Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Autism and Role Playing Games

BrowserMaster

Literate
Greets all. I'm an Autism Parent and a long time old school Game Master, writer and coder.

I want to share what how reading and writing is a great way to open up the minds of children and adults allowing them to better express themselves as a knight, warrior, etc. I wrote this awhile ago about how role-playing opens a whole new world in being able to write and socialize. The content is still very relevant. Maybe you know someone on the spectrum or their parent(s) who can benefit: see article.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
What is thread. What do you want? Tell me.
Is this a discussion of sorts?
I do not understand.
Please enlighten.

BrowserMaster

Literate
About how RPGs help some on the autism spectrum. I am an autism parent of 3 and sharing my experience. If you have experience in this area as well please do let us know about it.

hello friend

Arcane
My experience is mostly of having fun. It's a social activity that offers something interesting to do. Cooperative problemsolving, with a bit of amateur theatre thrown in. If there's no activity to distract somewhat you'll be feeling all the stress in your body, and a lot of non-spergy games are boring as hell, relying heavily on pure RNG. I believe that the best thing an autist can do is get out of their head and reconnect to their body, some behavioural stuff will fall into place on it's own that way. Natural like. But many spergs will be unwilling or unable to do so, if they're too fucked up. In which case P&P roleplaying would be good for prototyping behaviour.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I saw this thread and immediately knew it was going to turn into a car crash.

Not sure if OP did any research on this board before posting this.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God damn, this has the makings of such a quality meme account, though it seems like the poster is serious. If so, good luck on this forum.

As for a post that's on topic, my mother is an ABA and regularly works with children that are on the spectrum and/or have forms of mental retardation as well as other disabilities. I've interacted with a lot of her "clients" I guess you can call them, and it's an extremely difficult job so I salute you and your cause. I'll read through the article and show my mom, perhaps she'll find something interesting.

ortucis

Prophet
I want to share what how reading and writing is a great way to open up the minds of children and adults allowing them to better express themselves as a knight, warrior, etc.

How do you explain Codex then?

Anyway, wasn't there a recent study where they created games to help autistic kids understand emotion better? Sounds like games can help with a lot of development issues (and then ruin it by being addictive).

Andhaira

Arcane
BrowserMaster First, great user name. Have to keep in mind for future alts.

Second, who is responsible for your children having autism? Was it your mutated sperm or your partners flawed, rotten egg that caused THREE! of your kids to be born retards?

Third, which rpgs do you enjoy playing with your kids? (I'm not giving you page views on your tumblr yet, you have to earn my attention)

Finaly, once your kids grow up enough put them into martial arts school/MMA school and get them to hit the gym. Physical activity will do wonders to drive away the tardness and the MA skills/confidence will come in handy when they get bullied for being into nerdy things like rpgs.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
BrowserMaster

Second, who is responsible for your children having autism? Was it your mutated sperm or your partners flawed, rotten egg that caused THREE! of your kids to be born retards?
What proof do you have they are not aspergers?
Even though a lot of conditions are labelled autism nowadays, it ethymolically refers to lack of empathy, not retardation.
Actually, using RPG to train autists to try to think as someone else is interesting, but don't they just project themselves in their character? A lot of TT RPG players play the same kind of character every time.

Last edited:

Lurker47

Savant
Actually, using RPG to train autists to try to think as someone else is interesting, but don't they just project themselves in their character? A lot of TT RPG players play the same kind of character every time.
It's basically a social training simulation.

Incendax

Augur
I have Autism, and Tabletop Roleplaying has been incredibly helpful for me. I find it almost impossible to read social situations, but roleplaying offers me a safe place to learn social cause and effect. I now have a much better grasp on what to say or not say in a conversation to get the reaction I desire, which has helped me find jobs and interact with my peers. I cannot recommend roleplaying games enough for anyone on the spectrum.

This is assuming your group are not a bunch of pure combatfags.
(Obligatory Codex terminology.)

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe you know someone on the spectrum

hqdefault.jpg

Mustawd

I saw this thread and immediately knew it was going to turn into a car crash.

I read the last bit as “car wash” and was thoroughly confused for a second there.

But yeah, this is some low effort trolling, but, meh, what else is there to do?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Just realized the tag haha. Also, where the fuck did the posts go that insulted the OP for having three autistic kids? Did the mods really move that shit or delete them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom