Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atomic Heart - open world first-person shooter set in an alternate universe Soviet Union

Gerrard

Arcane
i wonder who is the benefactor of this game is. that kind of new tech would never be implemented by just regular indie dev
nVidia did shit like this before, with Cryostasis for example and Physx water simulation.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm surprised that there's multiple melee weapons. I really like the look of this one not gonna lie.

...Oh there's weapon customization neat. I'm down.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Art design seems all over the place, the three different weapons looked like they were pulled out of entirely different games.
I wonder if that's the desired effect we are seeing with the lighting, it looks off but I don't know how to explain it.

MyUtDkW.jpg

"You're becoming hysterical"

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ugh... no thanks.

"find a carabiner", "find a key", get carabiner, scripted attack, dumb cutscene "click click, why is my pistol suddenly empty?", scripted push into another level, pistole is suddenly full again, lighting up a cigarette (really?? Is that supposed to be cool?), quicktime events with console icons to push attacker off, that unoriginal sliding carousel riddle... naaah... I've seen enough.

I don't know... it's not that they showed something specifically wrong, it's just "same old, been there done that, nothing new under the sun"... like the Metro games.

Maybe I'm the problem... to me almost every game made in Russia and Eastern Europe feels like it comes from the same "factory". They all kinda look the same, feel the same, have the same gameplay formula, and have this unexplainable weirdness in it (Witcher, Stalker, Metro, Dying Light, Kingcomrade, Two Worlds, Cyberpunk77 etc.). This one here only offers a weirder artstyle but otherwise again the same characteristics. Can't get warm with it.

Latelistener

Arcane
Maybe I'm the problem... to me almost every game made in Russia and Eastern Europe feels like it comes from the same "factory". They all kinda look the same, feel the same, have the same gameplay formula, and have this unexplainable weirdness in it (Witcher, Stalker, Metro, Dying Light, Kingcomrade, Two Worlds, Cyberpunk77 etc.). This one here only offers a weirder artstyle but otherwise again the same characteristics. Can't get warm with it.

:excellent:

Yes looks clunky as fuck. Hits don't seem to connect right. And that crosshair is just derp. Other than that it looks like a standard railroaded beginning sequence. Meh.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Looks like a game with a lot of art, but not a lot of design. Can't help but to worry that it will be Fallout 4 or Bioshock but in the USSR instead.
At least there are 2 competent Russian games now, it and Pathfinder. I never understood why Russia didn't have a bigger games industry while some other post-soviets like the Czechs and Ukrainians managed to create their own industries with plenty of good games. Most of the notable stuff from Russia is F2P crap.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Because shooting from the hip is impossible, am I right?
Wow, someone shooting at shit at a range where he trained the same routine multiple times over sure does show a lot.
Point shooting is possible and you can be dinner plate accurate up to around 5-10m depending on how much practice you have, but beyond that your hit chances are low, you usually aren't in a position to deliver follow-up shots too well and if your target is moving you're gonna have a lot more issues.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Because shooting from the hip is impossible, am I right?
Wow, someone shooting at shit at a range where he trained the same routine multiple times over sure does show a lot.
Point shooting is possible and you can be dinner plate accurate up to around 5-10m depending on how much practice you have, but beyond that your hit chances are low, you usually aren't in a position to deliver follow-up shots too well and if your target is moving you're gonna have a lot more issues.
The video shows it's not impossible. That was the only point of posting it. The accuracy in most of these games is terrible. There is no reason my shot should miss at shorter distances if I know I'm holding the gun straight and firmly. And most of the heroes in these games are supposed to be pros. No matter what upcoming game I look at, Rage 2 or this or Cyberpunk, I see the player obscuring their view with ugly iron sights only a few meters from the enemy. Lame.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If you have your gun in your hands, you have no reason to not use iron sights in a proper shooting stance if you are a few meters away from the enemy. You can't put yourself in a proper shooting stance via instinctive shooting where you are ready for the recoil and ready to quickly and accurately put 2 rounds in centre mass. Point shooting is only seriously reserved only for people who are exceptionally talented at it or extreme off cases, as in 1-2m distances where proper shooting stances don't work.
It's not impossible, but it's not viable in 99% of situations either.
I wish this game had tactical FPS shooting with 3 round bursts, double taps, harsh recoil and bad accuracy while not ADS.
The accuracy in most of these games is terrible.
Yes, as it is in real life. It only works as you imagine it to if you are out on a range shooting at something you've shot at a thousand times before with very simple, slow movements.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Art design seems all over the place, the three different weapons looked like they were pulled out of entirely different games.
I wonder if that's the desired effect we are seeing with the lighting, it looks off but I don't know how to explain it.

MyUtDkW.jpg

"You're becoming hysterical"
It has the look of a Unity asset store game. The assets individually are of a higher quality, sure, but it overall looks like a bunch of disparate pieces stitched together without any cohesive direction to tie it all together. Makes me think the game is some kind of scam. Farm out some high quality assets and slap them into a shoddy game, get Nvidia to sponsor it as a demonstration of their new tech, reel in the money.

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://teletype.in/@korovany/ByWgv5hXE

tldr: the game is lead by a bunch of morons, management is shit, CEO is marketologist who doesn't know how to run the studio, programmers and designers are fired left and right for no reason, there is no clear plan or design document. After Doom 2016 came out, producers demanded from devs to add some fancy glory kill executions and gory melee. After Prey came out, producers demanded from devs to redo significant chunk of the game. At one point they demanded to redo the game into openworld.

Recent gameplay video was heavily scripted, original announcement trailer was mostly fake. Right now the game is just a bunch of maps with no narrative or game design. 5 months ago development was restarted from scratch after all 3 programmers were fired (or maybe they decided to leave this mess voluntarily, it's not clear).

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane

Looks like they've managed to cobble together something playable (there are english subtitles).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom