Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avadon: The Black Fortress hands-on

Let's start this thing off with some lulzy quotes:
Jeff Vogel has always known how to weave an intriguing tapestry of epic questing and immersive atmosphere along with a compelling story, characters and dialogue.
When you go on a mission you are allowed to pick one or two available teammates to come along with you in a way that reminded me of Mass Effect (which is a good thing).

Release date:
We'll be seeing Avadon: The Black Fortress in early 2011.

Screens:
Avadon_003_large.jpg

Avadon_009_large.jpg

Link:
http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/ ... 266&Page=1

Shit or not shit ?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks to me like Avernum v3.0

Guess Geneforge was too much work.

oscar

Arcane
Portraits are lovely and charming. It's telling that these are a thousand times better then the ones from the Dragon Age 2 preview.

1257683832_fwp2jk.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"There are handy points on the map and edge of the screen pointing you in the direction you need to go"

Pass, popamole shit, etc.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
As with all Spiderweb games everything is in real time except for when you enter combat mode at which point it goes turn-based.

Skipping over the reviewer's ignorance, this seems to indicate it will be using the Geneforge "real time outside of combat" system, instead of the Avernum "Roguelike turnbased outside of combat" system.

Fuck, everything I hear about this game gets worse and worse.

made

Arcane
Looks really good in fact. Could use a better UI font and darker inventory icon background though.

Looking forward to the demo.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I hope the red cape is removable. Looks too much like Quest for Glory MC to be taken seriously.

Also, what is happening on the second shot ? Everything is microscopic...what are those purple...things ? Are they transparent or just seem to blend in ? Is that magic fx or ghosts ? I have no idea.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
JarlFrank said:
The graphics don't look like vomit. That's... unexpected.

Yeah.
It dose not look great, but it dose not make my eyes vomit in the same way most Indy rpg games do.

Colour me Intrigued

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Actually guys, it looks like Geneforge 5 with better portraits and you're all graphic whores.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Holy shit, the graphics look half way decent now.

Now port all the series into this new engine.
profit!

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So Vogel is able to release two games during the whole development period of Age of Decadence (I'm assuming we won't see aod in early 2011)?

Age of Decadence will be worth 5 games of Jeff Vogel. Kinda like in old times where one white man was worth 10 black men.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks pretty good and the story actually seems rather decent. I'm also wondering if the castle works like a sort of hub from which missions are dispensed. If so, it might be a fun mechanic. Looking forward to it.

7hm

Scholar
SimpleComplexity said:
Age of Decadence will be worth 5 games of Jeff Vogel. Kinda like in old times where one white man was worth 10 black men.

That's about how many more games Vogel will release before AoD comes out, yes?

The graphics look good. Gameplay... I'll judge it myself. The Geneforge and Avernum series weren't Exile but they were fun.

Linden

Arcane
That looks... almost exactly like Geneforge 5. Kind of disappointing. I wasn't really hoping for better graphics, but I think Jeff could have made something a little more distinct. Something different from what we've seen before. If Avadon is going to take place in a whole new universe, then why does everything from the walls to the shrubbery look exactly like in Geneforge?

The sad truth is that Jeff's graphics have gotten more and more bland ever since Exile 3... :(

ElectricOtter

It could be a fun ARPG. I hope. But hey, the graphics look pretty nice :thumbsup:

Radisshu

Prophet
It looks incredibly generic... But I guess you if like Avernum you're going to like this.

Also, WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE QUALITY OF GRAPHIS? IN A JEFF VOGEL GAME?=!=!=?!#?KÄFmölsfnksg ghdh :retarded:

ElectricOtter

Radisshu said:
It looks incredibly generic... But I guess you if like Avernum you're going to like this.
Nigga plz. Avernum was so different as far as gameplay goes it's not even funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom