Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon 3: The Warborn Released

Heretic

Cipher
Looks like people are growing tired of the stale Spiderweb formula. I know I am.

According to Steamspy, each new game in the Avadon series has sold an order of magnitude fewer copies.

Avadon 1: 220,000
Avadon 2: 60,000
Avadon 3: 2,000

The nostalgia from 2011 has worn off.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I distinctly remember him going bonkers about a thread here concerning Avadon 1. Part of his rant was about me being disappointed with his world map. A world map is where you present the player with a gameworld. If it looks boring and artificial then I as a player know the maker of the game didn't really spend much thought and energy in bringing his gameworld alive. Avadon's worldmap was a perfect example of that. Just compare it to the Geneforge or Avernum ones.

Fry

Arcane
Take a look at the Avernum remakes. Avadon 1 is a sales outlier.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Looks like people are growing tired of the stale Spiderweb formula. I know I am.

According to Steamspy, each new game in the Avadon series has sold an order of magnitude fewer copies.

Avadon 1 also has had 5 years of sales and it has been bundled.

Heretic

Cipher
Sure, but still, to sell two thousand copies on release is a bad result and shows a downward trend.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Problem is he develops niche games marketed towards the very people who know his games aren't that good. You're not going to fool most hardcore crpg gamers. Especially now with stuff like Age of Decadence out. And it's not like this appeals to the Skyrim crowd.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Sure, but still, to sell two thousand copies on release is a bad result and shows a downward trend.
Per Steamcharts, which, as I've written elsewhere, is much better than Steamspy for such comparisons:

- In its first month of release, Avadon 1's highest concurrent player count was 70.
- Avadon 2's was 142.
- Avadon 3 has already hit 130, and will probably wind up higher.

So I don't think you can really infer much. Time may vindicate your views, but first blush is that Avadon 3's launch is fine. It does look like Avadon has had a longer/thicker tail than Avadon 2, but it's hard to say -- Avadon 1 may have been more aggressively discounted/bundled, for example. Generally I would expect the first game in a series like that to be the highest performing, since some people will jump off if they don't like it. I didn't make it through any Spiderweb series, but I played some games in all of them up until the most recent iteration.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Why noone mentions that with Vitality system reworked game became much more fun?

Doktor Best

Arcane
I also dont understand it.

He makes game much better than Dragon Age and he talks about that game being his inspiration?

Whats wrong with him.
Its a PR stunt. Dragon Age = huge fanbase. He wants a piece of its cake.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

A lot of this has to do with the fact that Avadon was released pre-Greenlight, and the others weren't. To mix metaphors, a few years ago, getting approved by Valve was like winning the lottery, but once they opened the floodgates, the free rides ended.

Those Avadon 3 sales are still comparable to what he was selling before Steam, so he's fine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Urbanolo

Augur
Jeff has said that he can live on 6000 full price copies sold per game: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...gel-soapbox-thread.91814/page-10#post-4118703
avernum 2 crystal souls already sold like 75000 - 80000 copies. even at it's lowest recorded price (8 dollars) that's like 640k

http://steamspy.com/app/337850

Wow, that $10 Summer Sale was super effective.

It wasn't the summer sale, the steam keys are sold for 3PLN (about 70 euro cents) at polish e-bay. I guess most people got the game from those sources.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Guy, that's just not necessarily true at all. We're talking about a weird niche here so gtfo with your absolute certainty.

2000 copies sold is pretty decent. Here' let's do some math: 2000 copies is 36000€ (18€ per copy due to the new release discount). Valve's cut is about 30% so we'll reduce that from the initial amount, which means that Vogel ends up with 25200€, give or take a few k. Since he tries to make games as cheap as possible you can deduce a few ks more for commissioned art and music, but most of that money that Vogel ended up with is going directly into his pocket. 252k€ is not bad. Plus he'll make more as time goes on and the game gets bundled and discounted.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That comes out as less than €2100 a month if we assume Avadon 3 is a year's work. Without taxes. With a house and family. Not much to live on.

Sure, the guy has a steady income through bundles, odd jobs, sales and so on. Still, I don't see these diminishing returns paint a good picture for his continued existence as a dev. Unless his next project is a hit again, that is. Somehow I doubt that, as the formula has grown more stale with each release and I don't really see the guy breaking into new territory.

All that said though, anyone actually played Avadon 3 enough for an informed opinion here? I wonder how it is as a typical Vogel game.

Sizzle

Arcane
All that said though, anyone actually played Avadon 3 enough for an informed opinion here? I wonder how it is as a typical Vogel game.

It's much better than the second one (which, like I said earlier, is probably his weakest game). After two games of playing catch up to the enemy, you're finally taking a more pro-active stance in the war and bringing the fight to them. The politics are also a bit more interesting this time around (a conflict between the former Keeper, Redbeard, and the acting Keeper). A couple of NPCs from previous games return (Nathalie and Khalida), and there's no flimsy attempt at BioWareian romance like in A2.

Besides that, it's mostly the same - the quests are ok, the fights are unchanged. If you've liked the previous two at least a little, odds are you'll like this one as well.

Johannes

Arcane

It's much better than the second one (which, like I said earlier, is probably his weakest game). After two games of playing catch up to the enemy, you're finally taking a more pro-active stance in the war and bringing the fight to them. The politics are also a bit more interesting this time around (a conflict between the former Keeper, Redbeard, and the acting Keeper). A couple of NPCs from previous games return (Nathalie and Khalida), and there's no flimsy attempt at BioWareian romance like in A2.

Besides that, it's mostly the same - the quests are ok, the fights are unchanged. If you've liked the previous two at least a little, odds are you'll like this one as well.
I read that he wanted to lessen the amount of trash fights and/or make the fights more interesting, how much is that true? Or is the combat how comparable to his previous games? Is there HP bloat in the higher difficulties now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom