Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is weird. The Djinn was ok because he only spawned about 3 or 4 times but that hooker called Rose Bouquet is crazy, I saw about 30 copies of her in a dungeon, and it blocked my path!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yea it is pretty bad. I am hoping it wont ruin the game but so far it has been avoidable.

Xeon

Augur
Anyone tried using BWS lately with the original BGs? It says outdated or something when you choose trilogy.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Improved Horn of Vallhala is nice mod, it greatly improves Berserk Warrior so he now wields Two Handed Sword+3, and is generally more powerful. No more useless old berserk warrior!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Are there any mods that adress killing Yaga-shura immediately without side trip to strip him of his 'immortality'?
Does the fight differ substantially if you don't go to the temple, i.e. does his entourage or are his combat abilities vastly increased? I imagine he has his MinHP1 ring on, so I'm surprised one can kill him.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's the status of the IE modding community if I may ask? From the POV that I read here a few years back that some modders are pro-EE's, other's have stopped modding entirely because of the changes made by Beamdog...
I have to admit that the quick weapon slots was a big draw for me in the EE's, but the writing and dialogue made me want to take out my nailgun and self harm/nail my bollocks to my chair to distract from the cringe - which is why I've gone on a self imposed exile from those games for a few years to wash the whole Amber Scott stuff out of my memory (I might wanna get around to having kids one day too). So main questions:
1. Was the thread here about graphics being "worse" and certain NVidia filters needing to be used accurate?.
2. Has anyone got around to improving encounters? I.e like it was in the original BG mods instead of BG:EE where I only encountered x1 Tasoli in the area immidiately east of Candlekeep.

Yes I know I should find out for myself, but the jury is out on the first question, and nobody seems to have addressed the second elsewhere. So thought I'd try my luck here. :deathclaw:

Project: Eternity
Are there any mods that adress killing Yaga-shura immediately without side trip to strip him of his 'immortality'?
Does the fight differ substantially if you don't go to the temple, i.e. does his entourage or are his combat abilities vastly increased? I imagine he has his MinHP1 ring on, so I'm surprised one can kill him.
Time Stop+Change Shape solves that.

Incantatar

Cipher
2. Has anyone got around to improving encounters? I.e like it was in the original BG mods instead of BG:EE where I only encountered x1 Tasoli in the area immidiately east of Candlekeep.

But that's how it was in Vanilla BG. Spawns are level dependent. What you want is SCS.
When I last played I removed all the EE "content" from BG1&2. I think there is not a mod for that, I probably should make one when I get a BG hunch again in the future.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure I remember a Weidu setup that increased spawns - I was hoping for something similiar that incorperated the Beamdog difficulty settings (more spawns/enemies same damage output I think?).

I'd bro-fist your post, but don't think I can as a newbie.

Melcar

Arcane
I'm sure I remember a Weidu setup that increased spawns - I was hoping for something similiar that incorperated the Beamdog difficulty settings (more spawns/enemies same damage output I think?).

I'd bro-fist your post, but don't think I can as a newbie.

Part of SCS. There is a module that lets you change the level of the spawns. In other words, some encounters no longer level-scale, but instead you can set it to the max (instead of goblins you get a lich).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Must admit - as someone who goes right back to the original release - I never did install SCS. Think it was becasue it rewrote alot of mages to have the same spells and ai. So can I get it to spawn an army of goblins instead of the lich?. The other thing that annoyed me with the EE's was the mob spawns in the grey area between your scout and party. You could literally scout ahead, revealing the FOW, and a goblin group would appear from thin air the second it went from revealed to 'grey'.
To be a further pain in the ass - have they sorted out custom voiceset's? All of these reasons were the sum total of mechanical reasons I didn't go back to the originals.
Thanks for replies.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Must admit - as someone who goes right back to the original release - I never did install SCS. Think it was becasue it rewrote alot of mages to have the same spells and ai. So can I get it to spawn an army of goblins instead of the lich?
wut?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Must admit - as someone who goes right back to the original release - I never did install SCS. Think it was becasue it rewrote alot of mages to have the same spells and ai. So can I get it to spawn an army of goblins instead of the lich?
wut?

Literally what I said (I read it on here actually) that - let's say all of the mages in each of the bounty hunter parties - all cast stoneskin, all follow it up with fireballs and have the same sequencer's, etc.

You're gonna tell me the author didn't do that...

Melcar

Arcane
Must admit - as someone who goes right back to the original release - I never did install SCS. Think it was becasue it rewrote alot of mages to have the same spells and ai. So can I get it to spawn an army of goblins instead of the lich?...

It will depend on the area and how it was coded. Certain areas have enemy spawns based on character level. Say if you go in at lvl 10 you get ambushed by a bunch or Orcs, but if you go at lvl 15 those Orcs are replaced with Vampires. You can tell SCS to use the higher level spawns so you always get the Vampires regardless of your level.
And yes, SCS changes the A.I more than a bit. However, since most modules are independent of each other, you can pick and chose to a degree. Once you find the "right balance" in your install you will end up with fairly reasonable encounters with considerably beefed up difficulty. At least that was the case last time I played it a few years back. Don't know if they went full retard in some of the modules by now.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I always recommend to use the Mages only Pre-buff Long Lasting Buffs element for and same for Priests. That way a stealth scout is still useful and getting the opener in is advantageous while preventing you from overwhelming enemy casters who are busy for the first 3-4 rounds buffing themselves. And a backstabbing rogue can still insta-gib some of them or at least take out their Stoneskin. Fun combo is a Rogue with full FR backstabbing the enemy mage, followed immediately by a fireball or three on him from your party.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Must admit - as someone who goes right back to the original release - I never did install SCS. Think it was becasue it rewrote alot of mages to have the same spells and ai.

I would actually say the opposite. Mage AI and spells are far more diverse in SCS than they are in vanilla. The AI for spellcasters will actually change not just from caster to caster but from instance to instance. You can get smacked down by a mage, reload and configure your spells to specifically deal with what that mage was using, only for it to have selected different AI this time using different spells. They also make far more extensive use of the spell library - there definitely seems to be more variety in both the spells they'll throw at you and the protective spells they'll put up. It's particularly essential for BG1, where vanilla most of the mages will not only fail to make use of the new BG2 spells added by Tutu/BGT/EE, many of them won't even make use of the spells added by TotSC, giving the player a huge advantage.

hell bovine

Arcane
Yeah, SCS definitely adds more variety to spellcasters, especially on higher levels, when they get HLAs. I don't recall a single instance from vanilla when an enemy mage would use wish offensively.

agris

Arcane
Patron
iirc, the mage AI scripts are compiled at the end of selecting your SCS options and include some random behavior and spell selection modifiers, and each mage is assigned it's own unique AI script. this means that in addition to SCS behaving as MilesBeyond described, there's an additional random component to the AI that differs per enemy and per SCS install.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Ha! Cool - I never looked into it that much and took the info I had at face value as I always dreaded spending 100+ hours playing with multiple mods, only to find a game crashing bug. I expect my IE gaming life just got extended. I'll be able to rate posts at some point.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just bought all the Beamdog garbage on the last Steam sale. I feel ashamed for my weakness, but the price was pretty good.

Now i just noticed those "Enhanced" Editions broke a lot of the mods lel. Not that it matters since most of them seemed to be garbage, but i'm a bit worried that you now need a fix to even run stuff like SCS.

I'm gonna start with Baldur's Gate and check this shit out first. I'm looking at the list of mods that actually work with the EE and i'm wondering about a couple of them:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50340/bg-ee-2-0-and-siege-of-dragonspear-compatible-mods

The mods i'm looking at (beyond SCS and the one that restores the original cinematics) are Unfinished Business, BG1 NPG Project and the maybe the other two quest packs i see. Never tried any of those. I'm also not sure what the install order is supposed to be here.

BTW, refresh my memory here, but did SCS reduce XP gain, or was that another mod? Been ages since i played this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom