Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Opening Cutscene and Gameplay Snippets at GameSpot

Lucky

Arcane
The intro and voice acting are top notch. The new music is great too.

:greatjob:

The cutscene also suggests that this there is only one huge battle in the entire game. All good in my book.

This was officially the most pathetic, desperate attempt at nostalgia grab I have ever seen. Combat is an amateurish mess, artwork looks like it was vomited out by a dog, and trailer was as pisspoorly edited as it was narrated.

Bipolar much, mister Calavera?

34scell

Augur
Having larger battles is the only justification for RTwP i.e. Curst.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
A bad intro doesn´t make a bad game . I give them the benefit of the doubt, because they have:
+ David Warner
+ Jim Cummings
+ Black outlines optional
+ Interesting difficulty scaling

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Funny how the black outline is one of the most discussion evoking subjects on the Youtube comments (not for the good btw).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
A bad intro doesn´t make a bad game . I give them the benefit of the doubt, because they have:
+ David Warner
+ Jim Cummings
+ Black outlines optional
+ Interesting difficulty scaling
On the other hand... Their handling of the baldurs gate 1 & 2 enhanced editions tip the scale so far into the negative that it tempers all expectations s into pure pessimism.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Funny how the black outline is one of the most discussion evoking subjects on the Youtube comments (not for the good btw).
Goes to show how poorly handled this is. They should have kept those optional enhancements for a different video.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
How would anyone look at that video and think "wow, I must have this". I don't get it.

corvax

Augur
I'm a little disappointed with the character models. They look worse than in the original games. I can't put my finger on it but something is off. Inever played any of the enhanced games and pre-ordered the collector's edition mainly for Siege but I see it will take a while to get used to it.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I'll buy this (well after release), play it and enjoy it.

Frankly you can't go that wrong with the infinity engine and levels 7-11. I've seen some horrific encounters within mods in my time and even those were playable because the engine itself makes it interesting. Even if they make all the items +X with no special effects, level scale the entire game and randomize loot. It will still be better than PoE.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been replaying IWD since Friday. The even, human-manageable combat pacing makes combat feel superior to PoE by leaps and bounds.

The fact every class doesn't have no-brainer "per encounter" magic spells ("talents") which you have to manually pause and click, turns low level combat into a "select all; auto-attack" affair most of the time, yet the way they've translated AD&D combat makes waiting for everyone's individual timer and to-hit roll just as nail-biting as it would have been in a PnP game.

Lack of "long-term health" means dead characters have to be revived or you have to replay the battle. Although I was in favor of the health/endurance mechanic, I must admit that combat becomes much more intense without it.

The writing is more concise and ironically reads (at least for me) more "down-to-fantasy-earth" than PoE's pretentious and heavy style, strangely marketed as "low-key fantasy".

So far, the two things PoE has going for itself are the area art (obviously) although the base PoE areas are generally smaller than IWD's areas, and the fact that you get much more options for what to say in dialogue, though having many options doesn't result in as many quest outcomes.

These things being said, and knowing of SoD's improved enemy AI, I don't think PoE would be able to hold a candle to it in the combat department. As for the narrative department, it remains to be seen, but I think that's one of (base) PoE's weakest sides as it is.

Last edited:

Mustawd

i wonder (seriously)

...what aren't these games turn-based? i watched the video and the weird system of attack and wait animations running in loop reminded me of those old games that were turn-based that used to come out on DOS like wing commander and ultima

Dude...you're preaching to the choir. RTwP needs to die in a fire. I don't even understand how this shit still exists in 2016.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the thing is people tout it as now being "mobile-friendly" and yet, (as the Japanese have discovered with their plethora of DRPG's on mobile devices)-- the best interface and most "mobile-friendly" is and always will be turn-based.

however you can count on one hand the number of turn-based RPG's released on mobile devices in the west. I mean, i don't really care since there's nothing worth playing on mobile at the moment; the closest being the Sorcerer! games made by 1 japanese dude and theose 4 games are literally, LITERALLY just Wizardry-clones. not "Wiz-clones", but copyright-infringing-if-anyone-actually-cared Wiz-clones LOL

yet RTwP and the like is and will be for the time being the RPG game interface du jour on mobile and unfortunately what's popular on mobile WILL influence what we end up playing at home. :(

blah. bllah,blah, blah, fucking 3 pages of idiots trying to be more edgy and negative than the last guy. The beamdog bashing (and Ad&D bashing) is tiresome, especially considering this game will be more fun than anything released in the last few years, maybe more. PoE is shit and Tranny will be too if it uses PoE combat system. Beamdog is only company making decent games of this type at the moment, sorry to say. Maybe something will change that in the near future, but I don't have a lot of hope for anything better after watching the shit that has been released as incline thus far.

Now continue with your edgy posts.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did not watch the video, but BG2 battles could get pretty large-scale at times, even if you do not count summons.

bg2_up103_066.jpg

EDIT: yeah, this is from ToB (Sendai's enclave)

Also, Beamdog's improved Infinity Engine supports multi-core processing and overall handles unit-movement better (performance-wise).

---

As for the game's quality - we shall see after release. MCA's comments give me an optimistic attitude, but Beamdog's content in BGEE and BG2EE does not.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
What's that from, ToB? I don't think I 've seen it in SoA.

Is it a battle anyone remembers fondly?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom