Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

hell bovine

Arcane
So far the installation has been a partial success. With BGT, Stratagems, BG1 NPCS and level 1 NPCs I've got one crash so far (but that was in Beregost and I recall that area being problematic before), but for some reason Minsc the wizard slayer was level 6 when my level 1 party found him. :?

Greatness

Cipher
So far the installation has been a partial success. With BGT, Stratagems, BG1 NPCS and level 1 NPCs I've got one crash so far (but that was in Beregost and I recall that area being problematic before), but for some reason Minsc the wizard slayer was level 6 when my level 1 party found him. :?

I never had any problems with Level1NPCs, just remember to place it very late in your install order. You could use shadowkeeper to set Minsc back to level 1 if you can't figure out what's causing the problem.

hell bovine

Arcane
I never had any problems with Level1NPCs, just remember to place it very late in your install order. You could use shadowkeeper to set Minsc back to level 1 if you can't figure out what's causing the problem.
Turned out the "joinable NPCs have experience similar to the PC" option is in the optional tweaks. :oops:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm starting BG1 first time in a long time, so I could use some mod suggestions (I've played BG1 very little compared to BG2). I will, of course, use SCS, BG Tweaks, aTweaks and Rogue Rebalancing, but how about content mods? I've never used used it, but I have heard a lot of good things about BG1 NPC project. However, I'd like to use Kivan and I heard that the mod turns him into a whiny faggot. Is it really that bad, and do the good things outweigh the bad things in this mod?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The good things far outweigh the bad things IMO. Even Kivan's treatment is mostly good. If you can look past his EMOism there is at least two interesting encounters if you bring him along, and IIRC he has interesting interjections.
As for content mods the only one I'd recommend in addition to BG1 NPC Project is Unfinished Business. The others are either buggy and/or too cheesy.

Last edited:

Greatness

Cipher
BG1NPC also does some stupid shit with game balance. A random NPC walks up near the start of the game and gives you a ring that sets your charisma to max and gives infinite charm uses, the only reason given is that it'll help you romance your companions (seriously the npc basically says that, I didn't even have the romance components installed). I mean the ring was in early BG2 as well, but it was stupid there too and makes adding any points into charisma pointless. I think most every NPC gets a slew of new gear from their additional content. Kivan encounters lead to lots of magical items, including elven chainmail that was never suppose to be in BG1. Imoen gets a free tome of dexterity and a +1 amulet that stacks with other AC bonuses, etc.

The writing is also really bad for the majority of NPCs. A few are bearable and add some new life to the game, but I would seriously never install it if I wanted Kivan in my group... Or Ajantis, or Faldorn, or really any character written by Domi in this list:
Contributors, by NPC:
Ajantis: jastey(romance, PID, interjections), Merja (banter, character concept), Seifer (banter, character concept, PC dialogues)
Alora: Kulyok(PID), NiGHTMARE (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue), Weyoun (banter)
Branwen: Karkadinn (character concept, banter, interjections and PC dialogue), Kulyok (PID, romance author)
Coran: Domi (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, romance, quest)
Dynaheir: Domi (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, romance, quest), Sarah J (character concept, banter)
Edwin: Domi (PC dialogue, interjections, quest), Kulyok(PID), Merja (character concept, PC dialogue, interjections, banter, quest)
Eldoth: Hendryk (character concept, banter, PC dialogue.)
Faldorn: Domi (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue), Merja (banter)
Garrick: Andyr (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, quest)
Imoen: Blucher (character concept, interjections), Domi (interjections), Jinnai (banter, interjections and PC dialogues)
Jaheira: Htn (character concept, banter and PC dialogues), Domi (editor), Kish (editor), Theodur (character concept, banters, interjections, PC dialogues, quest)
Kagain: Delvar(early dialogue ideas), Hendryk (character concept, banter, interjections and PC dialogues)
Kivan: Domi (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, quest)
Khalid: Arian (character concept, banter), Domi (banter), Hendryk (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue)
Minsc: Aurelius (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue), Delvar (early dialogue ideas)
Montaron: Hendryk (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, quest)
Quayle: Andyr (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue), Kulyok (PID)
Safana: Kiki & Mr. Kiki (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue)
Shar-Teel: cliffette (romance), Domi (banter, interjections, romance), Kish (character concept, PC dialogue, banter), Turkish Delight (character concept, banter)
Skie: Amazing Maurice (banter, interjections, PC dialogues), Weyoun (banter, character concept)
Tiax: Andyr (interjections), Kulyok (PID), Hendryk (PC dialogue) Turkish Delight (character concept, banter, PC dialogue, interjections, quest)
Viconia: Andyr (interjections), Dan_Co9 (character concept, banter, PC dialogue), Kulyok (PID)
Xan: Domi (banters, PC dialogue, quest), Kulyok(romance, quest, PID), Sphira (character concept, banter), Thanatos (banter)
Xzar: Hendryk (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, quest)
Yeslick: Deathmage (early dialogue ideas), Tancred (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue)

In other news, v29 of Sword Coast Stratagems was released today.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
BG1NPC also does some stupid shit with game balance. A random NPC walks up near the start of the game and gives you a ring that sets your charisma to max and gives infinite charm uses, the only reason given is that it'll help you romance your companions (seriously the npc basically says that, I didn't even have the romance components installed). I mean the ring was in early BG2 as well, but it was stupid there too and makes adding any points into charisma pointless. I think most every NPC gets a slew of new gear from their additional content. Kivan encounters lead to lots of magical items, including elven chainmail that was never suppose to be in BG1. Imoen gets a free tome of dexterity and a +1 amulet that stacks with other AC bonuses, etc.

The writing is also really bad for the majority of NPCs. A few are bearable and add some new life to the game, but I would seriously never install it if I wanted Kivan in my group... Or Ajantis, or Faldorn, or really any character written by Domi in this list:
Contributors, by NPC:
Ajantis: jastey(romance, PID, interjections), Merja (banter, character concept), Seifer (banter, character concept, PC dialogues)
Alora: Kulyok(PID), NiGHTMARE (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue), Weyoun (banter)
Branwen: Karkadinn (character concept, banter, interjections and PC dialogue), Kulyok (PID, romance author)
Coran: Domi (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, romance, quest)
Dynaheir: Domi (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, romance, quest), Sarah J (character concept, banter)
Edwin: Domi (PC dialogue, interjections, quest), Kulyok(PID), Merja (character concept, PC dialogue, interjections, banter, quest)
Eldoth: Hendryk (character concept, banter, PC dialogue.)
Faldorn: Domi (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue), Merja (banter)
Garrick: Andyr (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, quest)
Imoen: Blucher (character concept, interjections), Domi (interjections), Jinnai (banter, interjections and PC dialogues)
Jaheira: Htn (character concept, banter and PC dialogues), Domi (editor), Kish (editor), Theodur (character concept, banters, interjections, PC dialogues, quest)
Kagain: Delvar(early dialogue ideas), Hendryk (character concept, banter, interjections and PC dialogues)
Kivan: Domi (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, quest)
Khalid: Arian (character concept, banter), Domi (banter), Hendryk (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue)
Minsc: Aurelius (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue), Delvar (early dialogue ideas)
Montaron: Hendryk (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, quest)
Quayle: Andyr (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue), Kulyok (PID)
Safana: Kiki & Mr. Kiki (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue)
Shar-Teel: cliffette (romance), Domi (banter, interjections, romance), Kish (character concept, PC dialogue, banter), Turkish Delight (character concept, banter)
Skie: Amazing Maurice (banter, interjections, PC dialogues), Weyoun (banter, character concept)
Tiax: Andyr (interjections), Kulyok (PID), Hendryk (PC dialogue) Turkish Delight (character concept, banter, PC dialogue, interjections, quest)
Viconia: Andyr (interjections), Dan_Co9 (character concept, banter, PC dialogue), Kulyok (PID)
Xan: Domi (banters, PC dialogue, quest), Kulyok(romance, quest, PID), Sphira (character concept, banter), Thanatos (banter)
Xzar: Hendryk (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue, quest)
Yeslick: Deathmage (early dialogue ideas), Tancred (character concept, banter, interjections, PC dialogue)

In other news, v29 of Sword Coast Stratagems was released today.
Can you update Statagems mid-game? I'm running BGT at the moment with only minor bugs so far, e.g. Montaron the berserker kept getting killed by his rages, even though they are supposed to take only -15 hit points off. Highlight of the game so far was Jaheira getting chunked by a mad cleric (the one with the zombies), courtesy of Stratagems. Funnily enough, no dialogues from husband about it (BG1 NPCProject fails in that aspect, it seems).

Greatness

Cipher
Can you update Statagems mid-game? I'm running BGT at the moment with only minor bugs so far, e.g. Montaron the berserker kept getting killed by his rages, even though they are supposed to take only -15 hit points off. Highlight of the game so far was Jaheira getting chunked by a mad cleric (the one with the zombies), courtesy of Stratagems. Funnily enough, no dialogues from husband about it (BG1 NPCProject fails in that aspect, it seems).
I know one of the supposed benefits of weidu is that you can uninstall/reinstall/etc without breaking your game, so I think upgrading should be safe. I personally wouldn't recommend doing it unless you really want the new features or run into some game-stopping bug that it's supposed to fix.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
So I got all these mods:

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
BG1 Unfinished Business
BG2 Unfinished Business
BG1 Fixpack
BG2 Fixpack
Swordcoast Stratagems
GUI mod
Widescreen mod

Am I missing something? Is the WEIDU version of Ascension compatible with these mods? What's the install order?

hell bovine

Arcane
Don't you need BGT versions of BG1 mods? :?
As for the rest, I've used the following order:
- Ascension,
- BG2 Fixpack,
- BGT,
After that I'm not sure, as I don't use UB. But I would probably install SCS after UB. Widescreen put last, I don't use GUI, though.

I'm doing a fresh install too, since I've realized I had v28 SCS - might as well get v30. I haven't gotten far in the game anyway; got distracted by Ajantis getting eaten by slimes. A true paladin's death.

Greatness

Cipher
So I got all these mods:

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
BG1 Unfinished Business
BG2 Unfinished Business
BG1 Fixpack
BG2 Fixpack
Swordcoast Stratagems
GUI mod
Widescreen mod

Am I missing something? Is the WEIDU version of Ascension compatible with these mods? What's the install order?

I'd definitely recommend using TobEx. Here's a list with optimal install order that I used last time I played BGT. Just leave out the mods you don't want and use the same order.

01 TobEx v26b
02 Ascension v1.4.24
03 BG2 Fix Pack v10
04 BGT v1.18
05 BGT Music
06 BGT Graphics Overhaul v1.8
07 BGT Textscreen Music v9
08 1PP v4.1.0
09 BG1 NPC Project v20
10 BG1 Unfinished Business v13.1
11 BGSpawn v1.12
12 BGT Tweak Pack v1.1*
13 Banter Packs v14
14 IEP Extended Banters v4.2
15 Wheels of Prophecy v3
16 BG2 Unfinished Business v25
17 Stratagems v28**
18 Stratagems v28 fix v1.6**
19 BG2 Tweak Pack v16*
20 aTweaks v4.32*
21 BG1 Level Cap Reinstator
22 Level 1 NPCs v1.9
23 BG1 NPCs at Beginning v2.2
24 Widescreen v3.06
25 Generalized Biffing

* For tweaks only install desired components (obviously)
** No longer needed after v28.

agris

Arcane
Patron
As far as questing, I'm trying to stick to how it was likely meant to be played rather than the usual lawnmower style of systematically clearing every map/side quest. When I would play that way I always ended up overleveled and the main questline would feel super easy. This way I only take side quests that I happen upon naturally and turn down the ones that my character wouldn't waste time doing. As a result I'm pretty low level and even stuff like the Nashkel mines were quite challenging. A side benefit of this is that not feeling obligated to clear all the repetitive wilderness maps makes the game 1000% better.
I need to do this, but it's gonna be hard.

So hard.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
I'd definitely recommend using TobEx. Here's a list with optimal install order that I used last time I played BGT. Just leave out the mods you don't want and use the same order.

* For tweaks only install desired components (obviously)
** No longer needed after v28.[/spoiler]
Thanks. :love:

Well, I've installed all the mods, but I'm having serious issues.
Playing the game in native resolution 1920x1080 causes severe lag.
Playing the game in any resolution over 1024x768 in windowed mode causes severe lag.
Playing the game in lower resolution and full screen makes it horribly blurry.

Also, for of war is jagged. :(

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thanks. :love:

Well, I've installed all the mods, but I'm having serious issues.
Playing the game in native resolution 1920x1080 causes severe lag.
Playing the game in any resolution over 1024x768 in windowed mode causes severe lag.
Playing the game in lower resolution and full screen makes it horribly blurry.

Also, for of war is jagged. :(
The lag might not be resolution, try fully disabling (drag the slider completely down) ambient sounds.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
The lag might not be resolution, try fully disabling (drag the slider completely down) ambient sounds.
Naw, that didn't help. It lags all the time basically, regardless of resolution. Even in the main menu.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Nvm, solved problem by starting the game with proper exe, instead of Tobex. :roll: Got trolled hard. :roll:

hell bovine

Arcane
Nvm, solved problem by starting the game with proper exe, instead of Tobex. :roll: Got trolled hard. :roll:
I have the GOG edition, it seems to be using Tobex by default, which I just noticed. :? Managed to finally re-install, I have to admit the level 1 NPCs mod is a bit addicting.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Got the EE of BG2 as a birthday gift and have been playing for a bit, slowly exploring Irenicus' dungeon, taking my time. Man, I forgot how fun this game is. Gonna play further in anticipation of PoE.

Question: I remember there being a ring that boosts charisma directly in waukeens promenade. Where is it? Or has the location changed in EE BG2?

Also, is there a way to change the buttugly font of floating textes?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ah that might be the case, thanks. Kinda dreading to go there because I hate Aeries whining with a passion.

I've also found a new merchant in the adventurers shop selling items from PS:T. I am guessing this is for the people who preordered the game back then? As I never had that merchant in my german version of olde. I just skimmed through it, are there any useful items for the outrageous price they ask? That shield I saw seems almost like a cheat item reflecting Beholder Rays.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yeah, the two bonus merchants were originally from the bonus CD. The shield is basically a purge Beholders for free card and the Robe of Vecna is the most overpowered piece of magjifick in the game since it decreases your spell casting time. The helmet that allows you to cast Simulacrum is also really good, and the Mercykiller ring can be nice early on for thieves. Weird thing is that they even threw in Dak'kon's zerth blade, despite the important fact that only he could wield it. It's like they didn't even bother to play Planetscape: Tournament to find that out.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That, and I am also having a hard time to come up with a class that is able to have weapon proficency in Katanas and is able to cast spells of level 4 and higher. Multiclass maybe? I really am a noob when it comes to character builds, always go with a half elf mage, heh.

Anyway, thanks! I will not bother with these items then.
Got into a brawl with a hostile party of adventurers in an inn and after some asskicking I defeated them. Love this game.

deranged

Cipher
If my als hasn't kicked-in yet, the ring is not at waukeen's promenade.

The quest for finding the ring begins at waukeen's promenade with one of the three merchants above the inn. A halfing near the entrance of the bridge district has the actual ring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom