Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview at Sorcerer's Place

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Those pictures are made in 2 different places, besides you picked the ugliest BGEE screenshot ever.

:0/5:

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
So let me get this straight, this is basically a fan patched BG1 with 3 new npcs and a new dungeon? And they want 20 bucks for it? Or am I missing something?

Marceror

Novice
So let me get this straight, this is basically a fan patched BG1 with 3 new npcs and a new dungeon? And they want 20 bucks for it? Or am I missing something?

That's probably the right definition for RPGCodex (or perhaps RPGCynics?). :P Using a somewhat more "objective" definition, it's a bit more than what you state. There will be several hours of new game play and new areas. There will be professional voice acting that, based on what I've heard, far surpasses anything that a fan mod has put out. There will be new, original and professionally recorded music. And further, because Beamdog has access to the source code, they can do things that modders have not been able to do. And there's a bit more too.

I'm not sure yet what the ultimate value proposition of all that will turn out to be, as I haven't played EE yet. I'll be picking it up though, as I'm itching for another BG runthrough, and I might as well be playing EE to see what it offers.

Okay, go ahead and flame me for not issuing the standard RPGCodex response. :)

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Okay, go ahead and flame me for not issuing the standard RPGCodex response. :)

Don't worry about that. I was just curious, actually, I haven't been following this and I could use a new airplane passtimer installed on my laptop for when I'm too tired to read. Did they actually call back the original voice-actors who did the main characters and npcs and added new content to the main quest and etc?

Also, are there new classes and sub-races? Or did they just transposed the extra stuff from BG2 into BG1?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Just to clear things up regarding the Screenshots in my earlier post: yes, the first Screenshot is from the original Baldurs Gate with the BGT, widescreen and increased fontsize mods.
The second Screenshot is from the enhanced edition, straight from their website. You can see other Screenshots at the interview in the Original Post.

FeelTheRads the enhanced edition will feature a modified background / increased button and portrait sizes. As far as I understand it, these things were hardcoded so modders couldn't fix it. Here's a shot with the enhanced editions updated UI and a blurry cave:

/e: also just noticed that the rocks don't line up 100%, look a little to the left of the characters in the center of the Screenshot

07.jpg

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm going to channel Jaesun here for a bit and say:

But I am sure you've been lurking since 1998.

Marceror

Novice
I'm going to channel Jaesun here for a bit and say:

But I am sure you've been lurking since 1998.

No, and what does that have to do with anything? The only reason I'm looking at this thread is because it relates to an interview that I conducted with Trent.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
By the way, was there any news on scaling the kits from BG2 somehow? Or will this EE feature stuff like spirit animal from the 1st level Totemic druid being able to kill the final boss?

FeelTheRads the enhanced edition will feature a modified background / increased button and portrait sizes. As far as I understand it, these things were hardcoded so modders couldn't fix it.

I'm sure modders could easily have "fixed" it. Hardcoded doesn't mean impossible to change, just hard to change, and modders have made a huge number of fixes to stuff hardcoded in the BG executable. The reason they haven't "fixed" this is because it isn't a fix at all, small buttons and portraits are desirable when you have a superior input device like a mouse and keyboard.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/121115/hr9ssgz2.jpg

*throws up*

I could make a more detailed background by taking a photo of the original with a shitty phone camera, printing it out, scanning it, recompressing it as a low-quality jpeg, then importing back into BG:EE.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
What holes do all these Ostner apologists keep crawling from? It's time to deploy rat poison, me thinks.

I don't mind positive attitude, but how did some unknown Bioware employee never heard previously became as famous as a star. His EE's reek in mediocrity and he somehow has an army of supporters. It must be the romances, or enchanted romances that get people so hyped.

What holes do all these Ostner apologists keep crawling from? It's time to deploy rat poison, me thinks.

I don't mind positive attitude, but how did some unknown Bioware employee never heard previously became as famous as a star. His EE's reek in mediocrity and he somehow has an army of supporters. It must be the romances, or enchanted romances that get people so hyped.

Desperate Biowhores + 3 dissapointing Bioware games in a row must make them desperate for anything.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the hell, I was actually looking forward to the BG: Graphic Enchantment, but these screenshots look blurry as hell and hurt my eyes :? Original BG looks better o_O Tell me it's not gonna be like that in the final version...

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Desperate Biowhores + 3 dissapointing Bioware games in a row must make them desperate for anything.

Romances - check
C&C - cosmetic
A lot of cinematics - check
Linear game - check

How are these games somehow worse that anything else except BG series, that was an exception in the first place?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What the hell, I was actually looking forward to the BG: Graphic Enchantment, but these screenshots look blurry as hell and hurt my eyes :? Original BG looks better o_O Tell me it's not gonna be like that in the final version...
I'm sorry but that is the point of the enhancing. They run a blur filter through the engine, and everyting looks HD now.

Trent and Co business meeting:

Co-worker: hi Boss, we got the engine code for the original BG.
Trent: Good, good, we must enhance it, so the gamers will see why are we asking for 20 dollars for the game.
Co-worker: ...umm Boss, the original game looks pretty good even for today, I don't know what we could do with it to look better.
Trent: haha, silly boy, we will increase the resolution. It will be glorious HD graphics.
Co-worker: but-but, the fans already made resolution mods, and they can set any resolution they want
Trent: WHAT? And they did it for free? The fools. But wait, we must do something they can't. I got it, run a blur filter through the screens.
Co-worker: ....won't it ruin the graphics?
Trent: Ruin? RUIN? It will fucking enhance it. That is what we do. Enhance. Can you add bloom?
Co-worker: I don't think s.....
Trent: Doesn't matter, blur is enough. Now go and do it.

Murk

Arcane
That screenshot is a clear example of what I hate about HD -- when shadows basically becoming endless sources of darkness and you get this horrendous contrast that rarely happens IRL.

gonna browse through to see if other screenshots also show that level of pain.

edit: Oh what the fuck is this shit?

http://www.sorcerers.net/Main/Articles/BGEE/01.jpg

Now try and imagine how it will look on Retina. Moohoohaha.

Just say it's meant to be artistic and iTards will buy it up. The advantage of selling to the most gullible market in the world is that you are selling to the most gullible market in the world.

That screenshot is a clear example of what I hate about HD -- when shadows basically becoming endless sources of darkness and you get this horrendous contrast that rarely happens IRL.

gonna browse through to see if other screenshots also show that level of pain.

edit: Oh what the fuck is this shit?

http://www.sorcerers.net/Main/Articles/BGEE/01.jpg

Can someone drop Oster a line and tell him about spell transparencies?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
There are some screenshots where blurring is much more obvious and looks even worse than in the ones I included in the interview. I'm honestly hoping this isn't something that'll be in the final game, but if it is... I doubt it'll go down well.

We've discussed the blurriness on our forums some time ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom