Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Opening Cutscene and Gameplay Snippets at GameSpot

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BG is a very fun low level D&D game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Started watching the intro and was pretty interested until they shown the "voice acting" and the "battle", yep, Beamdog being amateurish hacks confirmed.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I like but no get cause need BGEE to run
David Warner = god, but not sure about the decision to make him play someone other than Irenicus

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
until they shown the "voice acting"
Did you dislike the VO? I thought it was pretty good. Impressed with the very first dialogue line, like "Wow they actually got some good actors" and then I realized that it's David Warner. 15 years do change the voice of a man somewhat.

Angthoron

Arcane
Pretty sure that was Irenicus in that cutscene.

Also, while the GRAND COMBAT scene was lulzy and seriously pointless (except for pandering to the people that were like OMG I WISH THERE WAS A GRAND BATTLE IN BG/IWD), that trailer is from Gamespot and not an official trailer from Beamdog, so at least that takes out a tiny modicum of ineptitude from their hands and puts it in the hands of the GS video editor shitting his bed a bit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's awful. EPIC INTRO followed by random RTwP fumbling and dialogue skipping. That's like sabotaging Beamdog's marketing effort. They should demand that the video be split.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's awful. EPIC INTRO followed by clumsy RTwP fumbling and dialogue skipping. That's like sabotaging Beamdog's marketing effort. They should demand that the video be split.
Kinda, yeah. The gameplay section is the most ridiculous mish-mash of random shit I've seen in a "gameplay trailer" for a while.

Delterius

Arcane
while the GRAND COMBAT scene was lulzy and seriously pointless (except for pandering to the people that were like OMG I WISH THERE WAS A GRAND BATTLE IN BG/IWD)

Yeah. I don't think that 50 NPCs wading through a small gate and suffering minor pathfinding issues was the best showcase for GRAND BATTLES. Especially since this seems to be a late event.

On the other hand, it seems that the engine was seriously optmized for newer graphics cards because I couldn't get BG and Icewind Dale to run that many spell effects and characters smoothly even with DDfix and disabling 3D effects.

Trashos

Arcane
Developers keep trying to destroy RTwP in everybody's conscience to the best of their abilities.

Large battles in RTwP are a clusterfuck. Shadows of Amn had none and it is considered a classic. It had well-designed SMALL battles, where we could keep track and our group's talents synergized against powerful enemies. None of that epic battle BS.

Angthoron

Arcane
To be fair, I remember a lot of people going "Wouldn't it be cool if there were massive battles..." back in the day when talking about IE games. I suppose I can appreciate the effort, but it's still a clusterfuck of epic proportions by the looks of it. However, it also looks like it's basically a backdrop to what will be a party vs party duel setup - you could see the enemy party by the end of the scene and I'm pretty sure that's what it'll end up being about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, it can work, it just looks kind of lame when everybody is getting into place. The way to promote these games is to take footage of battles after everybody is already locked into position and then focus on the small tactical maneuverings as the battle progresses.

imweasel

The intro and voice acting are top notch. The new music is great too.

:greatjob:

The cutscene also suggests that this there is only one huge battle in the entire game. All good in my book.

Eh, it can work, it just looks kind of lame when everybody is getting into place. The way to promote these games is to take footage of battles after everybody is already locked into position and then focus on the small tactical maneuverings as the battle progresses.

It did work in BG2 which had plenty of fun big battles (planar pocket, troll keep exterior, fallen paladins, etc.), none of which involved the npc's having to get into place through a bottleneck to create a clusterfuck. Isn't that an example of competent devs in the former case understanding the pathfinding limitations they were working with vs the beamdog crew's amateurism rather than purely a case of poor presentation via video editing?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
This was officially the most pathetic, desperate attempt at nostalgia grab I have ever seen. Combat is an amateurish mess, artwork looks like it was vomited out by a dog, and trailer was as pisspoorly edited as it was narrated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom