Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avellone, Ziets, Sawyer, Vincke and Kurvitz on the future of RPGs at Kotaku UK and PC Gamer

Kz3r0

Arcane
Avellone says that he regards customisation elements like ... building your own character from scratch as a modern addition to the formula that he finds personally appealing, but ultimately not “key to [every] RPG. He points to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as an example of a great RPG that doesn’t feature character creation.
:killit:
Chris Avellone is too humble to cite Torment.
By the way I will argue that rolling a character from scratch leads to minimaxing munchkinism, hence players acting out of character or as bona fide psychopaths.
So, get ready, I am gonna say it, having a predefined character from the beginning is more conductive to rolepaying than the alternative.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
New setting and expanding the genre is all fine and dandy, easily preached goals, but i would suggest focusing on providing quality games would be much more important.

As MRY says, RPGs never actually lacked exploration and broadening into new settings. And i can hardly see how a whole genre could ever devolve into something singular and closed in that sense.
One of the fundamental features of human nature is to prefer and like anything new, and sometimes or even often that replaces demands for quality.

As for the quality, thats a much harder thing to achieve and it does require improving mechanics and interaction between core features of the genre as it is now.
All built on top of the most fundamental feature of RPGs - the limits on gameplay content imposed through character abilities - which the player cannot directly override but can and must shape and evolve to succeed.
How much these limits impact the gameplay and how much influence the player skills have is a huge experimentation zone, producing all the different flavors or whole spectrum of RPG games.

Chris isnt right that Witcher 3 didnt have character building. But it was very soft form of shaping one specific character, which didnt really provide much if any limits that would serve as differentiation from a build to build.
It was very superficial but still there, providing some minor differences and effects on the gameplay. All due to demands of target audience - but thats exactly why its an action RPG.
An RPG does not need to have possibility of very different character builds, in a sense of player creating different protagonists - Planescape never did.
But it must have specific limits imposed on gameplay through character abilities, that the player can shape and evolve.

I think DoS provided a very nice evolution of certain aspects of cRPG mechanics and owes its success mostly to those, namely the elemental interaction, and in the case of the first game improved mechanics of how Action Points function. Together they created a visible improvement to the TB system it uses.

Turn Based systems still remain the hallmark of the True RPGs. The golden center of the whole genre spectrum, as these systems invariably keep and strengthen the fundamental feature of all RPGs, - limits on gameplay content provided through character abilities (whichever form they take) - that the player can only shape and evolve, but cannot directly override with his or her own skills.

The story, the narrative, the quests and their resolutions and further consequences of those are indispensable features but instead of just trying to change the flavor of those, more effort should be put into increasing their interaction with fundamental mechanics and vice versa - specifically in terms of quality.

Environment interaction is one feature that is kind of still overlooked and thats certainly a whole space yearning for improvements. DoS did it very nicely, for example. Although it can be made much better still.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
No, the point was that both George and you were wrong. Agreed that RPGs were highly diverse from the very beginning (so George is wrong there), but also that the mainstream RPGs were most of the time fantasy (regardless over your hair-splitting whether they were Tolkienesque or not, which is quite funny as Tolkien wasn't about monster slaying, which was more DND than anything else) and the diversity of options was mostly a niche thing.
Where did I ever say otherwise? I specifically said that high fantasy monster-slaying has always predominated, but that its predominance has increased, rather than decreased, over the years. I'm not sure how that's wrong.

You might have a point that some of the early non-Fantasy RPGs might have been more successful, but I would say what many remember from those days are the fantasy ones again.
Wasteland II raised $3 million based purely on nostalgia. But "what people remember" simply proves my point: contemporary tunnel vision is worse than the broad imagination that people had in the past, and the tunnel vision is so intense that people unconsciously erase contrary evidence from history in order to conform the past to present limitations.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
But was it the Wasteland nostalgia that funded Wasteland 2? Or was Black Isle games nostalgia, and Fargo who's name every RPG gamer recognizes instantly as the first thing that appears during Fallout intro, was well positioned to tap into that.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wasteland succeeded mostly on "nostalgia" for a new Fallout game, true to its roots. And that after the long the age of decline and mass marketization of RPGs into action rpgs with all their superficiality.
That shouldnt be overlooked as a factor for that specific case.

Otherwise, as i said and agreed already, RPG never lacked exploration of different settings. Which turned out to be most profitable and so "remembered" is a result of other issues and factors.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Lots of people who pledged on W2 on the strength of Fallout and never even heard about Wasteland or played it.

eh, ninja'd

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Where did I ever say otherwise? I specifically said that high fantasy monster-slaying has always predominated, but that its predominance has increased, rather than decreased, over the years. I'm not sure how that's wrong.

I disagree that it has increased, it's the same basically

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

From the mid-80s to the early 90s, Origin Systems developed Auto Duel, 2400 A.D., Space Rogue, Savage Empire, and Martian Dreams. SSI developed two Buck Rogers, Roadwar 2000, Star Command, Spelljammer, Al-Qadim, two Dark Sun games, and two Ravenloft games, and Alien Logic. What are the major developers you're thinking of today that are exploring that variety of settings?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In the early 80s almost every programmer who gamed dreamed of one thing, playing Dungeons & Dragons on their computer.

If they could do that, they thought, they were done. It was the holy grail. They still haven't done it yet. AI is nowhere close to being able to replace a DM and other players in a party.

That should still be the goal. Procedurally generated random generation and "emergent gameplay" is a step in the wrong direction when it is lacking the DM.

And AI today is capable of doing some parts of the DM's work. There should be a "drama engine" that looks at what the player is doing, what he has done and then calculates possible events and encounters for the player.

Imagine a roguelike that keeps track of player's character development choices, inventory and state. Then it crafts future maps according to that information, changing them whenever necessary to make the session more memorable. Or sadistically difficult.

AI can do a lot of things that a human designer can't script for. And looking at the more recent literary works of nubsdian, it can soon probably write better prose, too

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love Fallout and I'm excited about Disco Elysium, but this also strikes me as historically wrong. Fallout is just a somewhat more serious incarnation of a setting that was well trodden in cRPGs by the time Fallout came out, with Wasteland an easy example but certainly not the only one (Roadwar 2000, Fountain of Dreams, perhaps 2400 AD to some degree, etc.). The quest design and dialogue trees are at least somewhat reminiscent of Dark Sun, and the skill system is somewhat reminiscent of Wasteland and others. I think it is rightly regarded as one of the greatest games of all time for weaving together systems, setting, art, writing, etc. into something special, but I'm not sure that's "revolutionary" so much as an instance of carefully building upon existing elements.

Marat Sar can speak for himself here, and the question of whether Fallout was truly revolutionary probably deserves its own thread, but...

Before I concede that Fallout wasn’t paricularly innovative, they did one thing that I believe was new: providing massive build based reactivity in the dialogue trees. Basically combining Dark Sun style dialogue with extensive skill/attribute checks (IIRC Wasteland had a couple of social skills but they weren’t very useful). My pre-‘97 knowledge is kind of a hodgepodge, but did anyone else, for example, create a low Intelligence playthrough where the dialogue is very, very different—both what you say and what NPCs say to you? Maybe you’d call this a difference of degree rather than kind. And I don’t want to give short shrift to Dark Sun’s reactivity (more games should really do equipment based reactivity). However, I think Fallout’s blend of dialogue trees with tons of attribute and skill checks was indeed revolutionary. If this is what you mean by blending together systems, I’d say at some point these refinements become more than the sum of their parts.

In addition, Fallout took all of these disparate earlier innovations and synthesized them—sure—and then turned what they had into a philosophy of game design. You don’t need to be an innovator to be revolutionary, you just need to advance the revolution. Wasteland and Dark Sun are to Fallout as Rousseau and Montesquieu are to Robespierre, or Marx is to Lenin; the guys who have the ideas are not always the guys who make those ideas truly work (for a given definition of work). Granted, it’s not the best analogy.

That said, there’s a difference between Dark Sun, where many quests have multiple solutions, and Fallout where they decided going in that every quest must have at least two solutions and should have at least three. That’s not an innovation, but it’s more than just a refinement.

Maybe a better example is rock & roll, a totally derivative form of music that merely synthesized and refined some pre-existing genre conventions, often going so far as to rip off blues songs without crediting or paying the original writers. And yet there’s a point where rock music became revolutionary, and I’d argue that point came before it started getting really experimental.

And, of course, Fallout had a revolutionary impact on the genre, which is why so many people think it’s full of innovations that it didn’t really invent.

I’ll stop here. Hopefully Robert will have some time to explain his view—he’s much better at articulating RPG ideology than anyone else I agree with.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

From the mid-80s to the early 90s, Origin Systems developed Auto Duel, 2400 A.D., Space Rogue, Savage Empire, and Martian Dreams. SSI developed two Buck Rogers, Roadwar 2000, Star Command, Spelljammer, Al-Qadim, two Dark Sun games, and two Ravenloft games, and Alien Logic. What are the major developers you're thinking of today that are exploring that variety of settings?

Almost all of your example were minor games comparable to the likes of Underrail, NEO Scavengers, Expedition: Conquistador, Invisible, Inc., Wasteland 2, the current Shadowrun games, Serpent in the Staglands, Legends of Eisenwald, Dustbowl, Unrest, Dead State...

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
In addition, Fallout took all of these disparate earlier innovations and synthesized them—sure—and then turned what they had into a philosophy of game design. You don’t need to be an innovator to be revolutionary, you just need to advance the revolution. Wasteland and Dark Sun are to Fallout as Rousseau and Montesquieu are to Robespierre, or Marx is to Lenin; the guys who have the ideas are not always the guys who make those ideas truly work (for a given definition of work). Granted, it’s not the best analogy.

This, to me, is the essence of (relative) failure of the Kickstarters from inXile and Obsidian. Every backer had their ideas of what the goals should be, and what the games should be, but it's safe to say most would be happy if they took the best from the past and made a superior version of those games, i.e. standardized all the goodness and added new goodness on top, like Fallout did.
And it's probably a bit rough to generalize, as I'm sure there are individual devs who share this point of view.

As for the analogy, there was an interesting convo today on the shoutbox about which movie was the first true Cyberpunk movie, and a lot of good examples were presented from the 80s (Lawnmower Man, Blade Runner etc.), including books as well, but the process is the same. Every piece of art contributing to the evolution, until the birth of Ghost in the Shell, which imho translates well to what the Black Isle/Bioware/Troika games were in RPG world.[/QUOTE]

Heretic

Cipher
Quite the opposite - Vincke and the furry guy can talk about the future of RPGs, but not Avellone, Sawyer and Ziets - they haven't had a voice in shaping the future of RPGs for a long time, their last projects were just coasting on nostalgia and slightly updated old mechanics.

That's why I mentioned Age of Decadence and Underrail, because those guys did more for the future of RPGs but still the journos keep ignoring them and keep asking irrelevant people what they think about the direction, velocity and the destination of a train as they watch it leaving the station with a new engine driver, new conductors and passengers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Underrail, because those guys did more for the future of RPGs

Come on, really? >_>

I mean, Vince is one thing, he's outspoken and sort of well-known. I could see him being a part of this sort of thing. But this is like "Why are you ignoring this Serbian dude whose only contact with the outside world is a blog post twice a year about his vaporware expansion? Why isn't he MORE FAMOUS???"

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Quite the opposite - Vincke and the furry guy can talk about the future of RPGs, but not Avellone, Sawyer and Ziets - they haven't had a voice in shaping the future of RPGs for a long time

Back the fuck off of my buddy George, you unwashed cunt. Ziets is the new messiah. He might only be the messiah because all the other messiahs turned out to be bald frauds with limp dicks, but he is the messiah nonetheless. Have some respect, fuckhead

Heretic

Cipher
I don't care if Styg is reclusive and unknown, he has more to say about the future of RPGs because he actively influences it.

Unlike Avellone, Sawyer and Ziets. They have made some very good games in the past, for sure, but what have they done in recent years that will shake up the landscape of RPGs? Huh?
Something newer than Fallout New Vegas.
Come on, tell me.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Quite the opposite - Vincke and the furry guy can talk about the future of RPGs, but not Avellone, Sawyer and Ziets - they haven't had a voice in shaping the future of RPGs for a long time

Back the fuck off of my buddy George, you unwashed cunt. Ziets is the new messiah. He might only be the messiah because all the other messiahs turned out to be bald frauds with limp dicks, but he is the messiah nonetheless. Have some respect, fuckhead

So how is George's dick then, huh?

deuxhero

Arcane
went all over the place in terms of settings (Tolkien fantasy, Arthurian legend, Greek myth, "Orientalist" Asia and "deepest darkest" Africa and America, cyberpunk, mech warrior, hodge-podge fantasy, space opera)

Can you please tell me what early crpgs you are reffering to in the bold?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's why I mentioned Age of Decadence and Underrail, because those guys did more for the future of RPGs
What is there in those two games which are innovative and push the genre forward? They are great/good old-school RPGs, but they don't bring anything new to the table.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

So how is George's dick then, huh?

Bigger than yours.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The last (and only) good game that Ziets had a major involvement in was released more than a decade ago. It's weird that people here still haven't written him off as a one hit wonder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom