Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive AURORA: The Great Game - Gauging interest

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Quick links for players:

Technical details of all major bodies in the Sol system
Map of the Sol system, along with detailed information on all currently colonizable bodies
Short guide to Espionage
Research and you - how does it work?
Different types of weapons explained
Various types of missile defence illustrated by talking heads
The starting TECH TREE explained
Maintenance for dummies
All the different methods of production
Sensors and their usage
Shipyards and their complex tasks

So, in a moment of madness, I've decided that I want to waste my free time and start running a community game of Aurora.

How it would work? Well, sort of similar to what the Barbarian (and others) have had in their community games, except not by voting. As the beginning of a normal game of Aurora is quite uneventful, there would be little sense in voting about anything. Instead, encouraged by the excellent fiction written by some Aurora gamers and the fairly successful community game running on their forums, I wanted to try the same.

Firstly, I'll be the GM/SM and the only one with actual game files at hand. I won't participate in the game itself, except for creating the starting premise and then being a referee and perhaps nudging the game toward more interesting directions - like hand-crafting solar systems and perhaps playing an alien Empire. Most in-game events will be handled by the mechanics of Aurora itself aside from special cases in which I'll roll a dice and/or use my judgement.

Secondly, all players wanting to join will take on the role of El Presidente/God-Emperor of a certain Earth country or power-bloc. They will receive a dossier from me that gives them all the required information about their nation - the economic situation, the military forces, researchers and so on. This will be for their eyes-only. Players can then formulate their long-term plans for industry and research, which they will PM to me.

Thirdly, players will also take the role of the Military High Command of the same state. In this role, they will design what sort of units and ships they want built, write a Standard Operating Procedure manual for their own forces and generate strategic plans for operations. They will not be able to micro-manage individual ships or brigades in action. So they can order "70% of ground forces to attack my enemy, attack to be ceased after taking 35% casualties or victory" but not "HMS Victorious will fire two missiles on KMS Hamburg before withdrawing". I'll post an example of a SOP book later. Players will PM their versions to me.

Fourthly, players would be expected to write "year in review" or similar "news" casts, though the amount of information they decide to uncover to other players (and the forum in general) is naturally up to them. They can lie as much as they want. Players can instigate espionage missions against each other and these are not resolved through Aurora mechanics, as they are somewhat lacking. The number of available missions will be revealed later but expect anything that is possible in Aurora and most things that are possible IRL to be in. Players will need to establish a counter-intelligence team inside their own country and the rating of that team is then checked against any hostile intelligence teams with dice rolling deciding the fact. Finally, I will publish an annual "CIA World Fact Book", that details the generally available public information of each country, though slightly obsolete. It will include the rough size of industry and shipyards and research facilities, rough estimate on the sizes of armies and fleets, public stellar information about asteroids, other star systems and jump portals/gates.

Fifthly, diplomacy will be handled entirely outside of Aurora mechanics. Players should not waste talent in diplomatic missions to each other, as such things will be handled entirely by the players themselves. Players can donate ships (but not army units), general technology (but not specific weapon research as the research cost also depicts the necessary industrial tooling for building them), individual equipment (ie few hundred advanced missiles or engines), TN minerals that hey have in storage (but not future production as that would be too much of an hassle for me) and loan out expert teams (geology or intelligence ONLY). In addition to these in-game things, players are of course free to create any sort of alliances or non-aggression pacts between them or share information about anything that they know (or want to lie about). Diplomacy is thus a meta-game that players are encouraged to run through PM's or whatever. Only requirement is that the GM/SM, meaning me, must be informed of any deals. Both (or all if multiple) participants need to PM me with what they have agreed upon.

Sixthly, turns will be monthly ones with exceptions for exceptional events like war breaking out or Priority One messages to leadership from the field. Communications to the ships will be handled as per Einsteinian physics, so either physical jump gates or courier ships will be required at JP's to facilitate communications. Light-speed delay will be factored in if it ever matters. Special daily turns will be played during any crisis moments but again, players are supreme leaders, not tactical or operative commanders. I will run your underlings as per their personal traits and the SOP-books you write.

In the next post I'll write the nations/blocs available and example of a SOP-book.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
This is shamelessly stolen from Aurora forums, by poster named sublight.

Hypothetical Empire Response List:

Condition #1: gravsurvey ship completes gravitation survey.
If: ship has at least 55% fuel and 75% remaining maintenance supplies
Then order ship through nearest unexplored jump point in system or adjacent system.
Else: Order ship home for overhaul and refueling.

Condition #2: Neutral ship approaches with 10 million km of home world.
SOP: Order ship to turn back, opening missile fire if it stubbornly approaches within 1 million km.

Condition #3: An opponent issues an ultimatum on any issue.
If ultimatum is an order for a survey ship to turn back
Then: Order survey vessel to new destination.
Else: Call Emergency Council Meeting

Condition #4: When Sir Bob completes his research project queue
Then have Ema start research on 15cm lasers using Bob's former labs.

Condition #5: Jump Point Missile boat picket detect hostile unit.
If unit is noted as a suspected survey ship in intelligence notes:
Then: SOP: Fire single missile volleys until ship slows less than half missile boat speed. Close to finish off with point defense battery.
Else: SOP: detach one missile boat to follow hostile from 500k km range.

Condition #6: Any hostile unit, no matter how small, opens fire.
Then: Have any units in missile range return fire, and call Emergency Council Meeting (send game save for review)

Condition #7: Missile boats have less than 50% ammunition after engagement.
SOP: Dispatch missile resupply collier to bring ordinance to task group. Order collier to return to home world afterwards.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Countries / power-blocs available for players at this stage

Not in any particular order of power or prestige or anything:
  • None
If there are more interested players, I can create more blocs or dismantle existing ones to smaller pieces. I went with Commonwealth so as to avoid EU being too powerful and the other three are sit sad individually but too powerful if combined with USA - which might be more realistic than the re-emergence of British Empire but meh. Russia is only modern Russia, not Soviet Union.

Wealth generation will be standardised by whichever bloc has the highest GDP per population - they will have 100% wealth generation rate in Aurora and others will have smaller, per the difference in GDP. So if USA has GDP 5000 and EU has 4500, then in-game USA will have 100% economy and EU will have a 90% economy. This will prevent population-rich but poor/backwards countries/blocs from steamrolling other powers. Same process will be done for conventional industry and the number of research facilities. These numbers will be taken from Wikipedia for population and GDP-PPP, using latest possible data. OECD Main Technology and Research Indicators will be used to determine the amount of research facilities available for each country in the beginning and augmented by Nationmaster.org data on scientific/research personnel, especially for non-OECD countries.

Each bloc will have their currently existing number of ICBM silos that depict their ability for nuclear exchange even if in reality they do not have nuclear missiles. So in this case EU would have a handful of silos representing the French nuclear-armed bombers while AU and Brazil wouldn't have a single one. However, the technological basis for Aurora expects all nations to be nuclear-capable. IAEI is thus dismissed and all countries can build ICBM silos from the beginning.

Land armies will be slightly reduced from actual numbers because otherwise I'll spend two days creating and renaming them. Some units might be combined, others dismissed and other buffed up, as Aurora only recognizes low-tech infantry divisions and low-tech armour divisions.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Further rules, examples and turn order explanation

1. Game begins. I send out initial information packets and write a public initial post for all to read.
  2. Each player issues their initial industrial, research and military orders and their initial SOP-book to me through PM.
  3. I process these orders into Aurora and execute a week long time jump.
  4. After one week of game time, I will send summaries of events to all players and write a short "Status of the world" AAR depicting public events, for example the building of a space ship yard.
  5. Each players issues further industrial, research and military orders - if necessary and PM them to me.
  6. Jump to point 3.
  7. After a full year (in-game) has passed, I will write a new "World Fact Book" that portrays current global situation. All players should write a more detailed "My Country Report" where they reveal what they want of their country.
Space combat resolution

1. Fleets, task forces, task groups and flotillas will firstly act based on their general orders issued by player, secondly based on their nation's SOP-book and thirdly based on their leading officers personality traits. For example, a cowardly leader will not charge an enemy that appears superior and a lazy commander will not follow SOP to the letter - unless they have a better superior officer riding herd on them. All ship orders will be processed simultaneously, with the game resolving them through "Fleet Initiative" and game mechanics.
  2. Commanders will issue further orders as combat evolves based again on their SOP-book and personality.
  3. Information about any engagement will reach Earth based on light-speed lag. This means that short engagements far from Earth will be over before players learn of them.
  4. Players whose ships are taking part in a conflict are asked to provide additional orders through PMs. These orders will be relayed to the ships in question, again taking light-speed lag into consideration. Thus micromanagement in Sol system will be extremely difficult and completely impossible outside Sol.
  5. Players who have sensors in-range of any conflict, can issue high priority orders to their forces at this point.
  6. Each side of the engagement will receive only that level of information that was available to their sensors during the conflict. If other players have sensor that could observe the conflict, they will learn something as well.
  7. I will ask all participant players to write a short PR notice of any conflict that will be published in international media afterwards. Players do not need to write anything if they prefer to keep a lid on events.
Land combat resolution
  1. Land combat takes much longer than space combat, thus it is resolved on a daily basis.
  2. Other than that, it follows the same rules.
  3. Media coverage of any land war, however, is much more prevalent. Thus I will write an media report of any ground combat immediately afterwards, though participating players are of course encouraged to put their own propaganda out.
Important: I will give players a short time window in which to respond to critical matters. If they are unable to respond, no matter what the reason, I'll LARP that their underlings are unable to reach them for some reason ("drunk with a mistress" "in hospital having their kidneys repaired") and follow the SOP-book and character traits of their planetary/sector governors who are assumed to be 2nd-in-command people. Exact length of this time window will probably be between 12 and 24 real-life hours. Otherwise even a small conflict waged in Sol could drag out for weeks of real time.

Example of a conflict, resolved on several levels

Brazil is the first country to field a space ship. The ship finds valuable Trans-Newtonian minerals on Mars. All players scramble to take advantage of said minerals. Brazil is the first one to establish a colony, purely civilian mining operation. Soon, China follows suit but their colony is protected by a full division of Heavy Assault troops. Before Brazil gets her military fleet in position, India is the third country to establish a mining colony on Mars. These events all transpire over a period of two months.

At that point, Brazil and China make a secret alliance; in which Brazilian ships will establish a blockade around Mars and Chinese troops will capture the Indian colony - the two nations then will divide any loot and prevent any other power from colonized the Red Planet. Both players inform me of the pact but the Brazilian player adds that his fleet has orders to perform orbital bombardment of Chinese troops as soon as Brazilian Mobile Infantry has landed on the planet.

Game turns are slowed down to days, as Chinese troops overwhelm the Indian outpost. Indian player is informed that his colony managed to sent a garbled "SOS" message, identifying attackers as Chinese. Unfortunately, he has no other assets in place and is thus unable to react. Chinese player is informed that his attack was successful and the number of casualties his troops sustained and the number of installation captured intact.

Shortly thereafter, Brazilian troops land on the Red Planet and the Brazilian fleet, automatically (ie under my control), perform their pre-planned orbital bombardment. Chinese player is notified that his troops are under space-land attack. Enraged, he issues a priority order that Chinese Planetary Defence Centres to open fire on Brazilian civilian freighters in-orbit. All players are notified that Chinese PDC's went active. Brazilian Fleet, at Mars, can only watch as the civilian ships explode.

I know that the Brazilian Admiral has "aggressive" trait and decide that his instinctive reaction is to launch strategic missiles against any and all Chinese targets. Brazilian player is only informed simultaneously to other players (if they have suitable sensors) that missiles are en-route towards Earth. All players who are aware of the situation, are given the chance to issue priority orders, as they will not know where the missiles are headed - most are probably not even aware of the conflict on Mars.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Codexer run countries / power-blocs

• Kalin, running the East-Asian Federation, consisting of Japan, South-Korea, Taiwan and Philippines
  • Phelot, running the African Union, consisting of all the sub-Saharan African nations
  • Cassidy, running the Republic of Brazil, consisting of Brazil
  • Laclonquan, running the South-East Asian Alliance, consisting of Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore , Thailand, Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam
  • Merkwürdigliebe, running the European Union, consisting of all current members except for Great Britain
  • Destroid, running the People's Republic of China, consisting of China
  • Absalom, running the United States of America, consisting of USA
  • Humanophage, running the Russian Federation, consisting of Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Byelorussia
  • JagreenLern, running the Islamic Caliphate, consisting of Morocco, Algeria, Tunis, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Saudi-Arabia, Oman, Yemen, United Arab Emirates, Pakistan and Bangladesh
  • Johannes, running the India, consisting of India

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Don't all sign-up in a one mad rush!

Also, comments and improvements for rules laid out above are more than welcome. I'm still hashing things out in my mind.

Also, the role of this thread is to act as the UN and world media. Plus of course all the usual OOC chatter.

MCA
Countries / power-blocs available for players at this stage (09/02/2012)

Not in any particular order of power or prestige or anything:

• United States of America (current)
  • European Union (including Norway, Switzerland, excluding UK)
  • Commonwealth (UK, Canada, Australia, New-Zealand)
  • Russia
  • China
  • African Union (yes, it would be unrealistic but it would encompass the whole continent)
  • Brazil
  • India
I don't intend to play but where's middle east with Israel and Iran and whatnot?

Phelot

Arcane
Oh man, I wouldn't mind doing this, but I never got far in the game and have no idea about any of it, plus I don't want to see another LP of this die due to slow downs.

Uh. Consider me an eager part of the audience or maybe I could just be Minister of Tourism or something. Sorry.

EDIT: Yeah, instead of African Union, you might want to consider some kind of pan Arab confederacy. Or maybe a Cassidy style Libya :lol:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Phelot, it's all the better if players are unaware of all the little details under the hood of Aurora. It'll make the game more enjoying for the audience and most likely to the players.

Some sort of Arab Coalition can easily be added. I'm slightly wary of adding individual small or medium sized countries but if someone wants to play Iran, it can be done.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It sounds like a lot of fun, I would definitely like to sign up.

Also, silly question, but am I correct to assume that all blocs will start out on Earth and then expand from there?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Kalin, you are correct. All factions will start on Earth, in their current RL situation, with perhaps slight modifications. Let me know which country/bloc you want.

Phelot

Arcane
Uh, I didn't know you could do that? Is there ground combat in this game? Shows how little I know.

Cassidy

Arcane
1255453724278.png

If possible:

: x

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Seems interesting but I've got my hands full with my LPs. I was only able the play the Muriad because it just required reading the thread and sending a very very short email once a week.

Phelot

Arcane
SO, if I don't really need to know all the ins and outs of Aurora in order to play, then I'll try playing as African Union if it isn't replaced by middle east or whatever. No one expects them to win anyway :lol:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If possible, I would love to play as Japan, either as the country itself or a bloc dominated by it (i.e. a reborn East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere including Taiwan, South Korea and so forth).

Other than that, The People's Republic of China or the European Union would be fun as well.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
This sounds like a lot of fun, but perhaps too time demanding (right now). Would be fun to take on the role of the US and bully everyone else. Will follow this nonetheless.

:patriot:

Cassidy

Arcane
Then because African Union was already taken and sending Thirdworldia into Space can only deliver lulz, I'd like to play with:

ojhxys.jpg

*Edit: Phelot just look at the epicness of the African Union:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

*Edit 2: Replaced video with one featuring English subtitles.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Okay, you got Brazil. I finished compiling the necessary background data for EAF. I'll play a little NHL09 as a reward and do research for AU and Brazil bit later. I expect Khor or OSK to pick up USA! :)

Phelot

Arcane
*Edit: Phelot just look at the epicness of the African Union:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

*Edit 2: Replaced video with one featuring English subtitles.

:lol:

do research for AU

Here's a hint: they get all their money from America and the EU :lol:

That's right bitches, pay me money so I can improve my battlecruiser research.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom