Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 1 questions

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
We were talking about the hidden Ankheg armour, J_C.

The one randomly lying around in an open field in Nashkel.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

My bad, I thought you were talking about the one you craft. But good to know, I never knew there is one in Nashkel.

J_C's vision is augmented.
Obviously. :D

Severian Silk

I am unable to transition between chapter 5 and 6. The game crashes right after the spoken text cutscene. I get this error:

"An assertion failed in D:\Dev\Baldur\CVisibility.cpp at line 1484"

I have no such file on my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Severian Silk

This guy was having the same problem, but his solution confuses me.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=24978

Am I supposed to overwrite AR2626 with an another older AR2626? How do I get this file? Or am I supposed to overwrite AR2626 with AR2600?

:x

[edit]

OK, somehow I got it to work. I'm surprised this isn't a common issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
An assertion is a manually triggered error that occurs if a statement is false (or technically if it evaluates to 0, since we're talking about c++ here), usually used to give the programmer information about a situation that would crash the program anyway, for (a greatly simplified) example:
Code:
assert(foo!=0);
bar = bar / foo;    //if foo==0 the program crashes without any diagnostic info
The file refers to where the error was tripped in the source code. Useful for development builds, not so great for end users. And somewhat obsolete with how good debuggers are nowadays.

Don't replace an area file with a different area file (AR2626 with AR2000, for example). I don't know exactly what would happen but it would probably break something.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Yes, you didn't RTFM carefully enough.
But don't worry; she will get back her thieving skills once she reaches level 6 as a mage.
In the meantime, use Montaron (excellent backstabber), Safana (gives excellent blowjobs) or Coran (excellent archer) for your thiefly needs.

This is where roleplaying fails. IRL, I would way rather just chill and get blowjobs until Sarevok came around to kill us than go off hunting around the wilderness with some dudes.

xrm1

Educated
So I've started to play BGT with the BigWorld recommended install set of mods. I'm in chapter 4 and I've just completed the Nashkel mines, chapter order is wrong but apparently that's a BGT thing.

On chapter transitions the quest journal gets wiped and some uncompleted side quests seem to break (for example the Bassilus quest with the sweet 2500 GP reward), is this normal behavior?
I don't really want to reload an earlier save and slog through that dungeon again, I'm tempted to just skip to BG2. Are the later BG1 chapters better than the beginning?

Delterius

Arcane
So I've started to play BGT with the BigWorld recommended install set of mods. I'm in chapter 4 and I've just completed the Nashkel mines, chapter order is wrong but apparently that's a BGT thing.

On chapter transitions the quest journal gets wiped and some uncompleted side quests seem to break (for example the Bassilus quest with the sweet 2500 GP reward), is this normal behavior?
I remember that journal notes acquired during a given chapter are rolled back to the backup. There should be an arrow somewhere point leftwards which allows you to see those notes. But no quests should be rendered unfinishable, are you sure you have Bassilus' Holy Symbol when talking to the mayor of Beregost (the one at the temple of Lathander)?

Otherwise, do consider not using BigWorld at all.

xrm1

Educated
Yeah, the log entry for the actual quest that tells me to bring him the symbol is under chapter 2, the town crier now says my party has slain Bassilus but I don't have a log entry for that.
I've got the symbol but the mayor lacks the dialogue option to give it to him.

I guess I'll check some other quests before moving on.

Delterius

Arcane
Yeah, considering the most popular mods, I have never seen that quest being broken before. Do consider ditching the BigWorld installation, their work is great for combining a smaller number of mods on your own since their list points out any incompatibilities, but the whole thing is likely less than ideal.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Quick question: if a party member has a timed quest, will the timer stop if I kick them out of the party and recruit them later to do their quest ?

Ladonna

Arcane
Yes, it will stop, but they may walk away and be permanently gone.

Other options are;

Kill them and leave them on the party roster until just before/after quest is fulfilled.

Use a cursed flesh to stone scroll on them and come back and collect them later.

Leitz

Learned
I'm not shure if I should bump this thread; I do it anyway.
I want to play BG again, try the solo evil mage run (that I always wanted to try). I never played the enhanced version, so I wonder if it's necassary. I'm kind of a vanilla player, I don't even care about a stretched picture on my 16:9 screen. Is the enhanced version sooo much better (the word 'enhanced' alone makes me sick)?

pippin

The enhanced version is like a badly modded BG1. I think the closest comparison would be Tutu or Trilogy. If you're a vanilla player then stick to what you have or the GoG version, now that's on sale.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm not shure if I should bump this thread; I do it anyway.
I want to play BG again, try the solo evil mage run (that I always wanted to try). I never played the enhanced version, so I wonder if it's necassary. I'm kind of a vanilla player, I don't even care about a stretched picture on my 16:9 screen. Is the enhanced version sooo much better (the word 'enhanced' alone makes me sick)?

EE is certainly not necessary, some people here think that it's worse than original. It has many convenience features integrated, but most of those features can be applied to the original game via mods.

If you are lazy or don't know anything about modding, buy the EE. If not, play the original.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd recommend against playing EE first if only because some of the added content is awful and might taint your opinion of the actual game.

Btw has anybody here tried to play it solo? It's probably not even possible.
Soloing BG1 is actually pretty easy with the right setup and enough knowledge of the game. You end up with way more XP than you should have because it's not being split 6 ways, and you can breeze through most encounters. I don't recommend it for your first playthrough, though.

Tigranes

Arcane
Just play the original. It's fine. Use widescreen mod if you must. EE is shit. BGT is also an option if you want to mod it up.

Solo BG1 is, as Xor says, easy when you know what you're doing.

deranged

Cipher
I would actually recommend the EE for a vanilla BG experience. Just ignore the 4, lame, npcs and the new sub-classes beamdog introduced and you'll have a much better time than original BG + widescreen mod.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just ignore the 4, lame, npcs

There's nothing wrong with Baeloth. However, that's probably because he is a semi-hidden bonus character, so he has a lot less dialogue than the other new NPC, so Beamdog couldn't ruin him with their fanfic-tier writing.

Baeloth could be considered overpowered, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom