Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear featured in Dragon Magazine, coming early 2016

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Amber Scott; Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear; Beamdog; Trent Oster

We haven't heard much about Beamdog's Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear interquel since it was first officially announced back in July. Now, as the year comes to a close, the marketing machine may be springing to life again. The latest issue of Wizards of the Coast's Dragon Magazine has an article about Dragonspear, which tells the story of how what was originally intended to be a $2 DLC ended up being a full-sized 25-30 hour game - although it will still require the original Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to play. Here's an excerpt:

"I think that’s just a Baldur’s Gate thing,” says Beamdog president and creative director Trent Oster. “It can never be small. It always has to get bigger and bigger.” He’s talking about Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, which started life in 2011, in Trent’s words, as a little piece of DLC that would cost around $2. With a storyline that fits between the new enhanced editions of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II, it was supposed to ship as a bridge to those two titles before the second one was released.

“It grew in scope and we realized we were tight on time and needed to put more effort into Baldur’s Gate II ahead of its launch, so Dragonspear went on the backburner. When we came back and re-examined it had become a fifteen-hour expansion. At that stage it was still going to be DLC, although for a little more money,” Oster says.

“This was around fall 2014,” says writer Amber Scott as she picks up the story. “At that point it was just too crowded. We’d designed so much great stuff that when we started doing the test playthroughs you’d walk five feet and a quest would trigger, then in another five feet more NPCs would run up to you to offer other quests. So rather than cut content, we added extra areas so we could spread it out a bit and make it more fun and relaxing to play.”

Working alongside Cowboys & Aliens comic-book scribe Andrew Foley, Scott pitched additional dungeons and other areas to lead designer Phil Daigle, to house the glut of monsters and side quests. Other Beamdog staff also suggested more wilderness areas for open-world exploration, to expand the map even further. As the $2 piece of DLC continued to grow, the art team working on it reached around 35 people. Oster says Siege of Dragonspear now offers around twenty-five to thirty hours of gameplay. “That’s if you play the critical path and don’t do much besides, so it’s fitting for the legacy of Baldur’s Gate,” he adds proudly.

All of which begs the question, did anything get left out? “There were a few quests we did have to cut, as they didn’t work as well as we thought in the new expanded format,” Scott, a former Dragon magazine writer, says. “We also underwent some story revisions that made a couple of quests outdated, so we put them to one side and maybe we’ll reuse those in a different game or add them in a later patch.”​

The article also reveals for the first time that Siege of Dragonspear is scheduled to be released early next year. I imagine they won't want to go head-to-head with White March Part 2, so probably after January?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I don't have much faith in it, but I will play for sure.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Parrots:
    "I don't have much faith in it, but I will play for sure" - RPG Codex

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  4. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    And you had to spoil it.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  5. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, why not?

I doubt will be a great game, but it is a Baldur's gate expansion and I want to try it for myself and not rely on reviews, so even if I don't have faith in the game, I still want to confirm it by myself while I read the new lore and maybe get a pleasant surprise.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Have we seen anything that helps us gauge the quality of this upcoming title? Thought not.

This is just as pointless as SCL until we see something that shows these guys can make a good game, level, encounter, anything.

Pleasant surprises are nice, I guess...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Shammy Learned

Shammy
    Parrots:
    As pointless as SCL sure, but the fact it's on the IE already means it'll play better. ;)

Still wish they used an updated engine, or showed off anything to make me feel like it'll be a worthy purchase, but considering their tiny budget I doubt it.

^ Top  
  8. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Parrots:
    But will it be as good at DSotSC. Or NTotSC.

^ Top  
  9. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Would maybe play if it didn't require BG: EE.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Roobenator Novice

Roobenator
    Parrots:
    How is this expansion going to interfere with bg 1 -> bg 2 level progression. The appeal with the enhanced editions was added content and improved interface, but also allowed me to play a huge continual gaming experience with the same character. There is little value added to this experience, if my char doesn't level up. Also, how are they going to handle siege of dragonspear loot when imported to bg 2?

^ Top  
  11. Caconym Learned

Caconym
    Parrots:
    Irenicus dun undid it all.

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    They've already talked about that. BG2:EE will be updated to let you import your character. See this interview: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9988

^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I think it will be pretty cool. But I am a huge BG1 fanboy so I am less critical about this than I should be.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Roobenator Novice

Roobenator
    Parrots:
    Yeah, about three levels and added challenge in bg2, gud:
    No mention about items crossing over though. I don't know, but I tend to get tired while playing expansions. Throne of Bhaal, never finished that one. Maybe it seemed like the content was too concentrated, too much dialogue etc. Playing through BG1 -> BG2 is great but you can feel exhausted after the ordeal. My vague point here is that I'm afraid I'll lack interest in Dragonspear content.

^ Top  
  15. SionIV Erudite Patron

SionIV
    Parrots:
    They have been talking about increasing the difficulty at the start of BG2.

The highest level that you will be able to reach in SoD is 12 (Rogue, Bard, Druid). So the experience cap is less than 660 000.

They might introduce some items into Irenicus dungeon from SoD, like they did with the original game, but you won't be keeping items on your character when you start the game.

^ Top  
  16. Namutree Learned

Namutree
    Parrots:
    Sounds like it will release sooner than I thought.

^ Top  
  17. getter77 Augur

getter77
    Parrots:
    The new class will probably be a significant draw for folks, doubly so in the implications what it will mean for at least BG II after the fact as far as high level powers, surely some new equipment, etc. They've taken the long and winding road for this, though I suppose there's always a chance that this isn't the last we'll see of "new" BG-based content.

^ Top  
  18. imweasel Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    I finished BG:EE so my body + savegame are ready.

:smug:

Throne of Bhaal is more like a standalone game, with a lot of story, than a simple expansion like "Tales of the Swordcoast", so I am surprised that you didn't finish it. There is a reason why people consider BG + BG2 + ToB to be the "Baldur's Gate Trilogy".

If I was Beamdog I would have sold Throne of Bhaal separately as ToB:EE, because there is more than enough (very) good content in ToB to get away with that. Even BioWare/Interplay regretted selling ToB as an expansion instead of a sequel back in the day.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Roobenator Novice

Roobenator
    Parrots:
    Im planning a full replay with a no reroll, no stat redistribution char. Only thing is that ill play human, as i want to dual class. If stats allow that. What do you think? Ill finish tob this time, promise

^ Top  
  20. Namutree Learned

Namutree
    Parrots:
    I think if you give yourself limited lives it'll be a lot more rewarding. Try to give yourself only 3 lives for each game.

^ Top  
  21. Septaryeth Savant

Septaryeth
    Parrots:
    I never really thought the transition to Baldur's Gate II was broken and that they need an expansion to fix it.
    It's abrupt, sure, but it's not rushed, unexplained or anything.
    A redo of Throne of Bhaal, especially the starting part that was glanced over with monologue(which is probably enough story for half of a complete game), would definitely be better.

^ Top  
  22. DarkArcher Educated

DarkArcher
    Parrots:
    I'm a bit skeptical. Have to wait and see what folks say about it before I pick this up.

^ Top  
  23. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Parrots:
    What starting part was glanced over? You end BG2 in the elven city, then you start ToB there, or near it, where the talkan heads are. I don't recall much anything notable that the PC did being glossed over.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Septaryeth Savant

Septaryeth
    Parrots:
    The war waged by other Bhaalspawns could surely be expanded upon.
    I mean PC doesn't have to be in the center of every conspiracies but to have all that "world is going crazy" just dump on you is a bit disappointing.
    Sarevok was pretty cool and it could be interesting to see how other Bhaalspawn like him rose up and unfold the chaos.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)