Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
If only someone makes a mod to rewrite all that horrible, horrendous shit. All of Edwin's lines come to mind. ALL.

If that happens, then it'll be a classic for sure.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
I am pretty sure some 12 year old youngsters who play all EE the first time will be blown up with excitement.
They will make nearly all the exp we made, but with more content.
BUT - I dare to to say that it will not as much people when the games come out the first time.
So will it be a classic?
Well, time will tell and the young ones when the Codex is still alive will roam and analyse the shit of it lol!

Sykar

Arcane
Let's face it, Siege of Dragonspear stands as the best campaign of the current gen.

Its UI/pathing routine extensions on base IE, its scripted waylays with sub-ARs, its sheer amount of reactivity and choices during sieges (puts Tyranny to shame), its solid combat encounters, dungeon design and sensible itemization (aVENGER), its Legacy of Bhaal mode, its replay-friendly skippable dialogue and cutscenes, and its overall polish are proof of this. Not to mention EIGHT romances. And I hear an IE veteran wrote a great walkthrough for it, too. Plus, Android and IOS versions in the pipeline.

Siege of Dragonspear will go down as a classic.

How is that praisworthy considering that almost all romances written in Bioware games, former or present, were pretty bad.

Delterius

Arcane
That makes it true to the source material. Beamdog did not accidentally write a story better than Baldur's Gate, which makes the expansion fit in with the original trilogy.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are -67% on GoG. Unfortunate that SoD is -20% (-40% for Deluxe).

Still, the Codexers who haven't snapped it up yet probably should do so (though I understand many of you are poor, even homeless.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I ever buy it it'll be at bargain bin prices. Just 20% off after more than a year is suspicious. For comparison, T:ToN is at -30%.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
It's pretty average, so wait for a discount or torrent it. SJWdog doesn't deserve your money.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are -67% on GoG. Unfortunate that SoD is -20% (-40% for Deluxe).

Still, the Codexers who haven't snapped it up yet probably should do so (though I understand many of you are poor, even homeless.)

Some of us are just cheap. And Beamdog is not the kind of publisher I want to support by buying at full or nearly full price.

Incidentally, the Deluxe version of Dragonspear seems to only add a soundtrack. People really fork out 10-20 extra dollars just for a soundtrack?

Sykar

Arcane

No, people should buy the originals instead of throwing money at those parasites from Beamdog.

ArchAngel

Arcane

No, people should buy the originals instead of throwing money at those parasites from Beamdog.
And how do you propose people buy the originals?

Sykar

Arcane

Either Ebay or get it from somewhere else.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can't buy them digitally anywhere, afaik. Physical copies are somewhat easy to find though.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Either Ebay or get it from somewhere else.
You cannot buy them legally anymore. You might as well pirate than.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Buy the 5 disc big box version from a charity shop, the money goes to a good cause and you get a gaming classic that is only partially covered in snot. I saw one the other day but volunteers aren't allowed to buy stock until its been out on shelves for at least 24 hours, and there's only so long you can block people from browsing the display before the manager gets suspicious.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished the game. It's damn good. Last battle is pretty fucking brutal on insane; although, I didn't have an optimized party. I tried to beat it by fighting the boss and Caelar at the same time, but it was too damn hard. I gave up and just settled. I'm probably going to replay it with a better party configuration.

I really hate the replies that Beamdog allow you to give. There is a point in the game
when you are parlaying at Dead Man's (whatever). They want to take the Bahlspawn. It was written stupidly because you just came from the Underground River and saw what Hephernaan was doing. He wanted to open the gates to hell. Why the fuck didn't they let your character respond with that? That was the single point that frustrated the hell out of me. Why couldn't you tell that stupid bitch Caelar or even your generals? Even if they don't believe you, it gives you a better reason to not go with Caelar because you know their plans.
Beamdog did a horrible job there.

Most of the companions were pretty lackluster. Corwin is really good, though. They seemed to have worked hard on developing her character. I wish they would've kept her throughout the saga.

The battles were actually really fucking great. There are so many fucking enemies, and they throw a fuckton of wizards at you during the actual siege. I thought that would've been easy given that you have a solid number of troops, but they put like 10 wizards with spell deflections and a fuckton of clerics with sanctuary. Then they don't let you buff well before-hand because you will lose a ton of allies in the initial charge and will be overwhelmed fast. They did the same with the boss.

The high point of the game were the boss battles. They made for some memorable fights.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Finished the game. It's damn good. Last battle is pretty fucking brutal on insane; although, I didn't have an optimized party. I tried to beat it by fighting the boss and Caelar at the same time, but it was too damn hard. I gave up and just settled. I'm probably going to replay it with a better party configuration.

I really hate the replies that Beamdog allow you to give. There is a point in the game
when you are parlaying at Dead Man's (whatever). They want to take the Bahlspawn. It was written stupidly because you just came from the Underground River and saw what Hephernaan was doing. He wanted to open the gates to hell. Why the fuck didn't they let your character respond with that? That was the single point that frustrated the hell out of me. Why couldn't you tell that stupid bitch Caelar or even your generals? Even if they don't believe you, it gives you a better reason to not go with Caelar because you know their plans.
Beamdog did a horrible job there.

Most of the companions were pretty lackluster. Corwin is really good, though. They seemed to have worked hard on developing her character. I wish they would've kept her throughout the saga.

The battles were actually really fucking great. There are so many fucking enemies, and they throw a fuckton of wizards at you during the actual siege. I thought that would've been easy given that you have a solid number of troops, but they put like 10 wizards with spell deflections and a fuckton of clerics with sanctuary. Then they don't let you buff well before-hand because you will lose a ton of allies in the initial charge and will be overwhelmed fast. They did the same with the boss.

The high point of the game were the boss battles. They made for some memorable fights.
Fucking priests in this game actually cast Sanctuary all the time and then proceed to fully heal themselves while you cannot do much to stop them :D
It was irritating but that is how it should be :D

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are so many fucking enemies, and they throw a fuckton of wizards at you during the actual siege.
But you can just buff and attack siege camp first.
If you try, though, you're going to lose a lot of troops since they don't pause. The battle becomes a bit overwhelming then, and as I said, my party wasn't at all optimized or min/maxed. I don't like playing like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom