Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/atom-rpg
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=772451440

https://atomrpg.com

https://af.gog.com/game/atom_rpg_postapocalyptic_indie_game?as=1649904300

Hey guys! It's your boy Atomboy here, bringing you some sick news about ATOM, A Post Nuclear RPG. Me and the guys (we call ourselves AtomTeam, but basically we're a few writers, artists and programmers from Eastern Europe), we always enjoyed games like Wasteland and the first two Fallout games. Really felt terrible when Van Buren didn't fly like the golden baby it was.
So a few years later, we started making our own game set in a post apocalyptic wasteland. The twist we chose was obvious, since we all grew up in the USSR. We made parts of Russia and Ukraine our setting.
Otherwise, the product we conceived plays exactly like an old school CRPG. We got barter, we got tons of dialogue and even more flavor text, we got dated graphics, we got turn-based combat. We got a 'sort of" GURPS derivative for our role-playing system. All the jazz, you know.
Now it's one thing making a game. We did it.
It's another thing getting your game greenlit. We're at 60% and it's only our first day.
But it's a completely other thing to get someone from this here forum to talk about our game. Now that would be an honor. That's kind of why I am posting - to try our luck at appealing to the gourmets of the genre.
Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks, guys! Hope you'll like it!

Here is a link to our free demo: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=772451440

Screenshots are attached.
OZOqiVl.jpg

8gfb0az.jpg

CA7brvf.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Epsilon

Cipher
This looks great!. And I really like that you're supporting Linux. Any chance of a Linux version of the demo?

covr

Prophet
Patron
Ui and graphics looks better than Wasteland 2 which is a good start. How long this has been in development?

Neki

Scholar
You have my vote.
Post-apoc,isometric And Russian,That is how you make a game.

Is the Protag really named the chosen one or is just a joke for the screenshot?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Are you going to add varied and gory death animations? it's an important part of Fallout.

Also will it feature tastefully done rape?

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Really felt terrible when Van Buren didn't fly like the golden baby it was.

Top marks for lurking

Aww, you noticed :) I was there even before you could combine the crab and the bucket, in the shadows... Took making our own game to show up as a registered user :D

This looks great!. And I really like that you're supporting Linux. Any chance of a Linux version of the demo?

I mean how could we not! We love it :) The build for a Linux version is in the works, I really hope we'll release next week.

This is 1 character centric game? No party creation?
Where's kingcomrade option from the poll?

Well this kid has the "Chosen One/Vault dweller" vibe to him, hence the joke name in the demo. But we're planning on other people to join the party when you get to Krasnoznamenny City (The local Baldur's Gate).

I think it's a national, nay, scratch that. It's a pan-slavic pastime - try and make your own Fallout, with vodka and medveds. Well, it's not the first, and it won't be the last. I've got a couple of questions:
a) where's my корольтоварищ option in the poll;
b) why the fuck you implemented rotating camera rather than fixed one.
Otherwise, well, I wish you luck.

Но реально, чуваки, вам бы поярче изюминку показать, а то уже стопятсот мильонов своих Фоллачей народ пытался слепить, пусть и безуспешно.

From the Video:
UI looks like Fallout, even sound effect are the same.
Nice Music.
What? Stalin astronaut drinking beer poster? :) Insta buy
You should guys put English text above Russian in the description box.
Dialogues do not have many replies.... Is it because it is VIP, right?
Are you going to put perks in?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Agree, what's the point? It's annoying for developer since you have to consider the player might look at an area from any direction when placing things, and it's annoying for player to constantly wrestle with camera rotation while navigating.

Saduj

Arcane
I voted for this. Looks like a turned based Planet Alcatraz (aka Dungeon Cleaners).

Will try the demo.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Ui and graphics looks better than Wasteland 2 which is a good start. How long this has been in development?
Now that's what I call praise! Thanks, man! :) Well, the whole thing started back in 2014 with one guy, our main programmer. Then artists joined in. Then, in late 2015, two writers came along (I'm one of them) and that's when 60% of the game's content was made. In 9 months or so. It sort of lingered beforehand, each build taking months.

---

Hard and fast questions, just how you easterners like:

1. Character/Party: One-char (like Fallout and Age of Decadence), One character + CNPCs (like Baldur's Gate), Party creation (like Wasteland) or párty creation + CNPCs (like Wasteland 2?)

2. Tactical turn-based combat? FOT-level, Wasteland 2 level, JA2 level?

3. 3D graphics... why?

4. System requirements? Does this game run on 1024x600 resolution, or even 800x600? I'm stuck with a shitty netbook right now.

HERE WE GO!
1. Probably the Fallout 1 variant with followers who you can't control, although some with the +CNPCs variant.
2. Now it's on the Fallout 1-2 level. In future probably FOT + the new Shadowrun-esque cover system. JA2 light, some might say!
3. Unity is very friendly to the code and design guys. They love it! Plus we agreed that turning and zooming the camera felt good, especially when something awesome is on the screen. Like a bunch of dead ant gore.
4. Settings are customizable, the best res is 2560х1440, but you could scale it down to the good old 640x480! Honestly, the minimum reqs are tiny. I sort of playtested it on 1gb of DDR3

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
You have my vote.
Post-apoc,isometric And Russian,That is how you make a game.

Is the Protag really named the chosen one or is just a joke for the screenshot?

You got us! Had to go with something flashy for the demo. In actual full version, you will be able to type in a name. Maybe even pick your looks and gender... Oh the age we live in!

Huge thanks for the vote! It really means a lot! We're almost at our goal now!

Are you going to add varied and gory death animations? it's an important part of Fallout.

Also will it feature tastefully done rape?

You bet. Our animator literally has this as his one and only job at this moment in the dev cycle. A multitude of gory happenings can be assured! Maybe even full on dismemberment of the joints that were hit!
And on the topic of rape, sadly, there will possibly be several options for it in the Soviet Wastes. Most of the rape I currently have planned will occur in the big city of Krasnoznamyonsk, though. And it's not in the latest build yet. Will probably take a month.

I voted for this. Looks like a turned based Planet Alcatraz (aka Dungeon Cleaners).

Will try the demo.
Haha! Nice! Who knew people would remember that old thing! As far as I remember though, the English version of Dungeon Cleaners had it's most savage, humorous, and homoerotic parts removed in the release. I doubt we'll make the same mistake as our comrade Goblin did. And a huge thanks for that vote!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
You have my vote too. Looked a lot better than anything else on that Greenlight page at the very least.
We really appreciate it! Thank you very much!

From the Video:
Nice Music.

Hey-hey! :) Yeah, the English poster is coming up!
And spot on about the dialogues. They're not too simple even now, but what I'm planning for each living person in the game (and several mutated beasts, robots, living computers, etc) is to have at least 4-5 conversation topics, most of which if not all would branch into their own dialogue trees ad infinitum. Perks, I believe, are going to happen, yes.

I think it's a national, nay, scratch that. It's a pan-slavic pastime - try and make your own Fallout, with vodka and medveds. Well, it's not the first, and it won't be the last. I've got a couple of questions:
a) where's my корольтоварищ option in the poll;
Otherwise, well, I wish you luck.

Но реально, чуваки, вам бы поярче изюминку показать, а то уже стопятсот мильонов своих Фоллачей народ пытался слепить, пусть и безуспешно.

That it is. Pan-slavic at the very least. Can't really say why we have a fully moving camera and not something like POE with zoom only, but the main tech guys / builders of the game find it simpler to work with.
Thanks :D Oh, and now some gibberish: наша изюминка не слишком приметна в промо-материалах, ибо она заключается в запланированных тормент-стайл мега-диалогах и в мощном акценте на разговорах, общении, флейвортексте. Это то что мы, может быть немного самонадеянно, считаем наиболее выпирающей фичей игры, которая в остальном просто адекватна. А ещё я так и не понял что значит этот мем про "королятоварища", но боюсь признаваться... они решат что я жалкий нуб!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
From the Video:
Nice Music.
Oh yeah, I don't think I can edit my posts... So I'll make a new one because I missed one of the things you said. The sounds are placeholders currently, because we only have a composer. Future builds will have our very own sounds, and a much more original UI. The music is already our own, though :) Thanks!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
lovely, who wouldn't want a second Krai Mira
Roast accepted ;) But we want to stay as far as possible from Krai Mira. Really. We do. And seeing how we have at least three dialogue lines with every character in the demo, we are already pretty far away :D

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You bet. Our animator literally has this as his one and only job at this moment in the dev cycle. A multitude of gory happenings can be assured! Maybe even full on dismemberment of the joints that were hit!
And on the topic of rape, sadly, there will possibly be several options for it in the Soviet Wastes. Most of the rape I currently have planned will occur in the big city of Krasnoznamyonsk, though. And it's not in the latest build yet. Will probably take a month.
Nice! :thumbsup:

That it is. Pan-slavic at the very least. Can't really say why we have a fully moving camera and not something like POE with zoom only, but the main tech guys / builders of the game find it simpler to work with.
Thanks :D Oh, and now some gibberish: наша изюминка не слишком приметна в промо-материалах, ибо она заключается в запланированных тормент-стайл мега-диалогах и в мощном акценте на разговорах, общении, флейвортексте. Это то что мы, может быть немного самонадеянно, считаем наиболее выпирающей фичей игры, которая в остальном просто адекватна. А ещё я так и не понял что значит этот мем про "королятоварища", но боюсь признаваться... они решат что я жалкий нуб!
As for camera, your tech guys should seriously consider at least to add a lock option with preferable camera direction and view. If you have read Wasteland 2 feedback, annoying rotating camera was a really common and justified complaint.

Если реально фича в PST-style диалогах, то ох. Я не знаю, остались ли у нас еще вменяемые переводчики на английский, которые смогут что-то приличное выдать. Даже если у вас получится крутой текст с офигенным флейвором. Но в любом случае желаю удачи. Тут довольном много русских, просто большинство не палится.

Корольтоварищ - kingcomrade опция в опросах, по имени одного из юзеров здешних. Означает нечто среднее между "этот опрос сосет" и "смешная третья опция".

skyst

Augur
I backed it on Steam Greenlight and skimmed through the videos. Those sound effects are so eerily familiar... just can't place them. HMMMM.

Saduj

Arcane
Haha! Nice! Who knew people would remember that old thing! As far as I remember though, the English version of Dungeon Cleaners had it's most savage, humorous, and homoerotic parts removed in the release. I doubt we'll make the same mistake as our comrade Goblin did. And a huge thanks for that vote!

To someone raised with American sensibilities there was plenty of savagery, racial humor, casual slavery and homoeroticism in Planet Alcatraz. The real problem was that any hint of C&C and parts of the plot were incomprehensible due to poor translation. That and too much trash combat, particularly in the side quests. Anyway, good luck with your game.

and 2nd After Reset

:lol: Now that's a low blow.

Just judging by the size of the demo file, they have already surpassed After Reset.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
ибо она заключается в запланированных тормент-стайл мега-диалогах и в мощном акценте на разговорах, общении, флейвортексте.
Пока что весь райтинг выглядит как гнилое говно. Вы ж даже писать-то не умеете, у вас "по-этому" в тексте раз пять. Малограмотному поручили писать самую важную составляющую художественного произведения, ну пиздец же. Текст ломаный, стиль уровня сочинения 7 класса. Если у тебя есть хоть толика порядочности и совести, мразь, ты уйдешь с проекта т.к. ты не заслуживаешь быть на нем. Урод, сука. Саботировать проект вздумал, гнида? САБОТИРОВАТЬ ПРОЕКТ БЛЯДЬ. УБИТЬ ПРОЕКТ? ШКОЛОТРОН ЕБАНЫЙ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom