Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview at Sorcerer's Place

GreatPretender

Educated
I will play it for BG 2 TB engine and ruleset, something the mods couldn't do.
Half-orc blackguard in bg 1 ? hell yea!
This game is a must play atleast 1 playthrough for anyone who even considers himself a rpg gamer not only for the new content.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is a must play atleast 1 playthrough for anyone who even considers himself a rpg gamer not only for the new content.
What TB engine, you half wit?

Xzar

Augur
One would think that codexers, being a niche within a niche, would take pity on BGEErs, who are niche within a niche within a niche. Just like LGBT publicly denounce pedos in front of glamour bourgeois press, but defend them from far-right folks if need arises. But no...

Wheres your class consciousness, evdk?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe he means Throne of Bhaal? :roll: But mods can do that.
The thought did cross my mind, but if he's unable to use even the simplest abbreviations correctly then fuck him anyway.

One would think that codexers, being a niche within a niche, would take pity on BGEErs, who are niche within a niche within a niche. Just like LGBT publicly denounce pedos in front of glamour bourgeois press, but defend them from far-right folks if need arises. But no...

Wheres your class consciousness, evdk?
Shitty money grabs are not a niche, but a majority.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Shapeshifter druids though are quite powerful and super cool.
A normal greater werewolf gets a bonus to magic/elemental resistance, immunity to normal weapons, 2-16 points of base damage with paws that work as a +3 weapon, the minimum possible saving throws, a high THAC0 bonus, and regeneration.

But a Shapeshifter's greater werewolf form gets almost none of those things: just fixed or set magic/elemental resistance, no immunity, less damage with +2 paws only, no saving throw bonuses, no THAC0 bonus, and no regeneration.

Have you ever noticed how Cernd gets killed quickly if you control him in the Druid Grove fight, but is an absolute monster if he is a third party? AI werewolves are much more powerful than party werewolves.

By comparison, a high level monk wearing Ring of Gaxx, Pale Green Ioun Stone, and Amulet of Power and getting buffed by a cleric or a mage with Protection from Fire/Cold/et cetera easily gets all these benefits and much more. This character will have all the magic/elemental resistance, immunities, magical damage, saving throws, THAC0 bonuses, and regeneration that a greater werewolf could have. This makes a monk a better Shapeshifter Druid than a Shapeshifter Druid. Plus, druids have such high minimum stat requirements that you can't keep any dump stat.

Worst. Class. EVER. By comparison, NWN's shapeshifter druids could transform into dragons.

What are you on about you retard? Cernd got regeneration in his greater werewolf form, along with a host of other benefits. He was one of the best fighters, and ripped through nearly anything. He also had insane speed of movement. In human form, he was a powerful spellcaster. Best of lal, you did not need to give him like 10000 magic items for this to happen.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Worst. Class. EVER. By comparison, NWN's shapeshifter druids could transform into dragons.
Shapeshifter + dispell = murder death kill and since that wasn't removed in any of the patches/fixes I assume it's not a bug. Druids are kinda meh in BG2 due to the broken exp table, but both Shapeshifter and, especially, Totemic kits would be hilariously op in BG.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
There is also this if people think the regular game is too easy.

I'd say sword coast stratagems is a MUST for anyone that has already played BG and other IE games. There is a huge level of customizations in the mod to adjust difficulty and playstyle, and it really makes the combat much more interesting, not by increasing hit points or damage but by making the enemies smarter and able to utilize all abilities in their arsenal. Mages are ovepowered of course, but that's because the ruleset makes them overpowered. Their contingencies will make you go "FUUUU-" many times, but it does make the combat challenging and it makes enemies as powerful as they should be, meaning that you will be able to kill Litches and the like only if you're powerful enough (or persistent enough, I once managed to make a Litch use all its spells by hit'n'running with my thief and then killed it with melee combat just barely before it killed me) so you better leave Kangaxx for near the endgame...

What I haven't been able to do in a long time, is to actually finish the trilogy, by finishing ToB. After BG2 I always get disappointed and bored with ToB's sub-par areas and writing, and I eventually drop it. If you go straight to it, the decline of quality is pretty obvious and annoying.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
^ Personally never even played ToB without the Ascension mod and the tweaked Bhaalspawn battles...but yeah, had they invested a bit more "love" into ToB it could have been a great ending to an epic saga. As it stands it really suffers from poor execution though and sub par writing.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Go eat a dick, moron.

Wyrmie, Totemic Druid is the one most hilariously broken kit in BG1 - the spirit animals are immune to normal weapons, have a shit ton of HP and hit like a Mack truck. Plus they stay around for a preeeeeetty long time.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What I haven't been able to do in a long time, is to actually finish the trilogy, by finishing ToB. After BG2 I always get disappointed and bored with ToB's sub-par areas and writing, and I eventually drop it. If you go straight to it, the decline of quality is pretty obvious and annoying.
When I first started Throne of Bhaal, I was wondering if the Bhaalspawn was seeing a dream. Because it really just kept following from one random thing to another in a rather disjointed manner.

It turns out, it was just a very poorly constructed opening. Very awkward was how it transitioned from the forest to the Pocket Plane to Saradush. Why was I even in Saradush? Well, just because! And it did not help that Saradush was a city under siege, not a place like Athkatla. So you are forced into this city and now you are supposed to stop a siege? It feels so constricting and annoying.

Sub-par areas and writing indeed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why was I even in Saradush? Well, just because! And it did not help that Saradush was a city under siege, not a place like Athkatla. So you are forced into this city and now you are supposed to stop a siege? It feels so constricting and annoying.
If I remember right, it's because that's where most of the other Bhaalspawn were seeking asylum. Then a BSN forum poster went insane and kept them locked in there. And while you're out trying to get the things you need to stop the siege they're all killed. :P

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
there is/was a mod (ease of use perhaps?) that gave the Shapeshifter werewolf and greater werewolf forms the same bonuses as normal werewolves/greater werewolves...

it made you a near unstoppable killing machine. Most enemies in game are ill prepared to handle that kind of power. I think only the upgradeable Slayer form from the Ascension mod was stronger, but at least the Slayer form kills you over time while Greater werewolf did not.

Melcar

Arcane
there is/was a mod (ease of use perhaps?) that gave the Shapeshifter werewolf and greater werewolf forms the same bonuses as normal werewolves/greater werewolves...

it made you a near unstoppable killing machine. Most enemies in game are ill prepared to handle that kind of power. I think only the upgradeable Slayer form from the Ascension mod was stronger, but at least the Slayer form kills you over time while Greater werewolf did not.

You can pretty much solo the whole game like that, even with the Tactics mods.

waywardOne

Arcane
Well, that Shapeshifter "fix" was made by the same crew that made Tactics. Both are relics of early BG modding and need to be looked at the same way you would a WWII vet: "Thanks, but gtfo."

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
You morons, look at the fucking levels these abilities are gained at.

If I recall correctly, Greater Werewolf is only available at level 13 or so (though I could be wrong)

BG1 only goes upto level 7 max, and that's with ToTSC.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Baldur's Gate + TotSC upped the XP cap to 161,000.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom