Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Atari announces Baldur's Gate 3!

Suchy

Arcane
But seriously, does anyone actually play mobile phone games?

mondblut

Arcane
Suchy said:

I tried a couple of those text-based The Dark Eye series (also available in browser-based form on some Drakensang-affiliated site). Pretty ok-ish.

I guess modern phones (mine isn't) aren't any different from PDAs, and there is a plenty of games on those, even some decent. Oldschool heavan, complete with multiheaded blobs hitting ass, leg and everything else they encounter.

Mortmal

Arcane
Seriously, thats totally uncool and plain retarded to raise that thread from the dead, i thought we could have news bout this.

kris said:
Azrael the cat said:
Well, that and about a gazillion 20th century American versions aimed at 10 year old kids, which is what those fucktards were really referencing when they claimed that the ending was 'different to the 'original'' because of the lack of a giant horse.

I even forgot. There was no giant horse in this version? Let me add that the proposed ruined city of Troja in present day Turkey have a giant wooden horse outside the ruins. The ruins itself is nothing to see and point towards a city about a 1/50 the size of the movie city.

:)

I'm surprised Andyman hasn't rocked up yet with claims that it was actually him that defeated the city of Troy, whilst in cartoon horse form.

mondblut said:
Suchy said:

I tried a couple of those text-based The Dark Eye series (also available in browser-based form on some Drakensang-affiliated site). Pretty ok-ish.

I guess modern phones (mine isn't) aren't any different from PDAs, and there is a plenty of games on those, even some decent. Oldschool heavan, complete with multiheaded blobs hitting ass, leg and everything else they encounter.

By text, are we talking pure text-based adventure, Infocom style? Or is it an early Wizardry / Bard's Tale use of line-based-graphics to represent a 3D maze, together with text descriptions of combat?

The latter could be pretty awesome.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Azrael the cat said:
kris said:
Azrael the cat said:
Well, that and about a gazillion 20th century American versions aimed at 10 year old kids, which is what those fucktards were really referencing when they claimed that the ending was 'different to the 'original'' because of the lack of a giant horse.

I even forgot. There was no giant horse in this version? Let me add that the proposed ruined city of Troja in present day Turkey have a giant wooden horse outside the ruins. The ruins itself is nothing to see and point towards a city about a 1/50 the size of the movie city.

:)

I'm surprised Andyman hasn't rocked up yet with claims that it was actually him that defeated the city of Troy, whilst in cartoon horse form.
How old do you think I am, motherfucker?

Shoreline it was one of my ancestors.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
If it came on the PC it would be a FPS with stats, or a diablo clone.

Maybe this is for the best.

mondblut

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
By text, are we talking pure text-based adventure, Infocom style? Or is it an early Wizardry / Bard's Tale use of line-based-graphics to represent a 3D maze, together with text descriptions of combat?

Neither. It's CYOA-type games. Think Darklands towns or King of Dragon Pass random events. Each location is a picture and a text describing it and a challenge within (if any), like "a room before you is blah blah blah... there is a guard standing with his back towards you, blah blah"; and several options, like "retreat into previous room", "attack guard", "try to sneak past the guard", "wait" etc. Successes are heavily dependent on character stats, so playing through with different builds is very different experience. You control a single character, and combat is simplistic menu-driven - no movement or graphics, just pick enemy-pick action-watch dice roll.

An average adventure seems to be about an hour long, there were about 15 total, but only first 6 were translated from german. Originally they allowed to import character from one game to another over the developers' websites, but those are long dead and the function unavailable.

Nowadays some or all of these games can be played via browser here: http://www.tde-games.com/

Other than that, there is a plenty of Wizardry/BT/M&M styled games over there. Dragon's Bane (or was it Dragonbane?) is very much BT-like game with popping up random encounters, M&M-like Undercroft and Legacy (and its more Daggerfallish sequel The Quest) for more powerful platforms, some old Ultima-lookalikes (Realm Warrior is one I remember)...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BG3 IS COMING, BG3 IS COMING, BG3 IS COMING BG3 IS CUMMING, BG3 IS COMING!@!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stereotypical Villain said:
... but not the BG3 we wanted.

R00fles!

ya know... WHAT exactly *would* the codex want in a Baldur's Gate III?

The Black Hound was a good start...

Turok

Erudite
I just saw the right bar and found the tittle, at first i get surprised but then i say to myself: this is the codex what i am thinking :D

Indeed i just hope they give you full hp when you level up, i hate get randon hp numbers and found myself with a shitty caracter that cant resist any fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom