Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bad News: Chaos Chronicles development on hold due to legal trouble with bitComposer

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
[...] but did you know they forbid them from selling it in a whole bunch of countries, just so they could sell it Retail? (Spain, Italy, and I'm pretty sure that Mexico as well).
I can confirm that. No Expeditions for Mexico and the whole Latin American market.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'm not necessarily talking about the fond. ("Fond?" Do you mean fund? Foundation?)

Typical Grunkerian Danification. I mean foundation.

It's called FilmFernsehFonds Bayern. And I have no reliable information, but wikipedia says it's financed by Bayerische Landeszentrale für neue Medien (BLM), Bayerischer Rundfunk, ZDF and private television ProSiebenSat.1 and RTL. If the Gebühreneinzugszentrale (GEZ) is behind via BLM, BR, ZDF, etc it means every German household has contributed to it.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I can't help but feel sorry for everyone involved. It's a bizzare, often rotten industry plagued by ludicrously convoluted rules and laws heavily stacked against creative people putting their hearts and souls into the process of crafting their dream project. It's unfortunate that Chaos Chronicles had to fall victim to the decaying, publisher-driven business model.

It's quite probable that Coreplay are also to blame to a certain extent, but they're the last party whom I'd suspect of actively looking for ways to torpedo the game at this stage of development.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm not necessarily talking about the fond. ("Fond?" Do you mean fund? Foundation?)

It's called FilmFernsehFonds Bayern. And I have no reliable information, but wikipedia says it's financed by Bayerische Landeszentrale für neue Medien (BLM), Bayerischer Rundfunk, ZDF and private television ProSiebenSat.1 and RTL. If the Gebühreneinzugszentrale (GEZ) is behind via BLM, BR, ZDF, etc it means every German household has contributed to it.

So in Danish "fond", but in English, "foundation."

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
how much of the existing work can be recycled by coreplay into something else for a kickstarter? call it Anarchy Annals or Discord Diaries or Entropy Essays...

That would be ideal under the circumstances. New game, but experience and stuff from the old project (you can be very productive if you re-program something a second time)

Hegel

Arcane

So in Danish "fond", but in English, "foundation."
It's a fund (managed I assume by a foundation).
The German equivalent of US charitable foundations are called gemeinwohlkonforme Allzweckstiftung or Stiftungen.
The word as you might have noticed is common (they have the same root and often meaning). Because in civil law (especially the heavily romanized ones such as Italian and German) the core of a foundation is indeed the patrimonial and indipendent grant ( as opposite to associations where the individual and personal aspect are the preponderant element), just like in a private fund (as a matter of fact in ancient Rome foundations were a form associative business).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is horrible. So much for the renaissance of rpgs. Conquistador selling bad, this getting canceled, Cleve being Cleve...

Oh man, I was so looking forward to this. My day is ruined and I am not exaggerating.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
From the Steam forums. I swear, they shouldn't have allied with fucking Shitcomposer in the first place. They might have gotten them past Greenlight limbo, but did you know they forbid them from selling it in a whole bunch of countries, just so they could sell it Retail? (Spain, Italy, and I'm pretty sure that Mexico as well).

Legends of Isenwald managed to clear Greenlight, maybe Conquistador would be able to as well.

Shitcomposer is nothing but god damn corrosive fucking poision.

ryAOOAb.jpg
It goes to show that getting on Steam isn't an answer to all your prayers, and if you can't get enough people to Greenlight your game, sharing your cut with a publisher to get you on Steam is kind of pointless.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
From the Steam forums. I swear, they shouldn't have allied with fucking Shitcomposer in the first place. They might have gotten them past Greenlight limbo, but did you know they forbid them from selling it in a whole bunch of countries, just so they could sell it Retail? (Spain, Italy, and I'm pretty sure that Mexico as well).

Legends of Isenwald managed to clear Greenlight, maybe Conquistador would be able to as well.

Shitcomposer is nothing but god damn corrosive fucking poision.

ryAOOAb.jpg
It goes to show that getting on Steam isn't an answer to all your prayers, and if you can't get enough people to Greenlight your game, sharing your cut with a publisher to get you on Steam is kind of pointless.

I plan to stop by Logic Artists and interview them on the topic of Kickstarter Aftermath, and I look forward to bringing their response that almost all of their sales have been on Steam, and without it they would have made next to money, distribution deal or no ;)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not convinced of the latter yet. They still probably got revenue they otherwise would not have got by being on steam.

It might not be worth it to launch with a publisher taking revenue, but after the first month or two of sales, it is probably worth it. Of course, then it's possible no one will want you.

With a niche game like this, it's also likely to have a long tail. I think Amnesia was selling well a year after it had launched, which is unheard of in the console world.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker

How is it even possible? Weren't they on GoG, GG, Desura? Nobody's buying the game?

Hey, I don't know shit. I was just guessing (like you :M). My point was that it might as well be that they got a huge revenue-stream from there they wouldn't have otherwise. I have plenty of friends who don't even know GoG exists, who will often buy random indies on Steam on spur-of-the-moment.

Like I said, I plan to stop by their office and listen to how the aftermath for an Indie Kickstarter is like. What's the prospects for the future. What did they sell. How are they doing now, that kind of stuff. Let me know if you want me to ask them anything.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
With a niche game like this, it's also likely to have a long tail. I think Amnesia was selling well a year after it had launched, which is unheard of in the console world.
Amnesia the horror game? Well, it's first-person survival horror. Turn-based, isometric, and text-heavy it's not.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Amnesia the horror game? Well, it's first-person survival horror. Turn-based, isometric, and text-heavy it's not.
I didn't say that E:C will sell the same, but I would expect the same, selling better than expected many months down the road.

That might not be enough for Logic Artists as it sounds like they barely got this game out as it was and might have needed a windfall early, but I can't control that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Amnesia got a fuckton of exposure tuluse. It's world famous, even among casual gamers.

When I was teaching at a folk high school (kind of a pre-high school boarding school that kids choose to go at themselves in the break between public school and high school) I saw this game being played in a room full of kids from all walks of life during a sleepover. We're talking 20 youngsters, none of whom would fit the profile for gamer even if they tried.

It's such a unique story of perfect timing, marketing and craft that I doubt you can compare it meaningfully to anything.

I know what you're trying to say though, and I agree, except for the overall example.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expeditions: Conquistador's marketing failed on multiple levels, but I suspect the mere act of releasing as a Paradox-branded historical strategy game could have netted them many sales from CK2 fans.

I wonder if they ever had the option of going with Paradox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom