Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Some dialogue will make you feel dumber for having read it. I mean, it literally goes full :retarded:.

Other dialogue will probably make you feel like it was worth reading: that's how it fluctuates.

The writing is just not consistent in quality - and there is a hell of a lot of writing in this campaign, with many more examples of utterly awful than great.

Luckily I don't play Siege for its dialogue or story, or my walkthrough would not get far. Try not to take that aspect of the campaign too srsly, and you will probably enjoy the campaign for its other aspects, some of which are pretty original but others - like how it draws heavily from IWD - not so much.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some dialogue will make you feel dumber for having read it. I mean, it literally goes full :retarded:.

Other dialogue will probably make you feel like it was worth reading: that's how it fluctuates.

The writing is just not consistent in quality - and there is a hell of a lot of writing in this campaign, with many more examples of utterly awful than great.

Luckily I don't play Siege for its dialogue or story, or my walkthrough would not get far. Try not to take that aspect of the campaign too srsly, and you will probably enjoy the campaign for its other aspects, some of which are pretty original but others - like how it draws heavily from IWD - not so much.

Thanks for your comments, Lilura. Sounds somewhat akin to the Shadowrun games, which I do enjoy.

Brief compliment on your blog, also. Great source of info / content.

Also, does anyone know if mods are working with the most current edition of the EE's? I noticed with the first SoD patch that mod support seemed a tad borked.

pippin

Dungeons and Dragons has been a mainstream property since the early 80s. It's just that today people go for the "I'm a real gamer XD" angle.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I had no idea. I checked out 5th Edition and wasn't impressed. But I don't think it's that popamolized, it still has the traditional pnp inconveniences, such as building a staying group of players, keeping updated as the same shit quickly grows stale, and the intricacies of world building and campaign running (I know you could grab a standard setting but it also takes time to become familiar with it. Of course, I'm talking about appeal to the general public, since an accomplished GM could make things real smoothly).

Theldaran

Liturgist
In all honesty, I thought the game was dying. It probably is just shifting audiences.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In a movie they likely wouldn't even need to address the x spells per day thing. They would just cast spells when needed and be 'refreshed' as they traveled. You might get a couple of lines where the caster will say they are running low on spells or if a priest needs to pray for them . I actually wonder how they'll handle FR religion and how it would effect the characters.

Agreed. Spells would just be the equivalent of ammunition in action movies... they only run low when it's relevant to the plot or helps build tension.

animlboogy

Learned
HOLY. FUXKING. SHIT.
the movie was in production last year and DnD is the least neckbeardy thing ever. Its the shittiest normie game ever made.
A normie game? Are you talking abouth Fourth Edition?

D&D hasn't ever been hugely popular. And when it was most popular, it had a very bad movie (the one with Jeremy Irons on it).

DnD is a normie game. It hit major normie levels with 5e. EVERYONE knows the brand. Just the name sure but most people under 30 are interested in trying it out. In the university Ive run games for meathead jocks who lifted constantly, women who gemerally avoid geeky shit and so on. DnD as a brand is very known and has serious cultural penetration. 5E outsold all previous editions and fucked pathfinder in its niche buildmeta autist ass.

DnD has always attracted "normies", it's the most recognizable version of a very compelling style of games that for whatever reason has a lot of stigma attached to it. Once people try it they tend to stay on board.

I still don't think you can look at 5E and say that it is the epitome of mass appeal. Even among the most neckbearded of RPG nerds, you mostly find people who refuse to touch a game like 5E. Most people, even self-declared "hardcore gamers" are barely aware that tabletop gaming exists, even the actual borderline mainstream stuff like Catan.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
I don't think I'll ever understand why people want to argue about how much they can't stand playing anything that isn't sufficiently autistic enough to keep away everyone else

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So is Siege of Dragonspear canon now?

Since they worked with WotC on it, I'm pretty sure yes.
:deadtroll: Well it's official than, just like what george lucas did with the star wars prequels, Baldur's Gate series is now forever tainted with the filth of Beamdog.

its not like WotC hasnt been raping its corpse constantly.

WotC is so incompetent. 'Let's turn DnD into a brand!"

Tabletop:
Decent Board Game
Okay Deckbuildng game
RPG:
Good Core books
Bad adventure
Okay adventure
okay adventure
Horrible, just fucking awful splatbook
Mediocre adventure
Video Games:
A game so terrible it killed the company that made it
An expansion written by fedora tipping neckbeards, complete with references to fucking gamergate of all things. What the fuck?
Movie:
It's a coming!
Who is willing to bet it won't be something good, like a max max film which just features awesome people dealing with evil and will actually be like...a shitty DnD movie that's horribly fucking crippled by the brand's garbge. Whoop! gotta have drizzt in it you know hue hue hue...

What's the deckbuilding game?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yep, it seems the high point on this campaign were the two optional dungeons and a few encounters, the rest is just crap.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The last three areas covered in my last two posts have been BOREFESTS (Coalition Camp, Dead Man's Pass, Dragonspear courtyard).

I think my walkthrough is a great read for anyone who doesn't care about spoilers and just wants to see what this campaign is REALLY like.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part XI.

An example of banter in Siege. Yes, it's fully voiced.

banter.jpg

:negative:

I'm really hoping this campaign gets gud again with the Underground River segment. Read the last three of my posts and tell me that's not a borefest. Someone on the Beamdog forums told me it's good, but someone on my blog told me they almost got burned out by it. I'm steeling myself before writing this next post. Wish me luck!

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part XI.

An example of banter in Siege. Yes, it's fully voiced.

:negative:

I'm really hoping this campaign gets gud again with the Underground River segment. Read the last three of my posts and tell me that's not a borefest. Someone on the Beamdog forums told me it's good, but someone on my blog told me they almost got burned out by it. I'm steeling myself before writing this next post. Wish me luck!

:flamesaw:

Welp, I know I'm not taking any of the new npcs when I finally get around to playing SoD..

Good luck indeed, definitely sounds less than stellar.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Beamdog were kind enough to offer IWD-esque Create Party option, so that's good. Yeah, you could do that in BG with "single player multi player" mode but it was a bit of a muck around. Btw M'Khinn is a great companion and Corwin is ok, too. Neera and Glint I have found pretty annoying.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Beamdog were kind enough to offer IWD-esque Create Party option, so that's good. Yeah, you could do that in BG with "single player multi player" mode but it was a bit of a muck around. Btw M'Khinn is a great companion and Corwin is ok, too. Neera and Glint I have found pretty annoying.

Ah, okay. I'll try those two at least, then. I sort of liked Neera in the first game's EE but in BG 2 she was just insufferable.

Also, looking at your recruitable npc summary; I only really like Viconia out of the choices present. I've never made my own party in a BG game before but shit, with this selection I think I'd rather make some of my own.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
Glint is one of those 'lulz randumbz!11!' type of characters/people that should've been sent to camps back in the 90s. Since they start you out in that one dungeon with basically whoever you want makes no sense that they rip them away from you for no real reason

Sizzle

Arcane
For some reason, a lot of authors are in love with that characters-who-speak-like-Buffy shtick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom