy. Job done!

Actually, and what I didn't admit earlier, was that I had already cleared out the mines and had the ring in my possession, and I smashed down that poor woman's door to trigger the quest and then immeadiately give her the ring. It was still job done though!

paintinggrey

Scholar
Can't believe what i am reading, this gotten to 22 pages. Everyone is fucking stupid, specially sjw and gamergate.

Shin

Cipher
And just to add, with reference to critiquing the quality of writing in Siege of Dragonspear, I shall repost an observation I made on another thread about my current no-reload run of BGEE. (I am now in the city itself, if anyone is interested, and going strong!)

In my current no-reload run of BGEE I broke into a womans house in the middle of the night by forcing the door open (I know, I'm not proud of my actions). The woman's immeadiate reaction was to tell me to keep the noise down. I then proceeded to ask the woman whether she had any information on the mines. Her response wasn't to call the guards, or scream at me to get out, or to beg for her life, but instead to tell this well armed bunch of adventurers and killers that men have been dissapearing from the mines, and that her husband works their but hasn't been home for weeks.

Now, I know its a game. I know its not real. But when confronted by a bunch of well armed burglars who have broken into my house in the middle of the night, I know what my first thought/reaction would be. And it wouldn't be to ask them to keep the nosie down, and then have a conversation about my husband/wife's workplace.

Is this an example of bad writing? Has the forum been inundated by posts over the last few days that this example of bad writing needs removing. That it needs to be rewritten. That it breaks people's immersion in the game? That it ruins their overall enjoyment of BGEE and warrants a score of 0 out of 10 for the whole game on so many game review sites?

Anyway, as I said when I posted this observation earlier, I didn't dwell on the incident, took the ring back and she was happy. Job done!

Actually, and what I didn't admit earlier, was that I had already cleared out the mines and had the ring in my possession, and I smashed down that poor woman's door to trigger the quest and then immeadiately give her the ring. It was still job done though!

I'm playing through BG:EE at the moment and I'm surprised by the amount of times you'll enter someone's (usually locked) dwelling after which they'll kindly ask you to get the hell out or they'll call the guards. Everyone wants to have dynamic responses to every possible situation in a RPG, sure, it'd be neat if they actually 'enhanced' BG to the point that happened, but it's quite obvious that such content/systems take a shitload of time which can be spend on other, meaningful things. Either way it's apples an oranges because BG is a 16 year old game and SoD hasn't been out for a week. Maybe people did complain about the shitty writing back then, I don't fucking know.

Space Insect

Arcane

There is a difference between inherently bad writing and lack of scripting for situations. (Not defending BG's writing that much btw)

Murk

Arcane
Actually the "adventurers break in fully armed and pump npc for information" trope has been bashed thoroughly on the codex, on very old threads no less (like the rpg tropes/cliche one).

ArchAngel

Arcane

There is a difference between inherently bad writing and lack of scripting for situations. (Not defending BG's writing that much btw)
The end result is that both look bad and only one of them caused a internet shitstorm.. the one about LGBT stuff. People that blame bad writing are just not being truthful.

Drowed

Arcane
It's bad writing about a specific thing.

Everyone expects some level of "bad writing/scripting/etc" in any game, sometimes they even like it (Skyrim's buckets). But [bad writing]+[bad/antagonistic PR]+[political/ideological themes] = shitstorm. It's that simple.

LGBT is an example of it, but I bet that if they somehow talked about abortion, so poorly written and superficial as what they did, the reaction wouldn't be that much better.

----

EDIT: Hell, Dragon Age has a trans and I didn't see 1/10th of this shit about it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well this happened: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51161/beamdog-statement-on-siege-of-dragonspear/
I'm Trent Oster, CEO of Beamdog.

First off, everyone here is ecstatic to have shipped Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. Siege represents years of hard work by a dedicated team that we grew from a combination of home grown talent, original Baldur's Gate modders and former Bioware developers. Siege of Dragonspear represents more than 25 hours of new Baldur’s Gate gameplay, and more than 500,000 words of writing. I’m proud of our team for launching this great expansion.

We’ve received feedback around Mizhena, a supporting character who reveals she is transgender. In retrospect, it would have been better served if we had introduced a transgender character with more development. This is a lesson we will be carrying forward in our development as creators and we will be improving this character in a future update.

The last few days have showed us how passionately many of our fans care for our games. We've had a lot of great feedback from players who love the expansion and are having a great time experiencing the first new Baldur's Gate story in 15 years.
While we appreciate all feedback we receive from our fans, both positive as well as negative, some of the negative feedback has focused not on Siege of Dragonspear but on individual developers at Beamdog -- to the point of online threats and harassment.

I just want to make it crystal clear that Beamdog does not condone this behavior, and moreover that it will not have the desired effect as we stand behind all our developers 100%. We created the game as a group, and moving forward we'll work on the game's issues as a group, which I believe is exactly as it should be.

We’ve received valuable feedback around some bugs we failed to catch for ship. We're hard at work right now patching up the issues that slipped through and we're striving to ship fixes and improvements quickly. We will provide a complete list of the issues we plan to address in our next update. Issues of note we are addressing are:

Multiplayer – We are acting on reports of multiplayer issues and hope to have this fixed in the next update.

Minsc – Minsc has a line which generated controversy. Looking back on the line, we agree with the feedback from our community, it has nothing to do with his character and we will be removing the line.

We hope all our players continue to enjoy Siege of Dragonspear and we look forward to providing an update in the near future.

Regards,
-Trent

Shin

Cipher
Didn't see that coming actually, thought they'd get all ideological about it and shit. Might be a case in where it's Amber Scott's feelings vs. the rest of the development team's feelings here at play. I can imagine feeling like shit if you worked on SoD for years (idk, designing combat encounters or whatever they do), don't care for SJWing and eventually see it all crumble because of the faggotry writing. Now only if they 'changed' Safana too, I'd be .. pretty content. Maybe even hopeful that if they ever put out another project, it won't be SJW pandering shit (at least in the context of 'enhancing' established franchises).

Weasel
Must have taken a while to work out that middle ground, at last it's something sensible after the clusterfuck that their communication has been. I wondered how long it would take to get a vague mention of "online threats", seems par for the course with every internet spat these days. And at least they're taking that cringeworthy GG line out, that was a completely unnecessary retarded move so it's good they haven't dug in their heels over that one.

Mustawd

Yeah, people's jobs are at stake. I doubt they want to circle the wagons for just a two liner trans character. But they all but admitted that she kind of screwed up the writing pretty badly there.

Xenich

Cipher
Well this happened: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51161/beamdog-statement-on-siege-of-dragonspear/
I'm Trent Oster, CEO of Beamdog.

First off, everyone here is ecstatic to have shipped Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. Siege represents years of hard work by a dedicated team that we grew from a combination of home grown talent, original Baldur's Gate modders and former Bioware developers. Siege of Dragonspear represents more than 25 hours of new Baldur’s Gate gameplay, and more than 500,000 words of writing. I’m proud of our team for launching this great expansion.

We’ve received feedback around Mizhena, a supporting character who reveals she is transgender. In retrospect, it would have been better served if we had introduced a transgender character with more development. This is a lesson we will be carrying forward in our development as creators and we will be improving this character in a future update.

The last few days have showed us how passionately many of our fans care for our games. We've had a lot of great feedback from players who love the expansion and are having a great time experiencing the first new Baldur's Gate story in 15 years.
While we appreciate all feedback we receive from our fans, both positive as well as negative, some of the negative feedback has focused not on Siege of Dragonspear but on individual developers at Beamdog -- to the point of online threats and harassment.

I just want to make it crystal clear that Beamdog does not condone this behavior, and moreover that it will not have the desired effect as we stand behind all our developers 100%. We created the game as a group, and moving forward we'll work on the game's issues as a group, which I believe is exactly as it should be.

We’ve received valuable feedback around some bugs we failed to catch for ship. We're hard at work right now patching up the issues that slipped through and we're striving to ship fixes and improvements quickly. We will provide a complete list of the issues we plan to address in our next update. Issues of note we are addressing are:

Multiplayer – We are acting on reports of multiplayer issues and hope to have this fixed in the next update.

Minsc – Minsc has a line which generated controversy. Looking back on the line, we agree with the feedback from our community, it has nothing to do with his character and we will be removing the line.

We hope all our players continue to enjoy Siege of Dragonspear and we look forward to providing an update in the near future.

Regards,
-Trent

/facepalm

Notice how they do not apologize for their developers comments and insults, but then turn around and try to lecture people about proper behavior when responding to their developers.

Beamdog, you guys are fucking idiots and your company should go bankrupt. Fucking pathetic.

Xenich

Cipher
Yeah, people's jobs are at stake. I doubt they want to circle the wagons for just a two liner trans character. But they all but admitted that she kind of screwed up the writing pretty badly there.

It was the principal of it. FFS any idiot could have went into the game and edited out all that shit, or replaced all their SJW bullshit. The issue was 1) Them pushing their politics so stupidly and blatantly and 2) Treating those who had objections like they were toilet paper.

None of which they directly dealt with (no real dealing with the sexism comments, changes in the game, etc...)

BD, you lose... you are shit in my book and everyone I know, everyone I see that comes up about gaming will know your stupid tactics. Good luck with your politicking, I hope it pays off!

So, this forum is not civilized at all? I'm quite new here but aren't here some cultural rules applied, moderators?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom