Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You could also cheat yourself Boots of Speed for every character. I don't know if the bug that it also increases your attacks per round still exists though.

deuxhero

Arcane
Oh boy, you're in for shit. Been trying to force myself through it. Clearing the bandit camp and having to jump through hoops to manage my inventory (because an entire suit of armor takes the same space as a single gem or a scroll and you get VERY few spaces) to not have to leave any of the magic items/gems/scalps just killed the already awful game.

Athelas

Arcane
You should be using the tweak that allows for gem and scroll stacking.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alternatively, you can take it as an opportunity to meditate on the profound futility and pointlessness of the slow speeds and thereby bring yourself closer to true wisdom.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ease-of-Use allows stacking of gems, scrolls, and larger stacks for potions, arrows, etc. Also, you have over a hundred spaces across your party members, it's not that bad unless you pick up every fire agate and normal crossbow or something.

Tutu changes walk/run speeds to BG2 levels which is faster, but this changes the balance because it makes ranged weapons much less powerful. Arguably they are OP in BG1, and a little too underpowered in BG2.

The FPS thing is good for your game generally, do it (40 or 45, go too far above and everything becomes hyper).

If walking back and forth really pisses you off you can enable cheats then use Ctrl+J to teleport anywhere in the map, but get too used to it and it can ruin your experience.

Melcar

Arcane
Bur walking is half the fun. You can larp walking slowly through the forest like a badass in full suit of armor.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BG1 is really a mediocre game. I'm pushing myself through it using a walkthrough to get all the quests and XP in order to level up my character for importing to BG2, which is about 10000 times better than BG1.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Meh, it has too much filler content in relation to good stuff for me to enjoy it as much as BG II, which is a much more focused and interesting experience. BGII has better story, a better setting, better encounters, less filler trash, less empty areas, less "go and fetch my sword I lost in the woods" quests and more long and interesting quests with unique dungeons and encounters, etc etc. The first BG just has too much filler and is too generic, I don't like it all that much. The sequel is a gigantic improvement in all aspects.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's been forever since I played without SCS and other mods, so I don't remember much vanilla stuff. So, does Chain Contingency in vanilla game allow you to target enemies, or is it a possibility added by some mod? Because that spell is mind-numbingly overpowerd when used offensively.

Johannes

Arcane
BG1 is really a mediocre game. I'm pushing myself through it using a walkthrough to get all the quests and XP in order to level up my character for importing to BG2, which is about 10000 times better than BG1.
Why would you need to do all quests before you can move to BG2 with your PC? It's perfectly doable to manage in earlygame BG2 with a lower-level PC, and the XP rewards there easily eclipse BG1 stuff, fast.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why would you need to do all quests before you can move to BG2 with your PC? It's perfectly doable to manage in earlygame BG2 with a lower-level PC, and the XP rewards there easily eclipse BG1 stuff, fast.

Indeed. Those extra 10000-30000 xp you get for doing everything in BG1 become totally irrelevant about 30 minutes into BG2.

Delterius

Arcane
I agree 100%. Even as someone who'd like to see a better realized wilderness in BG1's style, I can't stand the idea that BG1 is better than its sequel in any way.

Still I've played it sometimes. If you can't stand it you might as well use Shadowkeeper to tune your characters, but for the attribute bonuses, not the experience.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still play through it from time to time. Plus I've never beaten the SCS version of Sarevok without being horribly cheap and I'd like to one of these days.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's been forever since I played without SCS and other mods, so I don't remember much vanilla stuff. So, does Chain Contingency in vanilla game allow you to target enemies, or is it a possibility added by some mod? Because that spell is mind-numbingly overpowerd when used offensively.

Not a mod:
http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Chain_Contingency
Target of released spell can be:
  • Caster
  • Last creature that hit caster
  • Nearest enemy

Contingency can only target the caster.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Well, I am also one of those weird completionist faggots who tend to play games with character import in sequence, so the char can grow on me over the several games.

Now I'm in BG2, finally, and it's so much better than BG1. Although BG1 did have *some* good parts, even if they were few. Durlag's Tower is the best thing of BG1 (yeah I know, expansion content).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:yeah:
I'm so fucking happy right now. Maybe this is old news, but the GOG version of BG1 has a direct draw fix, which makes the widescreen mod work flawlessly. I never could play BG1 properly in higher resolution, because the framerate dropped to 15-20. And now it doesn't happen anymore. Better yet, I just found out that there is a mod, which centers the UI under windescreen mod, so you don'T have to see a black bar.

Edit: Shit, something always comes up. ghostdog I have the problem discussed here with BG1. Is there a fix or somthing for this, I cannot into hacking and hexadecimal stuff? http://www.shsforums.net/topic/38012-a-mouse-scrolling-problem/page-3

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I'm so fucking happy right now. Maybe this is old news, but the GOG version of BG1 has a direct draw fix, which makes the widescreen mod work flawlessly. I never could play BG1 properly in higher resolution, because the framerate dropped to 15-20. And now it doesn't happen anymore. Better yet, I just found out that there is a mod, which centers the UI under windescreen mod, so you don'T have to see a black bar.
I'm not really good with computors, so I'm not sure if this helps. But in the future, you might be interested in the sixth step in this guide. It teaches you how to apply a ddraw fix yourself.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not really good with computors, so I'm not sure if this helps. But in the future, you might be interested in the sixth step in this guide. It teaches you how to apply a ddraw fix yourself.
Thanks. I heared about this method, but somehow it didn't work well with my installation. But the ddraw fix applied on the GOG version is simple and easy.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Are there any mods that disable the NPC comments about alignment? f.e Keldorn's "I approve heartily" speech

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Not a mod:
http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Chain_Contingency
Target of released spell can be:
  • Caster
  • Last creature that hit caster
  • Nearest enemy

Contingency can only target the caster.

Yeah... 3x Horrid Wilting targeted on yourself set to trigger on sighting enemy is a cheap way to deal with the Cowled Enforcers that spawn when you cast Arcane magic on the streets of Athkatla. But it's a long setup to kill a single encounter imo.

Been getting shellacked by an SCS2 encounter with two black dragons, which leads into a fight with a green, and then an overgrown red lizard. Because of my reticence to go "all out" (I don't like resting in the middle of dungeons, even if the Pocket Plane can justify resting anytime, and I really detest Time Stop abuse), the first phase really drains my resources; the two black dragons are pretty tough, and a few of my typical tactics seem to fail against them. Looked at the .CRE files in the Override and compared them to Nizidawhathefuck'isgoingon, the SoA black dragon, who seemed to be much "softer".
11327.jpg

Apparently, they are identical to Nizi, and I need to gitgudfaggot...but I chanced upon some curious findings regardless. There's a lot of immunities and properties attached to both dragons that seem a bit off. I know I installed the component to systematize dragon immunities across SoA and ToB, but I don't recall most ToB dragons, aside from Abazigal, having certain properties, namely:

-Immunity to Blindness
-Immunity to Instant Death and Slaying Attacks
-The ability to see and target Invisible opponents (as a Lich might)
-25% Piercing/Crushing/Slashing resistance
-Regeneration of 2 hit points per second (12 hit points a round; far faster than 21 CON would provide)

It's also interesting that black dragons have more Attacks-Per-Pound (four as opposed to three) and better Armor Class (-12 as opposed to other dragons that only have between -8 and -10) than most other dragon types*, even high-tier dragons like Abazigal and Saladrex.

I'd much appreciate if anyone with a vanilla install (or close enough), would be kind enough to check out a few .CRE files in NearInfinity (or whatever browser you prefer) for me and maybe copy/paste or screenshot the information for:

-dragblac.CRE
-dragblue.CRE
-dragshad.CRE
-FSDRAGON.CRE
-BAZDRA03.CRE

*The green dragon under Geas in Abazigal's lair has 5 APR and the shadow dragon has -12 AC as well in my installation. Oddly enough, the green dragon in the Final Seal of Watcher's Keep has only 3 APR as does the green dragon as part of the SCS2-added ambush.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom