Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atomic Heart - open world first-person shooter set in an alternate universe Soviet Union

Ezekiel

Arcane
Lost interest when I saw the player using nothing but ADS. Another stop and shoot FPS with a poor field of view and a big obstruction right in the middle of the picture. Regular accuracy will, of course, be terrible, even though the gun is perfectly steady. Because shooting from the hip is impossible, am I right?

Ash

Arcane
Iron sights are fine as long as hipfire accuracy is relatively tight, or can be upgraded to a state of tightness (see: original Deus Ex). There are a few games that do this but sadly it's so rare.

and yeah, I got Bioshock vibes from this. I hope it turns out it is System Shock that is their main inspiration instead, otherwise the game is doomed to mediocrity.

Also, that shotgun sounds like a piece of crap. Sort it out guys!

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Looks like a shittier F4, and very little of it all reminds me of USSR actually, looks quite generic. Architecture, robot design, interiors (aside from Cyrillic letters and some posters) have little to do with USSR.

Big Wrangle

I'm all for Soviet Shock if that's indeed what they're going for, but this vague marketing is confusing. The first thought that crossed to mind was if this was a Fallout 4 mod. It looks nice visually, but I want gameplay that isn't a string of pre-rendered executions, since that can apply to nearly anything.

Ash

Arcane
It's about gameplay pace and speed of combat (as well as the skill cap involved), is where the hate comes from. But it isn't iron sights themselves that is the problem, but rather dev choice to make hipfire piss-poor. Personally, I enjoy some games with the bog-standard modern setup, but it has pretty much completely overridden old school convention, which is sad considering many of the best shooters of all time come from the 90s.

I appreciate that slower movement speed and such mechanics improves realism, and also makes movement more of a tactical-focused affair than heavy twitch skill like the Quake days, but must pretty much every game play like this these days? FPS was just in a better place on both PCs and consoles in the 90s.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hipfire should be 'piss-poor though, it is fucking inaccurate.

Ironsights shouldn't restrict your movement that much / movement while 'ironsighting' shouldn't give such a heavy accuracy penalty - if you want a 'more realistic' approach.

Tancred

Learned
Looks like the release date on their Steam page was quietly changed from 2018 to 2019. Doubt this will come out anytime soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom