Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Assassin's Greed

Cthulhu

Prospernaut
Enormous amounts of etardnet hype surrounding the AssCreed series had always triggered my automatic bullshit detectors, which is why I steered clear from the franchise despite knowing next to nothing about its contents, but a couple of weeks ago I finally caved in and picked Assassin's Creed. The first one. The one where it all started. If I'm going to hate Ubisoft and its consoletarded jumping around crap, I might as well hate it informedly.

The game itself was entertaining in part, mostly annoying and disappointing, but the actual magnitude of its numerous shortcomings became apparent only when I picked up its sequel - AssCreed 2. Most reviewers/commentators had advised to start with ACII in the first place, and I sort of wish I had, but having said that, this is the title that Ubisoft released to great critical acclaim:

- virtually non-existent stealth system
- broken and unbalanced combat
- moronic bystander AI that doesn't detect people dropping dead in front of them
- cheating combat AI that magically homes in on your current location during pursuit
- no real story
- no real characters
- no real ending
- intrusive framing device that kills suspense and immersion by superimposing technobabble, technoglitches, and other Matrix-inspired sci fi stuff over 12th century environments
- mega-convenient excuse that allows fanboys/devs to brush off any in-universe stupidity/inconsistency by saying "the animus did it" (subsequently chimpanzeed with tremendous failure by Bioware's DAII and their unreliable narrator Varrick)
- poor and limited voice acting that will be burned into your memory no matter what you do (We must resist! We must push back! Be stronk, stronk like Salahadin!)
- simplistic and ultra-repetitive mission design
- horrible endgame sequence that dumps hordes of enemies and doesn't let you run away

Basically, the game was an utter flop in regards to everything, aside from its innovative cityscaling parkour mechanic and the "digital tourism" feature. What Ubisoft basically did, was release an incomplete demo-version under the guise of a proper installment, in order to analyze the market response. Once its success became evident, they actually made the effort to release a real game that improved upon almost every aspect, and called it a sequel. Cityscaling became faster and less annoying, a story was written, missions became varied, they added a lot of small touches like turning "blending" into an interactive process that requires planning and effort, rather than holding down one button and becoming magically inconspicuous, etc.

The animus bullshit still remains, though it's slightly less intrusive this time around. The city is still divided into gradually-unlocked quadrants, but I assume you'll still have plenty of stuff to do in previous areas throughout the game? In AssCreed1 you never had any reason to return to an older district, there were no city-wide activities, and the open-environment aspect was greatly nivelized by this.

While blending, combat and assassination techniques were improved, the one mechanic that seems to be absent from this series, is a disguise mechanic. In AC1 you kind of had the excuse of the Altair dressed in a plain white hood with a red sash, though the amount of weapons carried would certainly make "hiding in a crowd" insanely unlikely. In AC2 Ezio gets a ridiculously pimped-out outfit that's about as inconspicuous as a peacock in a lion's den. There's no way to take the game's stealth mechanic seriously with the protagonist looking like that, and the taylor shops don't provide any alternate outfits, from what I've seen. I've heard the upcoming AssCreed title offers a brand-new disguise mechanic, so I guess it took them eight games and a shitload of spin-offs to finally implement the concept of an assassin hiding among the public in plain sight by not wearing a ridiculously distinctive uniform that screams "I am an assassin".

And, of course, there's the atheistard issue. If there's any video game that happily embraces leftist-enforced PC doublethink and anti-Christian brainwashing, this is it. The first game is set during the Third Crusade, and needless to say, the crusaders are depicted as bloodthirsty invaders and pillagers. King Richard is shown to be an amoral asshole, knights converse exclusively in cartoonishly sneering barks, leaders of Knight-Teutons, Hospitallers and Templars are the main assassination targets. We even get a pointless "achievement unlocked" side-mission that involves killing 80 knight-templars with a bright red cross engraved on their chest. In fact, Templars are the main villains of the entire franchise (not Masons, Zionists or Illuminati though, that would be too telling).

We also get plenty of Muslims in the game, and what would you expect - their depiction is far, far more favorable and absconded of criticism by comparison. There's no "kill 80 saracens" side-mission, we never get to see Saladin at all, the people we assassinate on the Muslims' side are generic evil merchants/rulers, oh, and the game never mentions the tiny historical fact of the Holy Land being originally subject to a bloody conquest by Muslim hordes pouring out of Arabia which saw the mass-murder and dhimmitude of native Christian and Jewish populations, and that the Crusades were merely a half-assed attempt by Western European kingdoms/Catholic Church to take the Holy Land back. The way the game goes on, they'd have you think the Crusaders were the invaders. Muslims' depiction is not positive per se, it is merely sanitized to respect the Muslim market segments' religious/patriotic feelings on the matter. Christians get shat on, as normal (for Leftards).

Meanwhile, Jews are utterly absent from the game aside from a single David's Star on a presumed synagogue, which could just as easily have belonged to a Christian church. Never shown in person, never mentioned, never alluded to. This design choice is more than a little strange, considering the game is set in JERUSALEM AND THE KINGDOM OF JUDEA. I guess a plot to conquer the world through illicit social policies by a secretive cabal of conspirators posing as upstanding leaders of mainstream society and a nefarious mind-control device thematically connected to Adam and Eve simply don't have much in common with the Jewish arc.

And there's the framing device, which involves a random brown-looking guy called Desmond (for some reason) being kidnapped and strapped to a virtual reality device to uncover secret information for a evil templar corporation. I wonder why Templars are consistently being called "templars", considering they are secretly atheistic and plan to abolish all religion once the mind-control mcguffin is in their hands. Desmond acts remarkably upbeat and cooperative, for someone who is explicitly told he'll be killed off once Abstergo has its information. The other two characters in the modern story-arc are an obviously evil ego-maniacal doctor and his obviously affable assistant Lucy who turns out to be an Assassin-sympathizer in the end. The only thing you ever have to do as Desmond is walk from the animus to your bed and back, and have uninteresting exposition dumped all over your tits. The biggest improvement in AssCreed 2 I see so far is that you don't cut back to the modern world every time you complete an assassination, although I've only just started and may be wrong.

Needless to say, the story would have worked just as fine if the framing device was entirely removed and would probably have been much better for it, but oh well, this is Leftard-run corporations we're talking about. At least they don't shoehorn pirates and naval battles into the franchise. Oh, wait.

:5/5::1/5:
would not play again, but enjoy for what it is

Last edited:
Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
:4/5: review, looked like a bad troll attempt at first but now that I've read trough it I agree with it.

Machocruz

Arcane
Pretty much. I bought and enjoyed the second one, but it didn't have legs so I didn't finish it. Games designed with the theory that duration and size = value usually turn out that way for me. Of the post GTA3 open world library, I've only finished...GTA3. And Fallout 3 (it's actually not a long game, sidequests and all).

The animus shit is beyond derp. It's a prime example of what I call "geek sugar," or in this case (since geeks supposedly like history) just "sugar" in entertainment. It could have been a straight historical fiction, but no, history is boring so lets throw in some sy-fy in there to make it more palatable.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
ship combat in black flag is kinda nice. they should make it into a third-person pirates remake and just do away with the whole assassins' crap.

Astral Rag

Arcane
uwalksmalliojix.jpg

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, I played/tried all of them and most enjoyable thing about the series is the "digital tourism" and parkour/puzzle sections. AC 2 got the best puzzles, but only AC game I completed is Brotherhood probably cause it was set in one place(Rome) not all around the Italy. I almost completed AC2 but gave up cause of collect/grind/boredom issues.
Im playing AC4 right now, just started with only a few hours in, derping in jungle and tropical villages isnt as cool as climbing on Colosseum in Rome. Just got the boat so dont have that much to say about it yet. Didnt quit yet, so it must be doing something right.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, the digital tourism is pretty strong. girl i know loves ac2, and does so mainly for its architecture (art school does that to you, apparently).

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
I dont have much info about the Unity but I know Notre Dame is in it, and for some reason that fact makes me wanna buy it. Not for the new combat, coop, new story etc etc..

Machocruz

Arcane
Does Brotherhood have those PoP-esque vaults, like 2?

I still say the lack of a fleshed out combat system is a crime. Even AC1 could have been salvaged if it was just fun to run around and fight. Could have been a decent Kingdom of Heaven wannabe.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
It got several of them. Brotherhood is AC2 with a Bro addition where you click the button and your bro assassin appears out of nowhere and instagibs your tagged target. Plus side is that its about half the size of AC2 that was freaking massive.
I liked those Leonardos machines and flashback side missions the most.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AC series truly is about derping around in a historical place, climbing awesome monuments. I actually liked the exploration activities best, like climbing the towers to update the map around you. Parkour is their main gameplay element.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ass Creed 2 and 4 are good, 1 and 3 are garbage. You should know that 1) Assassin's Creed games are made by french and, as it is fashion on these days on Europe, they piss on all things positive the europeans did or make the negative ones look like some aberration of white men patriarchy. Expect europeans to be rational enough and confront this silly shame racket the left keeps going is pointless and not even worth raging. 2) Since Ass Creed 1, it's obvious Ubisoft doesn't want to make a game about real assassins, sperging about the name is pointless. "You are a WMD, go Parkour." That is Assassin's Creed motto since the first one. 3)Ubisoft has shitty writers and expect most of the audience to be morons, don't expect any thoughtful or intriguing or complex treatment of history. It is Disney's Aladdin, it is Disney's Pirates of the Caribean, Pocahontas and that is it (Yeah, Ubisoft suits think gamers are crybabies and, unfortunately, they are mostly correct.)

Story is garbage and parkour is entertaining, that is it.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good review, bro. I agree with you on most things you said, but I did enjoy the game more than you seem to have. Maybe it's because of my professional and educational background, but the "digital tourism" (however 95% made up and clearly in the realm of fantasy speculation) was enough for me to enjoy this product.

AC :4/5:
+ digital tourism
+ sorta innovative gameplay
+ deminigga main character
- gameplay quite broken
- too much stuff doesn't make sense
- boring and endlessly repetitive combat
- railroaded
- animus excuse for making up a silly plot

AC2 :3/5:
+ vaguely better story
+ fixed some retarded issues with the gameplay
+ slightly more varied combat
- combat still gets boring as quick
- same shit, different day
- virtual tourism effect is null: Florence and Venice are mostly unchanged, and I've visited both many times
- voice acting worse than AC1 (seriously, they literally took KWA actors and made them pull an Italian accent. Dunno why they couldn't pick an KWA-Italian and make them act in English, so that the accent would have been way more natural)

AC2 (brotherhood) :4/5:
+ massive value for Rome digital tourism
+ kinda alright story
- everything else in this game is plain forgettable, and clearly an excuse to showcase the "Reinassance Rome Simulator"

AC2 (revelations) :1/5:
+ one single troll point for the Istanbul virtual tourism value
- feels like a 3rd-party-developed spin-off, I found it abysmal
- fucks that sad excuse for a plot up even more

AC3 :0/5:
- there is honestly nothing enjoyable in this game, it's just an excuse to celebrate KWAN-ness and their perpetual hatred for the Brits: it honestly felt like playing a propaganda game

AC3 did it for me. Whereas before I had been enjoying the series as an action thingie (that are fairly rare, or total shit, on pc), AC3 literally destroyed what little value the series had for me. The pathetic attempt at making an uber-dramatic story, and a "deep" main character, the propaganda-infused writing, the shit-as-usual voice acting, the lack of decently designed big urban centres, the "we're turning this into a management/farming/tycoon game now" issue, everything. And Connor is possibly not just the worst main character in the series, but one of the worst designed main characters to date. I won't play AC4, nor any other AC. I might consider replaying remakes of AC and AC2brotherhood, for the visuals, if anyone will ever make something like that.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The animus shit is beyond derp. It's a prime example of what I call "geek sugar," or in this case (since geeks supposedly like history) just "sugar" in entertainment. It could have been a straight historical fiction, but no, history is boring so lets throw in some sy-fy in there to make it more palatable.

I agree hundred percent, except I really mean it. Yes, derpy climbing and kiddie fights with retarded guards in a random historical setting is indeed boring, drab, been-there-done-that cliched shit. But with the animus thrown in there's at least something interesting and unique about this game. Without the marginally original metastory (well, in the beginning at least, with sequels it got progressively sillier) AC1 would be another forgettable konsole third person adventure having absolutely nothing remotely interesting going for it.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
[snip] (since geeks supposedly like history)[snip]

Well, as long as it stays confined to History Channel or they can read about it on wikipedia, anyway.

AC series truly is about derping around in a historical place, climbing awesome monuments. I actually liked the exploration activities best, like climbing the towers to update the map around you. Parkour is their main gameplay element.

This. Which, incidentally, would also partly explain while I disliked AC3 so much.

I agree hundred percent, except I really mean it. Yes, derpy climbing and kiddie fights with retarded guards in a random historical setting is indeed boring, drab, been-there-done-that cliched shit. But with the animus thrown in there's at least something interesting and unique about this game. Without the marginally original metastory (well, in the beginning at least, with sequels it got progressively sillier) AC1 would be another forgettable konsole third person adventure having absolutely nothing remotely interesting going for it.

I always wondered... Did they come up with the whole idea from the onset, or they were trying to make a historical-fiction action game, then realized they needed some shit to justify a lot of the bullshit that was going on and so they came up with the animus-metagame stuff, that basically would allow them to do whatever in every single game and even across the whole series?

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Everything in the AC games that played in the modern day was usually boring, and I didn't give a single shit about the whole animus backstory crap. Whenever there was something like that part in AC:BRO where you had to fix the electricity in order to make the animus run again, I rushed through that as quickly as possible because it was just a chore to be done until I could get back to derping around in Rome. I also didn't give a shit about the story and the characters in the modern setting, I always want to go back to the real fucking game as soon as possible, fuck this animus shit, just give me a historical city to parkour in.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I always wondered... Did they come up with the whole idea from the onset, or they were trying to make a historical-fiction action game, then realized they needed some shit to justify a lot of the bullshit that was going on and so they came up with the animus-metagame stuff, that basically would allow them to do whatever in every single game and even across the whole series?

They'd be able to do that anyway because their target audience has no idea about Crusades, Italian Renaissance and American Revolution anyway, beyond what they've seen in Hollywood films. I actually lol'd at the portrayal of Manuel Palaiologos in AC:Revelations as a greedy evil guy who wants to take back the throne and become a tyrant while the Ottomans were shown as tolerant multicultural good guys. This shit is all so far from real history and just pure leftist propaganda, it's fucking hilarious.

Athelas

Arcane
I would say none of the AC games are any good. Real, authentic history is interesting...the version of history you get in those games, not so much. There are plenty of games where you can have more fun derping around in a (semi-)open world.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The main advantage of AC is of course the whole wall climbing and character animation which actually works. All other is secondary. If you are not into runing away from guards on roors and killing them, then tough luck.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
AC series is boring as shit because it's less a game and more a filmic set-piece with lots of space to climb around with. This is good for the marketing because you can "show" lots of impressive vistas and cutscenes, but shallow as a game.

Why do people always fall for this annual milking anyway? Have they no taste?

Astral Rag

Arcane
AC games

+feature beautifully rendered, fairly atmospheric historic cities
+have nice music, good voice acting and good sound design in general

-all have god mode gameplay, guards just stand around waiting to be slaughtered one by one, the player is a god right from the start, there is no economy player always has tons of money
yet they feel like endless tutorials and treat players like idiots
-have uninspired stealth mechanics
-are highly repetitive
-have cringeworthy storylines, few interesting characters
-are filled with QTE's, collectibles and other decline garbage
-have the invasive Ubi DRM
-were not the best ports, maybe this has changed

Why do people always fall for this annual milking anyway?

It really boggles the mind.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom