Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Unity

Divinity: Original Sin
As bad as the first Dead Space. I've played all previous Asscreed games and their controls are miles better than this.
Damn, Deadzone Space really sucked in that regard, I can't imagine Ass Creed being even worse.
Well, i actually never noticed any problem with mouse acceleration on and off in any game.

And even if its a console game, in a PC, its keyboard+mouse 1st choice.

Assassin's creed games are perfectly playable with kb+mouse. All of them.
They are FAR better with a keyboard and mouse, at least the early ones. From III (at least) the controls are pretty much "press space to awesome" but 1 and 2 where you used the hand, foot, head etc control scheme is much more natural on a keyboard.

Yes, but even from 3 onwards you can use Kb+m with no worries. I rarely use my old logitech rumblepad, which I bought to play the first version of RE4 for PC, a terrible port that was made by ubisoft and didn't have mouse support, and the mod that introduced the feature couldn't work on my PC at the time, and my anti-virus would block it. I just use the controller with some emulators, since it's easier to configure console games for them.

A horse of course

I find turning to be a bit wonky in AC games if you use a m+kb rather than the stick.

omega21

Arcane
"Every year we take risks"

What risks are there in releasing sequel after sequel?

I have limited sympathy for them even after watching that video to be honest.

The biggest problem with unity was it's story. Not that AC stories are great but in the case of unity, there wasn't even a conection between missions, or with the setting. The historcal personalities barelly have any importance. That and they also cut features that were present in previous games: Guards no longer can climb buildings like they did in AC 1 and 2, for example.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The biggest problem with unity was it's story. Not that AC stories are great but in the case of unity, there wasn't even a conection between missions, or with the setting. The historcal personalities barelly have any importance. That and they also cut features that were present in previous games: Guards no longer can climb buildings like they did in AC 1 and 2, for example.
Yeah, AC 2 was the last attempt of Ubisoft in making a story for an Assassin Creed game. It was a cliche story and the whole assassins vs templars is stupid however people try to spin it but it woeked as a story, you knew why you were doing what you were doing, who were the bad guys and why you were killing them. It was the last Assassin Creed game where things weren't made on Ubitime and employees leashed to work faster. It so happens that trying to produce games as hotdogs has a negative impact over them. Who would guess?

Andnjord

Arcane

Ubisoft team between self-flagellation and self-pity regarding AC:Unity.

Gotta love those shameless attempts at self-aggrandisation where every problem in the game is only because they "were too ambitious" or they "tried to innovate too much".

Also, to relieve yourselves from that nauseatingly feel-good music try playing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXQY2dS1Srk starting at around 58:00 at the same time as you play their video. You will thus create a beautiful piece of atonal music which will reveal in its full light their self-serving hypocrisy (I accidentally did that, I was a bit freaking out at what I thought was their choice of music before realizing what had happened).

Yeah, AC 2 was the last attempt of Ubisoft in making a story for an Assassin Creed game. It was a cliche story and the whole assassins vs templars is stupid however people try to spin it but it woeked as a story, you knew why you were doing what you were doing, who were the bad guys and why you were killing them. It was the last Assassin Creed game where things weren't made on Ubitime and employees leashed to work faster. It so happens that trying to produce games as hotdogs has a negative impact over them. Who would guess?

And their next AC games were kind of spinoffs that used assets and engines of AC2, so that yearly title release at least wasn't sold as a next numbered installment. But that kind of made AC3 being a repetitive game, but at least it came with an actual improvement: ship sailing/combat, which warranted a sequel mostly based on that. Then comes Unity that ditch everything good that came before.

DeepOcean

Arcane
And their next AC games were kind of spinoffs that used assets and engines of AC2, so that yearly title release at least wasn't sold as a next numbered installment. But that kind of made AC3 being a repetitive game, but at least it came with an actual improvement: ship sailing/combat, which warranted a sequel mostly based on that. Then comes Unity that ditch everything good that came before.
Man... I don't know what Ubisoft was thinking, did AC 4 sold less than 3? Knowing Ubisoft, that is the only thing they care about. AC 4 was the last AC game I tought it was surprising fun because of the boats. Then they come with Unity where you play with Not Ezio on a filthy city going to the shitter and battle bugs, deformed aberrations, ghosts, teleporting and sexual changing NPCs, to just have the pleasure to play a shorter AC 2 that runs like ass.:retarded:

racofer

Thread Incliner
is this thing worth $25?
3Q5LWZ2.gif

buzz

Arcane
If I were you, I'd get the Chronicles China one. It's not like a typical AC game at all, it's a 2D stealth-platformer thing (very similar with Mark of the Ninja if you played that). I'm loving the shit out of it.
edit: Of course, it ain't no Mark of the Ninja proper. But it's fine time for one or two evenings.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Gold Edition of Unity includes China game for free.
The gameplay is same as before, its very pretty and if technical issues are solved its a non brainer for AC fans.
Good stuff are added stories and mysteries and Paris looks amazing, minus points for shitty character upgrade system, microtransactions and some other shit that went on my nerves when i played it.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
and if technical issues are solved its a non brainer for AC fans.

Right, so are they?
No idea, didnt play it since the second patch or so. It run decently well on my rig, but if you're on a toaster then I cant recommend it. These kind of pretty games does benefit from all the gfx mumbo jumbo, playing it on low res/settings doesn't really do it justice.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The game is 50% off on Steam for the next few days, if anyone is interested.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I'm playing this.

Some observations:
1. I don't care how many times I say it, it's has to be said again - Ubisoft has the most incredible world/environment designers. These people are artists of the highest caliber. It is an AFFRONT that Ubisoft then takes work of this level and shoves shit banal game design on top of it.
1. This game looks way better than any 2014 game has a right to. Aside from some muddy textures and plastic looking hair in some scenes, this looks every bit as good as titles from the past few years, it is a very good looking game.
2. It also runs worse than any 2014 game has a right to. To be fair, this still runs better than origins or odyssey. If you play it, FXAA seems to be the only working AA option. MSAA looks worse, and TXAA is so badly optimized here that I suspect it would bring even a 3090 down into the low 30s frames.
3. This is the ONLY assassin's creed game of the original series that is challenging. Amazingly, there seems to actually be a requirement for the player to master some skills and apply tactics rather than just hit the awesome button.
4. The main missions are good, but we have not escaped the banal filler content packages for the "open world" that seem to come out of a paint by numbers kit at Ubi HQ. Like their Far Cry games There are "events" that happen like every 30 seconds but its the same 5 events over and over and they feel totally unimportant and disconnected in the world and it is very immersion breaking to me.
5. The bugs that made this game a laughing stock on release may be ironed out, but anyone saying this is bug free now is full of shit. It's still fucking janky, it's just playable janky if you're patient with inconsistent shit.

ferratilis

Magister
Paris is indeed beautiful, it's still the best looking AC imo, but they really ruined it with that horrendous UI and focus on co-op play. The map UI is cancer, with very little customization to get rid of the clutter. The only way to play it to disable the UI completely, but that introduces other problems because the game was not designed to be played that way.

You could try DXVK to improve performance, it definitely helped me with AC Origins. Haven't tried it with Unity, but it should work.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm playing this.

Some observations:
3. This is the ONLY assassin's creed game of the original series that is challenging. Amazingly, there seems to actually be a requirement for the player to master some skills and apply tactics rather than just hit the awesome button.
It will never stop being funny to me how tackling co-op missions, designed for four players, solo results in some of the best content ever because it's the closest AC as a whole comes to being challenging as scenarios are stacked against you heavily. In many ways Unity has that "X steps forward, Y steps back" approach and I can't tell how much of that was due to it being the last hoorah of the formula, overdesigning what you have or just out of compromise. I love the parkour system and it's a shame that apparently this was its peak as everything that followed just lobotomized the system altogether.

minus points for shitty character upgrade system, microtransactions and some other shit that went on my nerves when i played it.
I don't think the mtx were that bad in this game. It was clearly intended/balanced to be played without any of the benefits provided by mtx such as extra cash/XP, they'd just act as cheat codes in a single player game. By playing the game normally without mtx you'd finish your character progression well before the story was over just by sticking to the missions and you were never level/XP-gated, mtx cheats would only make the game easier/worse for most players.
In later games (ACOr/Od/V) the main quests would often level-gate the player, forcing you to go out of the story's way in order grind out/clean up random disconnected POIs for XP or buy mtx boosters.

The main reason why ACUnity got so much hate/backlash likely boiled down to a couple of ubisoft employees who should've been fired (but were likely promoted).
One business flunkie who had the bright idea to forcefully shove a smartphone companion app down your throat because muh business synergy. I think all the colored chests you see all over the map used to be locked requiring you to unlock them with a ubisoft companion app running on your phone and linking it (and your phone/online accounts) to your running game - meaning you couldn't run around for more than a minute without the game reminding you of the phone app.
And one idiot dev who went public claiming that -during the launch year of the PS4&XbO when people were trying to figure out which console was the best/worth buying- the reason why the game was running as shittily on the PS4 as on the XBO despite hardware differences was because they implemented "parity" to avoid console comparisons & warring on the media and stuff (see Microsoft's infamous parity clauses).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom