Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate - familiar

hell bovine

Arcane
I just noticed that BG:EE has changed the familiar stats and skills quite dramatically, mostly they're nerfed to not make having a familiar too OP.

However there's one exception - the imp familiar. Holy hell, what were they thinking? Instead of it having 1x Polymorph Other spell it actually has 1x Polymorph Self. This means from the beginning of BG1 you can have a hasted Flint or a Sword Spider fight by your side. I guess they thought nobody is ever going to use the Polymorph Other spell so they changed it into something more useful. But now the imp is so OP it's not even funny - you can for instance polymorph the imp into an ogre and force open almost any lock.

Although, now that I'm actually playing through Candle Keep with an Ogre stumbling around with me, it's actually pretty exciting.
The imp always had polymorph self. It was overpowered ever since the early days of BG1Tutu.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yea, you're right. I read somewhere it was originally Polymorph Other. I'm surprised I had never noticed this familiar ability before, or maybe I had but just didn't remember it after so many years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom