Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon out on May 2nd

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Spiderweb Software

<p>A little birdy (aka press release) told us that the PC version of <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html" target="_blank"><strong>Avadon</strong></a> will drop this Monday.</p>
<blockquote>On May 2nd, 2011 Spiderweb Software (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com) will bring Avadon: The Black Fortress to the Windows platform. This epic 40 hour RPG will place you in a new setting from the creators of the fantastic worlds of Avernum, Exile, and Geneforge.&nbsp; <br /><br />As a Hand of Avadon, ruthless and efficient enforcers of peace, your missions will take you to the 5 lands of The Pact and beyond. Battle those who seek to disrupt peace in the land while dealing with spies and assassins who wish to use the power of Avadon for their own gain. As your comrades are picked off one by one it will be up to one stalwart Hand to steady the scales of justice.&nbsp; <br /><br />Avadon: The Black Fortress features a full 40 hour RPG experience with four unique classes and dozens of skills and spells to develop. Learn the unique history of the five lands of The Pact and make important decisions on your journey that will reveal one of many endings.&nbsp; Discover new quests, secrets dungeons, magical items, and epic battles, everything you would expect from a Spiderweb Software RPG!</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

ElectricOtter

rage ENGAGED :x

Eh, it will probably still be better than Skyrim. I hope Avadon 2 will take a turn for the better. :optimism:

Saxon1974

Prophet
What are main complaints from the codex about this game? The setting being too generica high fantasy?

I thought the codex liked the Vogel games.

And do you think it will have walking animations? :D

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I know I'm in for a major disappointment, but I'm still going to buy Avadon. I enjoyed Vogel's previous games, so I'd like to support him even if this particular game isn't among his best.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Crooked Bee said:
I know I'm in for a major disappointment, but I'm still going to buy Avadon. I enjoyed Vogel's previous games, so I'd like to support him even if this particular game isn't among his best.

What makes you think you wont like this game?

Coyote

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
Crooked Bee said:

Don't know about Crooked Bee, but from previous comments, previews, etc., it sounds like a dumbed-down version of Avernum with more linearity and a very generic fantasy setting. You know how Vogel's always praising Bioware design in his blog posts? From what some people have said, it seems as though he took the opportunity with this new IP to finally try and implement elements of it in his own games.

I'll try the demo before giving up on it completely, but given that I've always preferred the Geneforge games and it seems to have very few of the elements I liked from them, I don't have high hopes for it.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Coyote said:
Saxon1974 said:
Crooked Bee said:

Don't know about Crooked Bee, but from previous comments, previews, etc., it sounds like a dumbed-down version of Avernum with more linearity and a very generic fantasy setting. You know how Vogel's always praising Bioware design in his blog posts? From what some people have said, it seems as though he took the opportunity with this new IP to finally try and implement elements of it in his own games.

I'll try the demo before giving up on it completely, but given that I've always preferred the Geneforge games and it seems to have very few of the elements I liked from them, I don't have high hopes for it.

Ah thanks for the info. I was hoping for an Avernum type game with improved graphics and walking animation...If its dumbed down and linear i'll pass. I'll try and demo though.

Gondolin

Arcane
Excidium said:
Where is the pc demo? :x

The demo is probably inside the full game, as usually. You play the game normally and at some point it tells you that you've reached the end of the demo area and that you must pay to play the rest of the game.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Saxon1974 said:
Crooked Bee said:

What Coyote said, yup. I'm still willing to give it a chance though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Played for a while, it's a decent game. I don't like the diablo-style character development much though.

Seems very "RPG-Lite" from what I saw. Didn't see many instances where dialog or npc reactions would vary based on my character class which is pretty disappointing, not being able to choose the character's nation kind of killed a lot of opportunities for that. And nobody cared that I ran around stealing everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom