Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Opening Cutscene and Gameplay Snippets at GameSpot

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm mostly just interested whether it has good encounter design.

What's the general consensus here, if I want to play through BG's (or just either of them) should I use the (modded) original or EE? Checked that SCS is compatible with EE's, which is the main mod I care about (plus widescreen etc.).

EE with mods is the best option. I run a long list and didn't find anything incompatible, but I don't run any of the (bad) mega mods.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Uhm Baldurs Gate 2 is regarded as the superior game in the series by a large majority. Why should they go for BG1 style then?

Because this is an expansion to BG1 and not BG2. And it should continue with the style of the game its expanding on.

Also, i dont view BG2 as superior, as was mentioned before, a lot of people played it for the npc's and not the game world and combat, spawning the entire rpg romance fetiche and degenerate fuckers like Gaider gaining prominence later on.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Because this is an expansion to BG1 and not BG2. And it should continue with the style of the game its expanding on.

Also, i dont view BG2 as superior

I share this view. BG2 is so overrated on the 'Dex... so many drivel-lovin' munchkins. What was Gaider's role in BG1, if any? I seem to recall that the lead writer of BG1 was Luke K, an extremely versatile writer who went on to write ME2 chars.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
David Gaider was not a Bioware employee during BG1's development.

Space Insect

Arcane
It's too bad they won't put Gaider where he belongs. He used to be very good at combat and encounter design back in the Ascension days.

Or send him to a firing squad. Either works.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Also, i dont view BG2 as superior, as was mentioned before, a lot of people played it for the npc's and not the game world and combat, spawning the entire rpg romance fetiche and degenerate fuckers like Gaider gaining prominence later on.

:notsureifserious:

Blaming BG2 for Gaider's later travesties makes about as much sense as shitting all over Morrowind because some of the people that worked on it also worked on Oblivion.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Can't these guys make their own game instead of milking an almost 20 year old game. *sigh* Just go make a new game already, be it Baldur's Gate 3 or reboot or something else.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Blaming BG2 for Gaider's later travesties makes about as much sense as shitting all over Morrowind because some of the people that worked on it also worked on Oblivion.

You are having somesort of reading difficulty with what i posted.

spawning the entire rpg romance fetiche and degenerate fuckers like Gaider gaining prominence later on.

Baldurs Gate 2 started the entire mainstream gaming fixation with romances in rpg's, Gaider being one of the lead writers in the "romance in rpg's" trend that infected later bioware rpg's.

MrMarbles

Cipher

spawning the entire rpg romance fetiche and degenerate fuckers like Gaider gaining prominence later on.

Baldurs Gate 2 started the entire mainstream gaming fixation with romances in rpg's, Gaider being one of the lead writers in the "romance in rpg's" trend that infected later bioware rpg's.

Unless there's a huge difference between "spawning the entire rpg romance" and "started the entire mainstream gaming fixation with romances", I heard you the first time. I'm saying that the shitty romances in later bio-games were not caused by the companions in BG2, in the same way the crappiness of Oblivion was not caused by the problems with Morrowind.

Also I haven't seen much evidence here, on gamefaqs, rpgwatch, steam, gog or whatever for your statement that a "lot of people played it for the npc's and not the game world and combat", but that's not the main point.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The problem with the combat in bg2 was the ridiculously high level, the player and npcs were walking gods, fighting Dragons, throwing around absurd high level spells, facing dozens of enemies that by their own level and skill would have conquered countries instead of roaming around the map picking on the party of adventurers shooting lightning from their eyes.

Bg1 combat was more entertaining for its low level.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
I play BG2 mainly for its combat too.

There are hundreds of pages online where fans discuss BG2 fights. And that was before the Beamdog editions, so we are talking about a 2000 AD game.

Azarkon

Arcane

Unless there's a huge difference between "spawning the entire rpg romance" and "started the entire mainstream gaming fixation with romances", I heard you the first time. I'm saying that the shitty romances in later bio-games were not caused by the companions in BG2, in the same way the crappiness of Oblivion was not caused by the problems with Morrowind.

Also I haven't seen much evidence here, on gamefaqs, rpgwatch, steam, gog or whatever for your statement that a "lot of people played it for the npc's and not the game world and combat", but that's not the main point.

Didn't the Japanese start it all with their dating simulation games? I remember Planescape: Torment was influenced by Japanese RPGs, which in turn was influenced by Japanese dating simulation games, etc.

Johannes

Arcane
The problem with the combat in bg2 was the ridiculously high level, the player and npcs were walking gods, fighting Dragons, throwing around absurd high level spells, facing dozens of enemies that by their own level and skill would have conquered countries instead of roaming around the map picking on the party of adventurers shooting lightning from their eyes.
Problem?

they really don't have improvements over the interface at all? Seriously I find that going back from Pillars to BG it's a hell lot of work because you can't see the inventory for every character on screen. No to mention comparing items or double click to auto equip.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:roll:

With all the changes to the UI it's still not enough for some people. Perhaps some games are just not meant for you?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm of the opposite opinion - I find the inventory UI of BG/BGII to be far superior to that of PoE.

Last edited:
I find it OK in a game like Underrail to micromanage the inventory because you have a single character but when you have 6 of them there should be improvements to quality of life as many devs are naming it nowadays.
The most important aspect is the radius of the loot that I first seen it in Wasteland 2 and further in PoE. I think that option is a must as long as you have the option to disable it. Another good one is speeding the time or slow it

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I find it OK in a game like Underrail to micromanage the inventory because you have a single character but when you have 6 of them there should be improvements to quality of life as many devs are naming it nowadays.
The most important aspect is the radius of the loot that I first seen it in Wasteland 2 and further in PoE. I think that option is a must as long as you have the option to disable it. Another good one is speeding the time or slow it
Oh I don't mind quality of life improvements. I just don't see any improvements in PoE.

Let's imagine the following situation:
1. Character X has a sword in his inventory.
2. You have character Y active in the inventory screen (you see his model on the left)
3. You right click the sword to view its properties.

Question: The sword's properties window will show the stats modified per which character's base attributes? X or Y?

I've only discovered the answer by experimentation. It's not documented anywhere. I've reported the behavior as a bug, no one took notice. I'm amazed this even got through QA, but I guess QA had bigger issues in their hands and there has been indication they were very understaffed.

As pretty much everything in this game, the UI wasn't thought out well before they set to making it. Because the game is made by people who have no experience with PnP, no experience with the IE games, and are casual players themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom