Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Axis&Allies Codex MP

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Damn straight I'm a luddite, proud of it too! Can't we use a snazzy group convo here on the dex? That's how I roll for all PBEM stuff, crisp and clean, like the good Lord intended it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Damn straight I'm a luddite, proud of it too! Can't we use a snazzy group convo here on the dex? That's how I roll for all PBEM stuff, crisp and clean, like the good Lord intended it.

No.

Use this.

https://discordapp.com/

I realize we're all Eu on team Allies, so we can easily chat together. No voice chat or extra programs needed, Kalin dear. Nothing but registering and finding your poor old Dayyalu and his anime avatar.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Okay bromen I think I finally got it working, horrible hipsterware this, the things you do for Kodex...

Also registered for the dice roll thingy and tried another test game to get the hang of things. Ended up losing a ton of forces in an ill-fated massive attack out of Egypt.

5FUeeFu.png

Well, who knew! It was a sound plan!

sqeecoo

Arcane
So, as far as I understand it I need everyone's mails if I'm to create the game? Via PM? Teammates can also give me their skype handles or something :)

Also, shall we go for Low Luck setting? Basically, this guarantees hits based on the amount of hit rolls on the dice you have, divided by six. Like if you are attacking with two tanks, that's 3+3 hit rolls, divided by six giving you a guaranteed hit (no chance of miss or of two hits). If you are attacking with three tanks, you get a guaranteed hit + a dice roll at 3 or less to hit - so any extras are rolled as normal, but you get a guaranteed amount of hits. I like this, there's still an element of luck but there won't be stupidly lucky/unlucky battles, making it more about strategy than luck.

Tell me your preferences on this :)

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I believe back when I played a lot we used low luck and it tended to work out to a better overall game. Call the guaranteed hit "attrition" if you want. It rewarded strategy without completely getting rid of the fun of RNG in these types of games. That said it did get rid of the insane fun of daring/foolhardy maneuvers. No more lone tank going on a lucky rampage and pretending the driver is Patton or Rommel. So....it does get rid of that fun stuff. :)

sqeecoo

Arcane
Yeah! But also gets rid of a lot of the frustration. Feeling that I lost a crucial battle and then the game because of ridiculous dice rolls just makes me annoyed, while loosing to a better strategist is honorable and fun.

On the other hand, having the final showdown in Moscow or something NOT be mostly predictable is nice and tense :) As is said, I'm fine with both but prefer Low Luck. I'll take this as an "okay" for LL from KoolNoodles :)

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Low luck seems like the way to go.

I actually finished the manual today and read up on some basics. This gon b gud!

sqeecoo

Arcane
It's only "gon b gud" if you take short break from colonialist oppression in Africa and India and send me the email you will be using.

That goes for you too, KoolNoodles-san!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Downloaded the client, looked over the rules, my body is ready to die for the Emperor.
kamikaze-detail.jpg

I assume we're just using the basic map and such with Pact of Steel?

Edit: Also, it took me a bit but I finally found out what LHTR means. A set of rules made by the designer for tournament play.

http://www.axisandallies.org/p/larry_harris_tournament_rules_lhtr_2_0/

Are we using that ruleset, because whoever "hosts" would have to change some options as recommended in the Pact of Steel opening.

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Also, I played a few test games, and I'm not sure I like low luck anymore. :)

There are some cheesy things you can do with it, like sending 6 bombers against an IC(with AA). Even if the AA kills one bomber(guaranteed), the other five bombers easily do enough PU damage to make up for the loss of the one bomber. Can repeat that every turn for a "free" point swing, with absolutely no drama involved. You could argue this would happen anyways without LL, but there would be the "chance" of more risk(and reward) involved, so sending those bombers out wouldn't be "risk free". It takes the drama out of a lot of battle situations. Any ~3-4v1 battle is a guaranteed loss for the lone unit.

In short it gets kind of boring! It is quite easy to start knowing battle results(roughly) before they even happen, if your numerical advantage is high enough.

Japan reverses their vote for LL. Our destiny is preordained by the gods, and the body but a vessel for the soul. We do not fear the dice!

Edit: I was also reading some gripes from veteran players. Basically, as a house rule, the game is not designed for LL. Which is why you get some silly situations as above. It's meant to be a game played with dice, and you should plan accordingly. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, without having a backup plan.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Yeah, with LL battles are much less tense, I agree. Unrealistically so, even. Still, your strategy falling apart because your 10 troops can't roll a single hit is more frustrating to me :) But if I counted correctly we now have two votes for LL and two against - we will go with no LL unless things change since that is after all the default option.

I'm still waiting for emails from Nikephoro and Castozor!

EDIT: I didn't count correctly. KN and Dayyalu vote against, Kalin, Nikephoro, and I vote for LL.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I will say, even with the silliness of my last picture, the next combat round those dudes got slaughtered, and Americans lost only a couple units. :)

Castozor

Scholar
I vote for LL as well. Craziness is all fun and good but losing a game because those last 2 tanks refuse to die to my 7 is infuriating. And I wish to apologize for my late replies, I've been away for a few days but should have let you know.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Well, I'm having trouble registering for the dice server. The dice server says "This email is already registered", but rolling dice ingame says email stjepan_marusic@yahoo.com is not registered. Perhaps it's the underdash? Dunno, will look into it tomorrow!

sqeecoo

Arcane
I've sent off the turn and am getting spammed by the mail server as well. Who knows what is going on!

Dayyālu

Arcane
Who knows what is going on!

Things

pZGMXCN.jpg

Wheeeeeeeeee

LJeSlOB.jpg

Operation Charon has been an astounding success, with the Bielorussian front smashing through the German lines for kilometers and destroying large amounts of Axis equipment. STAVKA firmly believes that the German forces in the area, even with considerable armoured and air support, are incapable of retaking their former positions.

Messerschmitt_Bf109F_I.JG_51_destroyed_eastern_front_1941.jpg

The 1st Ukrainian front gained another success in engaging and defeating elite units of the German army during operations in Ukraine. The liberation of Kharkov however has to wait, to avoid leaving our forces wide open to counterattacks. Several German Fighter units have been destroyed*.

*Somewhat unconfirmed

Marshal Dayyalu, in his last communiqué to the troops, has again reiterated his faith in the final victory of the Allied cause:

nAfc1w0.jpg
Comrades! We must have the greatest faith in our little Allies in the West! I am sure that they know fully what they are doing and they are planning their campaigns in the most minute details. The Briton representative has confirmed to me that massive victories have been obtained in the Mediterranean and soon supplies will reach our front.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom