Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview at Sorcerer's Place

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Youa re afukkin' idiot. Many devs own their games.

Yip. Never said (or meant to say) otherwise, just painting the "general", most common situation. Hi Volourn.

I need to GTFO this thread. It is the bane of my existence.

The Man Who Said Too Much

I find with BG that in years past I almost got lost in the act of modding my install, as opposed to just playing the game, I would spend hours making sure I had all the best mods and their latest versions, and of course the BG engine with weido is very anal so you can screw up things if you don't install mods in the correct order (graphical mods last etc).

At the least this version will let my ocd rest easy

Hello, shill. What graphical mods are you talking about? This isn't Oblivion, here, because the only gfx mod of any consequence is 1pp, and none of them have anything special to do with install order since 100% of them just overwrite or append.

Which one of the Beamdog devs are you?

You're a fucking moron who needs to stop registering a new account every time BGEE gets a new thread.

Nevermind that, for years, BG has had the Big World installation tool which auto updates links for mods, auto downloads and installs mods (or even parts of mods) in the right orders to remain compatible, and contains supplemental fixes to make normally incompatible mods compatible. It's literally as simple as checking the boxes for the 1 in a 1000 mods you want and clicking install.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I really wish they'd actually work on old content and improve it, tie loose ends (for example, I'd like to see alternative kind of relations with Harpers, to take Xzar in party and fight them maybe).
Some of the parts of interview make me sad. The way I could run BG no problem on Win95, 98, XP and 7, and how mouse-oriented interface is, you don't see that anymore.
I'm also wondering what type and amount of fan content they want to put in there. A lot of it is below Bioware writing (which is frightening in itself), so if I'll have to feed milk to Coran's inventory-baby... ugghh... *cringe*

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There is no way fan made story content would be added into the game. As that all has to go through HASBRO/WotC. I think the only fan content is fixes and graphic enhancements.

Oh, but Ostner will make BG available to the Cider Cult, can't you see? Mouse? Pfffft.

I don't think any major complaints would be had if they simply talked about porting BG to mobile devices and thats that. We'd chuckle a bit, but not much beyond that.

It's repackaging fan fixes, applying a widescreen mod, creating their own miniature fan mod, selling the whole thing for $20, and by the way, this money goes toward letting them make BG3. Because clearly they are totally qualified to make BG3. Then when they get called out on trying to sell BG2 with mods pre-installed they go all out on adding bloom and shit to pretend they are doing real work. That is why they deserve to die.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know all that, I have even complained about it earlier. I just have an irrational dislike for Apple and its user base.

I know all that, I have even complained about it earlier. I just have an irrational dislike for Apple and its user base.

Ohh I agree. Anyone who pays $600 for a phone deserves to be rammed up the ass at every opportunity.

Project: Eternity
There is zero chance of Oster working on a PS:T remake, thankfully.

Actually, he already tweeted or posted on the BGEE forums that he got his hands on PST source code. It was in late summer, iirc.

V3E2I.jpg

P.S. f you're not willing to mod your game manually, are you really the type to want to play a cRPG that requires a knowledge of:

What 2d8+1 means
Why negative-integer armor classes are a good thing
The vast morass of spell defenses and their accompanying methods of being breached (including Breach)

...BG:EE seems like one of those answers to a question that nobody ever gave a shit to ask. In spite of RTwP, the Baldur's Gate series easily one of my top 5 cRPG experiences, and its very telling that many people who feel as fondly towards it as I do see this as tasteless videogame necromancy.

And lol@paying $20 for it. I truly, sincerely hope Trent Oster doesn't cajole Hasbro into letting him spearhead any IE sequels. I'm sure he's a talented artist and programmer or whatever, but I don't get the sense that he needs to be pointman on this sort thing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I don't think any major complaints would be had if they simply talked about porting BG to mobile devices and thats that. We'd chuckle a bit, but not much beyond that."

You apparantly need to learn about the Codex more, my young amigo. We don't chuckle AT ANYTHING. We yell, we curse, we slam, we bash, we spit, we scream, we fight, but we most assuredly don't shrug our shoulders, 'chuckle' or merely go 'oh well.. and move the fuck on. Nope, that aion't the Codex way.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good thing i don't give a shit about lame brofists or your comment would have absolutely crushed my spirit. :(

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I'm still not sure what to think of the enhanced graphics. They look so... don't know how to say it - "washed out"? While the original looks much clearer in higher resolutions.

Big pics coming up (click on them for original size)

Original:

azj247di.jpg

Enhanced:

hr9ssgz2.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
Somebody at the team has hots for Median filter it seems.
Could be worse, some enjoy Plasticwrap too much the first time they get their hands on it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gawd. That horrible fucking scaling of the background. What the fuck were they thinking? It's like that retard that tried to restore that classic piece of art and completely fucked it up.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Funny how they're not even able to modify the background of the interface for higher resolution and instead tile small portions of it. Or is that from community widescreen mods and they didn't even do that?

And the second image is hideous.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Funny how they're not even able to modify the background of the interface for higher resolution and instead tile small portions of it. Or is that from community widescreen mods and they didn't even do that?

The first image looks like Baldur's Gate using the TUTU or BGT mod, and possibly the widescreen mod.

Gord

Arcane
The first image is with the fan-made widescreen/high res patch, I think, it has nothing to do with enhanced edition, FeelTheRads.

The blurry backgrounds are indeed pretty bad, only thing missing now is that they add some noise/grain filter to artificially create an illusion of detail.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ah, I thought the first one was from this enhanced edition just showing one of the areas from the original campaign.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anyone know if that horrible fucking scaling only happens at higher resolutions? Such as using the default resolution, there is no scaling of the background, but at resolutions higher than 800x600 then it begins to scale.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I think it would have made a lot more sense to make something like a large scale patch of the BG games and then re-release them in an all-in-one version for $10.

By patch, I mean including features like these:

- Vendors who recharge wands and allow you to partially recharge wands for a lower price, rather than having the player sell and buy back fully recharged and very expensive wands.
- Restoring the content related to the Twisted Rune, which connected the Twisted Rune with the Skin Dancers and connected the Skin Dancers with the slavers, putting them all as one part of a single conspiracy as was originally intended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom