Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Axioms Of Dominion Overview

MoLAoS

Still waiting on a rundown of the "many ways"
Still waiting for a reason why this guy owes you an explanation.
He doesn't.

I enjoy putting him on the spot though, because i know, and knew full well, that he doesnt have an idea what hes talking about, just like the above genius.
If you're trying to mess with me about game design, you'll have to get a bit more esoteric than voronoi diagrams sweetie. That's stuff any n00b with a dream can find on stack exchange.

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
Still waiting on a rundown of the "many ways"
Still waiting for a reason why this guy owes you an explanation.
He doesn't.

I enjoy putting him on the spot though, because i know, and knew full well, that he doesnt have an idea what hes talking about, just like the above genius.
If you're trying to mess with me about game design, you'll have to get a bit more esoteric than voronoi diagrams sweetie. That's stuff any n00b with a dream can find on stack exchange.

:roll:

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
I cant wait to see your leet procedural map gen. Please tag me when you have ANYTHING decent :lol:

MoLAoS

How are you finding SMFL and TGUI?
Pretty good for my purposes. TGUI has a few issues cause its just one dude doing it for free. When I started it lacked some features but its been a while so its pretty good now.

vean

Scholar
What kind of issues? How are you finding the performance? Is it heavy on abstractions? I've been looking at C and C++ game GUI libraries recently.

Anyway about your game, I'd suggest putting at least a mode in it where it has time limits and/or win conditions. In my opinion It's MUCH harder to make an entertaining game if there's no goal or end.

MoLAoS

What kind of issues? How are you finding the performance? Is it heavy on abstractions? I've been looking at C and C++ game GUI libraries recently.

Anyway about your game, I'd suggest putting at least a mode in it where it has time limits and/or win conditions. In my opinion It's MUCH harder to make an entertaining game if there's no goal or end.
For TGUI it was mainly its a lack of features and when I was starting to use it it was going into dev 0.7 which entailed rewriting a lot of code. He switched from call back numbers to using functions for GUI events. It wasn't a huge deal but during the early phase it was irritating. Of course I can always modify the thing myself since its ZLIB but I don't really enjoy doing that. Previously when I was working on a for of Glest/Glest Advanced Engine for an RTS game they used wxWidgets. I think I actually prefer TGUI to their implementation. SFML is pretty much no issues. Its old and settled down. Most of the arguments these days are about their GPU pipeline which is pretty close to the metal for me so since it doesn't affect me I don't care.

Norfleet

The name of the game itself suggests its goal or end: Dominion. You win when you dominate your opposition. The only win condition needed is that: Dominate your opposition, either through total annihilation, or being deemed unstoppable by controlling some large percentage of All The Things.

MoLAoS

New picture of random map where I colonized a province. The reason the map so fugly is I haven't written code to clean up artifacts yet like those weird province borders or the pale grey which means its not actually a province and didn't get colored during map gen.
NdcC2Q6.png

MoLAoS

In Axioms of Dominion there are 3 modes. "civ start", "paradox start" and "player sculpted start". This post is specifically focused on the "civ start" mode. In this mode you start with a race unique to your nation. The standard start is a humanish race as the base race. "National" races are a base race or a designed race that uses national nouns. So your national base race could be elves but they'd be called Abyssians if your nation was Abyssia.

One major part of Axioms that is missing from all over strategy games is developing your race and culture and society in general. Since the game is fantasy you can breed with various other races or even crossbreed with creatures or w/e. Well, unless your people are racial purists. Or if you aren't an absolute ruler maybe you can only incentivize interbreeding, but that's a topic for another post.

Depending on your goals, both gameplay and flavor wise, you could find a lost race or a rare creature and engage in a centuries long program of interbreeding to give your nation a unique character and unique culture or just purely for power. Potentially if you conquered an area with a habitat you were not suited for you might interbreed with native races or use magic to acquire traits of native creatures to become more productive in your new lands. Alternative you might magically alter your territory as well as your race at the same time to give yourself a large advantage there and/or make it seem inhospitable to potential enemies.

Axioms keeps track of a relatively large number of factors affecting the climate of regions/provinces in the game. You essentially have both natural and magical factors that affect the climate of each region/province. Your population does adapt naturally over time in both knowledge and form to different environments but the magic efforts discussed above can greatly accelerate the process.

Variables in climate include things like altitude, temperature, ambient sources of various magical energies, soil acidity, soil quality, rainfall, sunlight, etc. Different plants and animals prefer different climates. Altering climate provides advantages as long as you don't accidentally drive valuable animal or plant species to extinction.

If this seems complicated that's because it is. However keeping track of more information for each province/region, race, character, crop, and creature allows for a much different style of gameplay than is possible with a more abstract system like that used in Civ or other simplistic 4x games. You can create races/nations with vastly different compositions and gamestyles and there is also more variety that can generate conflict and interesting diplomacy/politics for those aspects of the game. Also adds to the economic gameplay.

On that note a major part of the game involves the aspects of your nation that are political and cultural rather than racial. Axioms allows unprecedented variety in how you manage your populace. You are able to apply laws based on racial, national, religious, class/caste, and other such factors. You can forge a nation which uses conquered humans/dwarves as a labor caste while the ruling castes are elvish/dragon/flameborn types with powerful magic and superior education. You might only allow dragon bred elves to be priests or researchers or learn the magical knowledge your society possesses. Purebred elves may be the only ones allocated management and administrative duties.

Class/caste based societies have unique costs and benefits as do nationalist single race societies and more diverse nations. Nationalist single race nations are far less likely to have uprisings during wars. A society with a racial underclass might have issues with revolts if a same race kingdom who promises better lives invades. Diverse nations have more potential revolting populations but since there isn't a race based class/caste system they have less incentive to revolt. My goal is to make it so that different political and cultural choices only result in trade offs rather than having say a high literacy level diverse gender equal democracy be strictly superior which is something many games do. Victoria and Civ for instance. Similarly slavery or gender limitations have their downs but also their ups. Higher birthrates could offset preventing smarter women from being scientists and such in a society with strictly divided gender roles.

Different nations will also have a diverse use of livestock, whether for food, labor, or conflict. One nation might ride dragons to war while another may use leviathans for sea power. Another nation might use behemoths for construction or goods moving.

Essentially the player will slowly build up their own unique nation/race, which you can then save for scenarios, in the style of Conquest of Elysium, Endless Legend or Master of Magic races. Those games/companies tend to use premade races that can't change much over time.

MoLAoS

Today I've been working on the research system. As noted in the overview there are several kinds of knowledge gain. The first, simplest, and least interactive is just slowly increasing knowledge based on what your nation does.

Nations that grow a ton of crops slowly become better and better at that. Each population has its own knowledge of crop growing based on the crops it grows. Each nation has a separate value for crop knowledge. This grows based on the agriculture of the whole nation. This knowledge slowly spreads out into the populations owned by the nation, and it can be increased faster by choice. The research system keeps track of scores for individual crops and climates. Part of the reason for a separate population and nation score is to represent various administrative factors. It also opens up the possibility that the population could, if it were so inclined, do worse for conquerors.

Research functions in all areas including industry and magic. Combined with interbreeding of ancient magical races, ambient magic affecting evolution, and other factors, a race with a much stronger innate capability for magical activities could easily develop.

I'll discuss this more and also the other aspects of research and knowledge when I get back from my shitty job.

MoLAoS

A demo is probably a bit premature. Some of the game play is in there but the programmer graphics. My god. I'd turn off more people than I got interested.

Norfleet

I suggest that he actually go and work on what he claims to be working on instead of wasting time making a fake demo video. You'd think after all the previous debacles that you wouldn't fall for that kind of flim-flam fakery by now.

MoLAoS

I suggest that he actually go and work on what he claims to be working on instead of wasting time making a fake demo video. You'd think after all the previous debacles that you wouldn't fall for that kind of flim-flam fakery by now.

Demos are helpful to the imaginationally impaired, 95%+ of humanity, to visualize things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom