Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Looks like there are many things to talk about regarding Balders Gate the Siege of Dragonheart

Interesting...
Stimulating...
Yes very good, I enjoy this
Keep going
Do not stop
More
AHHH YEEEEEEAA
Time for the climax you know it baby
Just tossing myself off a cliff
One less mouth to feed
Everything ends well

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
It is interesting if SoD was well written in the first place there would be no conversation of "Is this story I made in my head in 10 seconds better than the actual SoD story?" as for the question "Could a random RPG consumer make a better story than SoD?" The answer is yes easily. Because the bar is so low for SoD even a typical fan fiction with loads of fan service would be better than the "product" SoD delivered.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't the EEs have that functionality already built in? I.e. the companions start at level 1 and you can level them up manually when you recruit them?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Don't the EEs have that functionality already built in? I.e. the companions start at level 1 and you can level them up manually when you recruit them?

I believe you get to control some of the levelups but not all.

Morkar Left

I'm just trying to make the EET with mods work. It seems that indeed there is no level 1 mod for EET. Instead there seems to be a new one made from ground up for eet. But I refused to install it because I'm not sure if it's working properly.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The name of the mod is misleading, Lacrymas. Level One NPC allows you COMPLETE control: you can change class, starting weapon proficiencies, attributes, hell even starting spells. Effectively, Level One NPCs allows you to recreate NPCs from scratch exactly as if you created a completely new character.

You can make Minsc into a Sorcerer with 18 intelligence.

I just use it to tweak attributes, kits and proficiences when I do SCS playthroughs with multiple difficulty mods. So that I can both get NPC content like banters AND have full control over party customization.

So in essence:

EET/"ToB-style NPCs" = NPCs are deleveled to level 1 allowing you to customize the leveling process.

Level 1 NPCs = you have full control over EVERYTHING, except race.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is the IE. Wouldn't changing Minsc's class also potentially change his avatar? Or do they keep that fixed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm just trying to make the EET with mods work. It seems that indeed there is no level 1 mod for EET. Instead there seems to be a new one made from ground up for eet. But I refused to install it because I'm not sure if it's working properly.

What's the "new mod" you're talking about?

It should be really easy to mod for EET - there's a complete list of working mods as well as procedure for installing here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&page=1

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This is the IE. Wouldn't changing Minsc's class also potentially change his avatar? Or do they keep that fixed.

I don't believe so - though I've never made such extreme changes, I usually just optimize some things or switch companions to kits I find more interesting to play with.

Level 1 NPCs is a really old, well-coded mod. It works flawlessly and even enables you to change allowed weapons for different classes. So you can dual class an Archer to a Cleric (with the Tweak Pack option) and give him a composite longbow (courtesy of Level One NPCs).

Just remember to use the .cre fixer so you don't get crashes when you change Minsc to a Cleric and the game can't handle the fact that he has a two-handed sword equipped (.cre fixer unequips illegal weapons from creatures that shouldn't be allowed to use them so you don't get assertion errors. Hell, install it anyway, it fixes a ton of issues).

Morkar Left

Don't know how it's named currently. My BWS install is just running atm. Could be belong to EET but I doubt it. Not sure what it does exactly. But the author mentioned it's a replacement for level 1 npcs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don't know how it's named currently. My BWS install is just running atm. Could be belong to EET but I doubt it. Not sure what it does exactly. But the author mentioned it's a replacement for level 1 npcs.

..? That sounds... weird, since L1NPCs is being updated. Could you forward me the name when you got it? If it does give Level1NPC functionality I'd be highly surprised and pleased.

Morkar Left

I just read it in the BWS list. Will have to wait till installation is finished. Which could take some hours :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Been waiting for the L1NPC update for more than six months, I can give it a couple hours :P

EDIT: Made a post about it on G3 as well

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Morkar so a G3 user reminded me you're probably talking about "Non-Player Characters Enhanced" which indeed does claim to be a replacement for Level 1 NPCs but it in no way is that: it has way less functionality:

ReadMe said:
t's not as complete as L1NPCs, and my techniques are not as sophisticated.

[...]

The way this works is, during installation you can change the *class* of various NPCs. Some only have one alternate class, some have more than one, and some don't have any option to change. This is based on the in-game lore

What he means by "not as sophisticated" is that you get no control over proficiencies and starting spells, no attribute control and only very limited class and kit control. As well, kit changes have to take place in game which causes all sorts of problems.

Morkar Left

Ah thanks. Then it's settled. I hadn't took it into my installation because I thought it could do more harm than good.

Delterius

Arcane

Morkar Left

Currently I'm testing out the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition trilogy mod with a shitload of mods and Dragonspear to see how stable it is.

I have to say that the EEs as such are actually useful now. They made some engine improvements but made the new stuff toggable by now. But it's clear that it is still a new and unexperienced team e.g. their ui design has some improvements but it's still feels looks like on the level of some ui modding instead of some professional work. Often it's some minor polishing that seems to be missing. The finishing touches. E.g. the Dragonspear UI is not bad but way too dark.
And some modders make them look even worse in comparison: That's how a professional overhaul would have looked like.
Still, I'm happy they made the EEs and brought some improvements. There is a lot of stuff under the hood making mods like the ui above possible in the first place. Plus maintaining the engine for further hardware generations is a plus, too.
Not the best results but I prefer it over having nothing new at all.

Curious about Dragonspear. I expect it to be decent and I hope for good encounter design and decent writing except the already known clumsy/dumb stuff. I expect some kind of premium mega mod. Not some "lost part" of BGT that was missing but something that will fit into the game without looking out of place.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Morkar, don't have such high expectations is all I can say. About the UI - I hate the very disgusting mobile-like solid block lines across spells in the spellbooks when you click on them. I utterly despise that aesthetic in general and it clashes even worse in the BGs, anachronistic to a cringe-inducing degree.

nimateb

Augur
So I started playing this, I'm in the final chapter playing a solo cleric and I have to say its been fun, not as good as BG2 or IWD but definetly better than PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom