Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Badnorth roguelike RTS

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Write something about the game you lazy asshole, this is not facebook :argh::argh::argh:

(I can't watch videos at the moment)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
you can search yourself
argh.gif

Features:
+ REAL-TIME TACTICS ROGUELITE: Position and relocate your troops to fend off the Vikings, who each have their own counters to the threats you pose. Pick your battles and plan your evacuations carefully! Lose a commander and they're gone forever; lose everything, and it's game over!
+ INTELLIGENT UNIT CONTROLS: You command the broad strokes of your defenses and monitor positioning — your soldiers do the rest, navigating and engaging intuitively in response to the situation at hand.
+ PROCEDURALLY-GENERATED ISLANDS: Each island is both stylistically charming and unique in its layout. Plan your strategies around every nook and cranny, for you only get one chance to save them from the enemy invasion
+ UNLOCKABLE UPGRADES AND COLLECTIBLES: A stronger, smarter defense leads to greater rewards. Use these to develop your subjects from a ragtag militia into seasoned warriors.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I don't even have a Switch nor do I plan to ever get one btw, I just wanted to see what that is :M

index.php

Arcane
Introducing Bad North: Jotunn Edition
11 Jun @ 5:14pm - [Raw Fury] LiVam
Something big is coming...

CdA6L7Z.jpg

Introducing Bad North: Jotunn Edition, a brand new content expansion, launching this summer - completely free, on all platforms.

The team have been hard at work listening to feedback and crafting exciting new features and content for the game. For those of you that have the game on Steam, we’d like to invite you to check out a public beta for this giant update, starting right now.

We really want your feedback on this preview build, so if you have thoughts on the balance, new features, or find some bugs (oh no!), let us know here:
https://rawfury.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1
(Select Bad North: Jotunn Edition under the game field)

What’s New?
Campaign Changes

We've reworked the campaign progression to show the enemy types on levels, advance the Viking Frontier faster and replaced individual gold with a shared gold pool. This all comes together to allow you to make much more informed strategic decisions between levels and makes tackling multiple islands per turn a more viable approach.

Og2gg7t.png

New Upgrades & Meta Progression
There are 4 more Items to find and we’re also introducing Commander Traits - smaller, passive buffs for your Commanders - so more than ever you will need to work with what you have and each run will be more unique. Over time you can unlock all these Items and Traits as Starting Upgrades, which you can select for your initial 2 Commanders when starting a new game.

LppVB1S.gif

Difficulty Changes
There are some new options for more casual play, such as Checkpoint Islands which give you a reset point, acting as a safety net for when your campaign reaches a tragic conclusion. You can also opt out of the "Iron Man" behaviour of the game by enabling Replayable Levels on a new campaign (no more save scrubbing needed!). And if more casual is not what you're looking for, we've also added an unlockable Very Hard difficulty for those who are up to the challenge.

On top of this we've tweaked up a lot of the basic / core mechanics, tightened up a lot of gameplay, polished the visuals further and added some quality of life features.

0765683c53092cceb62a767d95d908eea4688f4b.gif

Features & Changes

️4 new items
️Hero Traits
️See the enemy types you will face before playing a level
️Shared gold
️Checkpoints
️Replayable Levels
️Very Hard difficulty
️Choose the look and loadout of your starting commanders
️Unlock Items and Traits for your starting commanders
️Track your unlocks in the new Codex
️Replaced the red shielded vikings with a new enemy type
️Units are more effective at retreating from enemies on command
️Units (including shielded enemies) can be knocked off of ships
️Rebalanced all attacks that launch units
️Delete your old Save Games
️Commander stats

Plus: Lots of visual / UI tweaks, small gameplay changes and too many things for us to ever list here!

7952962b5c475ae5f908b7bfc94a6c9f30f199f1.png

To Access The Beta

In your Steam Library, right click on Bad North -> Properties
In the BETAS tab, click in the dropdown and select public_beta
The game will start updating and once it’s done, you will be in the preview of the Jotunn Edition!
Send feedback and bugs to https://rawfury.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1 (Select Bad North: Jotunn Edition under the game field)

Your progress in this beta won't carry over to the full game, nor will it replace any existing progress.

Please note that any and all content is subject to change during and after this beta period. Viking safety cannot be guaranteed.

Thank you
/Plausible Concept & Raw Fury

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Bought this recently and it's very addictive despite (or maybe because of) its simplicity. One of the few games where random levels actually contribute a positive experience since there are often new scenarios that require novel arrangements of troops.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Man, I rolled the shittiest map I've ever seen on the last mission on Hard. And brute archers almost every wave. I really don't want to start over when I'm one island from victory. :negative:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RTS with random levels where you lose if you lose... that's just skirmish mode.
Not if you connect it nicely with a campaign map, some consistent progress mechanic, etc.
Which this game seems to at least somewhat do, maybe, not sure...

Game isn't really my thing due to how abstract everything looks and how minimally small the maps are.

Anyway, I find this connection between battles extremely important. One of the reasons my favourite RTS games are those that actually do offer a campaign map where you can unlock stuff, improve your units/hero/etc. and can enact at least some sort of agency.
While campaigns that are just entirely linear and purely "story driven" I never really find as engaging (and certainly not worth a second playthrough).

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Ok, a series of skirmishes where you build up in between a little (the one thing SC2 did well imo) is barely, vaguely roguelike. And it is a good idea, shame it's attached to such a bland aesthetic. But honestly, if you're going to stretch it that far, the term is pretty much meaningless. It happens to share a couple qualities with roguelikes that are also shared with the genre it's already from and RPGs. You might as well call it an RTS/RPG game. Just call it an RTS and point out it's single quirk.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It happens to share a couple qualities with roguelikes that are also shared with the genre it's already from and RPGs. You might as well call it an RTS/RPG game. Just call it an RTS and point out it's single quirk.
Yeah... people suck at using genres correctly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom