Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon 3: The Warborn Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Avadon 3: The Warborn; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

Today sees the release of Avadon 3: The Warborn, the final chapter of Jeff Vogel's Avadon trilogy. The first two Avadon games were not very well-received on the Codex. The series as a whole is regarded as an ill-considered attempt to pander to the "BioWare audience", a serious decline in quality after the imaginative Geneforge series. When Jeff officially announced Avadon 3 back in May, he also took the time to post his thoughts about the Avadon series as a whole. Since we've already seen the game's trailer and description, I thought I'd quote some of that here:

What Is Avadon About?

If you want the basic facts of the story, they are on the main game page, and I'm tired of rewriting it. (This is the sort of disciplined approach to PR that has enable me to maintain decades of consistent anonymity.)

I'm more interested in talking about the process.

In the 20+ years I've been doing this, I've always had one main habit: I write the sort of game I enjoy playing. They are always RPGs, because I am obsessed with that genre. It's a genre that allows for great variety. (And the basic, addictive elements of which have infected just about every other genre.)

Whenever I'm not sure what to do with a game, I always make the choice I would prefer if I was a player. It's a compass that has almost never steered me wrong.

When I decided to write Avadon, I'd just played Dragon Age: Origins, which is still, for my money, one of the finest RRPGs every made. It made me want to write a similar game: An epic story, full of intrigue, dark fantasy, and touch choices, set in a huge and complex world. I wanted the battles to have their own flavor, with lots of different tactical options and unexpected events, and in which movement and positioning are really important.

I think I succeeded. Kind of. I will say that I enjoy playing Avadon games more than I enjoy playing any of my other games. A lot of my fans don't care for Avadon as much, but that's ok. We write a lot of different sorts of RPGs.

But I'm Ready To Move On and Feel Bad About What Has Come Before

Like many creators, I hate looking at the work I've done. Even if it's good, it still pales in comparison to the beautiful image I had in my mind when I began. Looking at the final work can be a painful process.

A painful process, but a helpful one. When you fail to do what you wanted to do, well, failure can be very educational. You just need to look hard and honest at you failures and see what you can do to correct them.

So, some things I'm unhappy with about the Avadon series.

When I was designing Avadon, I was very ambitious. Lynaeus, the continent on which the series takes place, has 5 friendly nations and six hostile nations, each of which has its own politics, history, and so on. I wanted to make a whole world.

In the end, however, I was just one designer.

There are so many factions, wings of government, conflicts, controversies ... Too much for me to keep track of, too much to fully develop. I wrote so much lore I could never find a place to fit into the game. There were so many locations I just wasn't able to give enough time to.

My eyes were bigger than my stomach on this one.

Also, i didn't put as much polish in these games as I should. Avadon 3 will have a lot of careful rebalancing and useful interface improvements. However, these changes should have been in Avadon 2. Honestly, a lot of these things should have been in Avadon 1 so I didn't have to fix them in the first place.

I have a good excuse for some of this. I'm only one person, and I'm getting older and slower. Still, a problem is a problem, and, if I'm asking people for money, I'm still responsible for flaws.

Finally, I've stuck with this particular engine, graphics style, and world style for too long. After I remaster Avernum 3 (our most popular game over the years), I'm going to do something way different. It's well past time.
Maybe Jeff has a future in this genre after all. For now, though, Avadon 3: The Warborn is available on Steam and GOG for $20, with a 10% launch discount until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Lets hope he manages one last hurrah, before he packs it in

fingers crossed for science fiction

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Finally, I've stuck with this particular engine, graphics style, and world style for too long. After I remaster Avernum 3 (our most popular game over the years), I'm going to do something way different. It's well past time.
Pic of new engine from Vogel's twitter feed.
chad_choices.png

:smug:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Jeff 'Autismal as fuck' Vogel said:
When I was designing Avadon, I was very ambitious. Lynaeus, the continent on which the series takes place, has 5 friendly nations and six hostile nations, each of which has its own politics, history, and so on. I wanted to make a whole world.

In the end, however, I was just one designer.

There are so many factions, wings of government, conflicts, controversies ... Too much for me to keep track of, too much to fully develop. I wrote so much lore I could never find a place to fit into the game. There were so many locations I just wasn't able to give enough time to.
retard

Heretic

Cipher
I'd just played Dragon Age: Origins, which is still, for my money, one of the finest RRPGs every made.
Jeff should play one of the old-school revival games to see what is missing in his games.

Underrail, Age of Decadence, Lords of Xulima, Balrum... games with similar graphical fidelity to Spiderweb's games, with very interesting game systems.
Even the so called "old-school" low budget RPGs have gone through quite an evolution in the last years.

Last edited by a moderator:

duanth123

Arcane
Dragon Age: Origins, which is still, for my money, one of the finest RRPGs every made.
:M

At least he finally admitted he fucked up.

Also, i didn't put as much polish in these games as I should.

I have a good excuse for some of this. I'm only one person, and I'm getting older and slower.

Although he still writes his blog like an obnoxious bit character in one of his own games.

There's no excuse for fucking greed trumping quality.

You act like you wanted DA:O because it was some work of art, but the reality is you wanted money and a greater profile in the industry, not necessarily in that order.

And you didn't fucking listen, sacrificing the unique identity of your own work in the process.

almondblight

Arcane
I'd like to see a panel discussion/debate with various indie RPG developers - Vogel, VD, Whalenought, Styg, etc. It'd be a hell of a lot more interesting than the Fargo interview the Codex is crying about.

Sizzle

Arcane
Heh. Avadon 3 even has a lesbian couple (and the PC can ask one of them: "Do you ever think you will marry?").

Apart from that, it's better than part two (which, with its tacked-on romance, was really a low point for Spiderweb's games), and it has a couple of nice new engine tweaks.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
while i don't hate avadon, i still agree, it is the weakest series of spidweb library. geneforge is 9/10, avernum (at least the latest remake of 1 and 2, the ones which i have played. i have 4-6 in my library, but i will wait for ruined world before playing 4-6) is like 8/10.

avadon is 7/10. i still think they are pretty decent game, just you can see vogel trying to do a new thing, but steering at the wrong direction. it had potential, but eventually we got what we got.

haven't got the chance trying nethergate either. i just have it stiing in my backlog.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
He needs to redo Geneforge. Cuz that bright green UI is so damn ugly.

Then you're in luck. He said in his AMA that he will remake the Geneforge series 3 years from now.

Geneforge always rubbed me the wrong way with its emphasis on pet/ party customization but little character customization

Anyway I bought Avadon 3 on day 1 and I'm now planning on playing the entire series

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Bought this game.

Combat is much better now, trash fights go smoother since you dont auto-attack 99% time to save vitality. You can use skills each fight.

Mustawd

There's a geneforge UI mod right here on the Codex. It's all you'll need really.

Thanks, but backlog is long enough where I'll just wait for the remake. I think I'm one of the few codexers who's glad he's decided to milk his old games and remake them.

I just don't think he has anything left in the creative tank. Not trying to be edgy, but it just seems that way to me.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks, but backlog is long enough where I'll just wait for the remake.
Suit yourself, but remakes sometimes removes the good parts. Though I haven't had much experience with Vogel's other offerings.

Mustawd

I think most of the changrs to Avernum were mostly cosmetic. Although, the new version did seem to have a better economy and less trash mobs. He also added a tutorial level, which I thought didn't really fit, but it was a minor annoyance.

Really, the only negative change I can recall from Escape from the Pit was that the tablet version did not allow you to close doors. Apparently Vogel couldn't find a way to code it in. I felt like it really took away from some of the aspects of the original Avernum.

That being said, one can argue that the biggest changes were already made when he went from the Exile games to the Avernum games. In that case he changed the six man part to a four man party. That and he remade the entire look of the game to an isometric view.

At the end of the day, if the changes made to his other games are too much, I can always go back and play the older ones :)

Damn, not sure if I should give this a shot. Couldn't bring myself to play Avadon 1 because I felt there's no way he would make its plot themes as moving as they could be. His fast writing style is a limitation of huge potential IMHO.

Dragon Age: Origins, which is still, for my money, one of the finest RRPGs every made.
:M

At least he finally admitted he fucked up.

Also, i didn't put as much polish in these games as I should.

I have a good excuse for some of this. I'm only one person, and I'm getting older and slower.

Although he still writes his blog like an obnoxious bit character in one of his own games.

There's no excuse for fucking greed trumping quality.

You act like you wanted DA:O because it was some work of art, but the reality is you wanted money and a greater profile in the industry, not necessarily in that order.

And you didn't fucking listen, sacrificing the unique identity of your own work in the process.

He, allegedly, barely makes any money. It's 100-150k profit in a good year, from what I remember. Are you speaking of his first decision to make Avadon 1 as a turning point? Maybe that's possible but I haven't played it enough. Avadon seems like a good idea but given to the B-movie Hollywood Director for quick cash. Ultimately, however, the fact that he even releases games is a monumental achievement. His free demos and DRM-free sales are also good-natured even if unaltruistic.

If you think he's bad now, just wait until his kid decides to change majors 4 times in college, which he'll pay for. Art vs. money will be in full swing at that point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom