Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate level scaling

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So after all those year I'm trying to play BG. I tried it before but somehow I never got far as it couldn't intrest me. So now I'm to try again with the BG trilogy mod (and big world)

While I'm still early in the game, I had a question.

I'm playing as a cleric/mage and I optained some quick levels in the begining to gain some more spell slot. I notesd the BG had level scaling!
As I really hate scaling I was wondering how bad/good it is implented in the BG serie. Are there mods that would make the level scaling more bareble if needed? tnx!

BG was from a time before Bioware became lazy so it's already okay. Mostly it means you run into larger groups, sometimes it means you'll encounter something else, and sometimes it doesn't make much of a difference.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
BG doesn't actually scale enemies. Certain spawns differ depending on your level by adding more foes. Example: there's an undead spawn spot. 3 Mummies. Depending on your level more enemies appear in addition to that, 2 skeleton warriors, 2 greater mummies, 1 bone golem and finally if you're level is high enough, a lich on top of it.

JrK

Prophet
If you have used Big World, the spawns are adjusted to a more interesting spawn system. Instead of hordes of weaklings, expect some tougher but fewer enemies.

For instance, usually in the first wilderness levels you'd encounter hordes of gibberlings or xvarts. With this mod, I encountered pairs of wolves, pairs of war dogs, a war dog and bandit and a hobgoblin archer. That last one used stealth! I guess this is because of Sword Coast Stratagems. What a brilliant mod that is... :)

nomask7

Arcane
More proof that BG is better than BG2. Scaling of encounters is stupid. It's like direct level-scaling of monsters but less noticeable, which doesn't make it right. It's just as dull and unnatural (streets don't suddenly start spawning liches in any coherent fantasy world even if a mighty adventurer happens to pass by).

BG with mods = fail.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
He said he uses BGT, so the BG2 rules apply.

BGT is implemented in Big world as far as I can see. or am I incorrect?

dr. one

Augur
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It would be cool to encounter a real horde (20-100) of gibberlings.

1zc002v.jpg

nomask7 said:
More proof that BG is better than BG2. Scaling of encounters is stupid. It's like direct level-scaling of monsters but less noticeable, which doesn't make it right. It's just as dull and unnatural (streets don't suddenly start spawning liches in any coherent fantasy world even if a mighty adventurer happens to pass by).

BG with mods = fail.

BG2´s scaling is coherent and generally low-key, streets certainly don´t suddenly start spawning liches in BG2. not everything is scaled, just selected spawn points and in these cases it´s sensible. the lich scenario is probably the most glaring, but i think there are about 4 spawnpoints when this occurs and it´s in places where it makes sense.

also, BG with mods isn´t always fail, if you´re careful :).
what´s definitely fail are clusterfucks such as Big World.

AFAIK its only random spawns that are scaled. Preplaced groups of enemies and bossfights are not scaled. Its not like you are going to beat Sarevok at level 1 and if you fight him at level 20 he isn't suddenly an epic character throwing timestops and shit.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So whats up with You people and level scaling? Its normal in p&p, every competent DM does his best to provide enough challenge for players while not killing them. So obviously this also should apply to CRPG.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So whats up with You people and level scaling?

How about reading some other topics on the subject? I'm not sure you're thinking about the same level scaling that people here dislike,.

nomask7

Arcane
Malakal said:
So whats up with You people and level scaling? Its normal in p&p, every competent DM does his best to provide enough challenge for players while not killing them. So obviously this also should apply to CRPG.
Trolling?

The reason it shouldn't apply to CRPGs is that there is no sane rationale for a consistent difficulty in CRPGs. Your DM can come up with the kind of shit on the fly that makes sense. But if I want to visit those nice-looking towers I see in the distance when I begin a Two Worlds game, I shouldn't be presented with necromancers that a couple of rats could challenge in an even fight. (The necromancers shouldn't be replaced with rats either, since the towers are, after all, necromancers' towers.)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"BG doesn't actually scale enemies. Certain spawns differ depending on your level by adding more foes. Example: there's an undead spawn spot. 3 Mummies. Depending on your level more enemies appear in addition to that, 2 skeleton warriors, 2 greater mummies, 1 bone golem and finally if you're level is high enough, a lich on top of it."

Um.. That's the very defintion of level scaling.

"The reason it shouldn't apply to CRPGs is that there is no sane rationale for a consistent difficulty in CRPGs. Your DM can come up with the kind of shit on the fly that makes sense."

Bullshit.

A good DM will give the characters clues where to go so they don't get overwhelmed, and punish them if they are stupid enough to do stupid things. A good DM does not level scale the final boss down to level 5 because the players decided that the best way to take him down was to knock on his front door immediately after character creation.

Silellak

Cipher
Level scaling is a tool, just like anything else. It can be used intelligently to improve games, but when used stupidly, can decrease the quality of the game - sometimes drastically, as seen with Oblivion.

Oblivion's failings in that regard is what really brought "level scaling" to light, I think. Did anyone really discuss BG2's "level scaling" before Oblivion made it a topic of conversation?

Volourn said:
"BG doesn't actually scale enemies. Certain spawns differ depending on your level by adding more foes. Example: there's an undead spawn spot. 3 Mummies. Depending on your level more enemies appear in addition to that, 2 skeleton warriors, 2 greater mummies, 1 bone golem and finally if you're level is high enough, a lich on top of it."

Um.. That's the very defintion of level scaling.

Yes, it's level scaling, but the enemies themselves are not scaled. There's more than one kind of scaling.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Still level scaling, fuckface.

There is only one type of level scaling by definition. Level scaling is the method of making sure challenge remains reasoanble for the players no matter their level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom