Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We have a lot more than 700 active users, but most of them don't play any RPGs.

imweasel

The original Baldur's Gate assets were destroyed in a flood (they were being stored in some garage).
Ugh, such a fucking shame.

Anyway, I am surprised that Interplay, Atari or whoever owned the assets didn't keep a backup in a safe place.

Apparently Beamdog has a very positive relationship with Obsidian.
Inb4 Unity.
If they are thinking about going 3D (or 2.5D) then they should just license Larian's DoS-engine instead and just go full 3D.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larian is also mentioned once in the interview, but Phillip mentions Obsidian several times which makes me think the relationship is stronger there. He says they've asked to check out early builds of BG:SoD and that Pillars of Eternity has been "the focal point" for the RPG renaissance, implying that its success is what made BG:SoD possible.

inXile isn't mentioned at all. :M

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well I would love if Beamdog's next game would use PoE tech but remove shit like disengagement or crappy non D&D ruleset.

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Guys,if the Max lvl you can get to is 12 wouldn't that affect baldurs gate 2 if you import the save?

sstacks

Arcane
Did Shane speak of "Sage of Dragonspear" instead of "Siege" ? Did I hear it right?

Speaking of headcanons :O

I've never noticed I say it that way, even after me listening through like I do after each show.

sstacks

Arcane
Some tidbits from the interview:

One thing that surprised me was the firm "no crunch time" philosophy at Beamdog. Cool stuff.

Yeah, it's nice. We'll see how well it works out with regard to releasing a bug-free product on Thursday.

Phillip seemed to say there is no need for crunch time because they take the amount of time they need in their games. Crunch seems to come with publisher relationships that force release dates.

Namutree

Savant
Guys,if the Max lvl you can get to is 12 wouldn't that affect baldurs gate 2 if you import the save?
Beamdog has mentioned that they may readjust BG2 a bit to deal with the player's higher starting level. That said, it really shouldn't be a huge deal since BG2 level scales.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It means 2 more levels for all classes. After certain levels xp needed for level up rise sharply.

It is also why in Bg2 random quests that were worth 500 xp in Bg1 are now worth 10 000 per party member.
And writing scrolls into spellbooks is now 1000xp x level of spell while same spell in Bg1 was 10xp x lvl of spell.

Azarkon

Arcane
Pretty sure that's tongue in cheek... but just to make sure....???
Yeah, nothing confirmed. But if BG3 is not what Gaider is there for, then what the hell is it?

Obviously he's there for the

:incloosive:

Also, Bhaal came back as a god in 2014, so for WotC, Baldur's Gate 2 never happened.

So, how many people here know the canon fate of the protagonist Bhaalspawn?

In the Forgotten Realms novels, the protagonist Bhaalspawn, Abdel Adrian ends up turning down the Throne of Bhaal, and walking away from it while retaining his Bhaalspawn essence.

WotC have released a tabletop P&P campaign called "Murder in Baldur's Gate", in which Duke Abdel Adrian is slain by his half-brother Viekang (the teleporting Bhaalspawn in Trademeet and Saradush), which transforms Viekang into the Slayer. When the players of the campaign kill Slayer-Viekang, Bhaal is resurrected.
So basically, all the protagonist Bhaalspawn's actions in Baldurs Gate 1, 2 and ToB, were for nothing. Bhaal still got what he wanted, his children were nothing more than the fuel for his resurrection after all.

I think these events, are going to make it very hard for Beamdog to get permission to make a BG 3, unfortunately.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44057/the-bhaalspawns-true-canon-fate

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WotC have released a tabletop P&P campaign called "Murder in Baldur's Gate", in which Duke Abdel Adrian is slain by his half-brother Viekang (the teleporting Bhaalspawn in Trademeet and Saradush), which transforms Viekang into the Slayer. When the players of the campaign kill Slayer-Viekang, Bhaal is resurrected.

lol, that's some TOR-level canon sabotage.

agris

Arcane
Patron
There's a good chance that the beta release of the quest and creature XP reducing mod Ding0's Experience Fixer will work on SoD, as well as the rest of the EE releases.

Rather than dial up the XP and dial up the enemies, loot etc, I've found that IE games to be more fun when working from the position of scarcity. Whether that's experience scarcity ("under" leveled, but in honesty just not over-leveled) or item scarcity, it makes for a much better challenge when playing on CORE rules with INSANE spawns/AI and not using max HP on level-up / .CRE max HP mods.

I think it's modder-fallacy that beamdog is engaging in to an extent. The path of "lets make the player stronger, and balance it by making everything else stronger, and in turn giving the player better loot" is not the way to go IMO and results in a vicious cycle of balancing and/or easy-mode gameplay for those who are tactically inclined. Tuning the PC's power down, rather than up, produces more interesting challenges I think. And this is coming from someone who's played and beaten all the old weidu tactics mod battles, including kensai ryu's.

aVENGER for thoughts

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom