Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avernum: Escape from the Pit Released

Johannes

Arcane
Roguey said:
Wunderpurps said:
People, most people who try them probably, think his games are not that good and have gotten much worse.
I was finally motivated enough to try Avernum 6 recently and even though I'm not very far I'm already seeing a lot of improvements over the Exile series (except for the removal of the parry ability, damn it Jeff). I'm disappointed in everyone who told me try Exile first. So at least up until Avadon (haven't tried it; would be very surprised if it's actually worse than Exile) his games were not getting worse.
I'd say Avernum 1-3 are slightly worse than Exiles, in respects other than the UI. In Exile you had more party members, and some little details in the mechanics. A1-3 didn't really bring anything new to the table, just a new character system that was equally boring.

But this new game should be superior to both, the strength of earlier games (big open world) is still there and if the game will otherwise be more like Geneforge 5 or Avernum 6, it will be an improvement easily.

I haven't played Avadon but the main weakness of that game seemed to me be more about linearity than having somehow worse combat than Exile or Avernum. Even if that wasn't the main complaint heard here.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Roguey said:
Yeah it's a skill, but not an ability. I want to be able to tell my fighters to hold their position and ready against an approach and I can't do that anymore. :(
Yeah, I missed it too.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I see. Yeah, this would be much better! Wonder why he took it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom