Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Unity

Astral Rag

Arcane
UPDATE 14/11/14 2:52pm: Ubisoft itself now suggests players turn off the internet connection while playing Assassin's Creed: Unity on all systems, saying doing so "it could potentially improve frame-rate".

But, but the "online elements" of this (mostly) single player game are the most important part of this Ubisoft product.
jP3p73s.png

Also for those who don't know where that gif is from:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
How Assassin's Creed: Unity's micro-transactions work

awfitz.jpg

Assassin's Creed: Unity has launched in the UK and its micro-transaction prices are live, which means we're now able to investigate Ubisoft's new in-game purchasable currency to see how it works.

Five packs of micro-transaction currency, named Helix Credits, are currently available to buy. The packs range in price from £3.99 to an eye-watering £64.99.

Helix Credits are used to "hack" better weaponry and gear that would otherwise be worth a huge amount of francs - the regular currency you find when searching dead enemies and in chests.

500 Helix Credits costs £3.99, 1400 costs £7.99, 3200 costs £15.99, 9000 costs £39.99 and 20,000 costs £64.99.

On the lower end of the scale, £1 is equivalent to 125 Helix Credits, but there are savings - if you can call them that - in buying bigger amounts. Buy the most expensive pack and each £1 you spend is converted into just over 300 Helix Credits.

But Ubisoft has defended the addition of the currency - the first of its kind within the series - and reassured that it does not unlock any item which can't be found within the main campaign.

"Every item in the game is unlockable through player progression," a Ubisoft spokesperson explained to Eurogamer. "The progression and economy is tailored to not push the player to pay.

"Everything is balanced in a way that the player will never feel forced to buy, but rather to keep playing the game to access better gear and become stronger."

But how easy would it be to buy the items on offer naturally and without coughing up real world cash? We took a look at some examples.

The top-rated sword available to view when starting the game is the Cinquedeas. It holds a five diamond rating - the top equipment level. Normally the only way you could obtain it is by forking over 125,000 francs - which would take a huge amount of time to accumulate.

Alternatively, you can buy it for 1000 Helix Credits - £8 if you buy two of the 500 Helix Credit packs, or slightly less if you fork out for one of the larger packs.

It's the same story when looking at equipment. The top-rated headwear item we could see is the Legendary Brigand Hood. It usually costs 125,000 francs, or again is alternatively available for another 1000 Helix Credits.

Hundreds of these items are now available, and at least half - those which are designed to be bought, rather than those unlocked by completing mission types and objectives - can be "hacked" using Helix Credits instead of handing over francs.

Entirely new to the Assassin's Creed series are Boosts, which temporarily increase one of your stats for a short time period. The Stealth Boost, for example, "makes you significantly more difficult to detect during assassinations and freerun for three minutes" (100 Helix Credits).

Each option has a longer-lasting Premium variety, too - for a slightly higher price. The Premium Health Boost "significantly increases the damage you take for five minutes" (150 Helix Credits).

Ubisoft told Eurogamer that it considered Boosts to similarly be balanced - although there is no way to obtain them other than by spending Helix Credits.

Of course, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag also included micro-transactions of a kind. You could pay 79p each to show all collectibles and activities on the game's map, £2.39 to skip finding all treasure maps, and £1.59 for a set lump of in-game consumable resources.

But these were billed as "shortcuts" to skip completing certain activities in the game (synching viewpoints, hunting down treasure spots) and were not a full in-game currency.

You can also buy these type of packs in Assassin's Creed: Unity, too. There are four maps available, again used to reveal locations for various mission types and collectibles.

Each of these four are priced at 150 Helix Credits each - just over a quid's worth - although you'd need to spend at least £3.99 for the smallest pack containing 500.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-14-how-assassins-creed-unity-micro-transactions-work

ubishow3duqq.jpg

I don't even.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy shit. What a scam this game is. I wonder if Far Cry 4 is getting the same treatment?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whoever tells you that these in-app-purchases dont affect game design is full of shit.

I even have evidence by non other than Ubisoft itself. They have a game called Rayman: Fiesta Run on mobile devices. I got that game both on my Note3(Android) and on a Lumia 920(Windows Phone). They are not free, cost about 2 euros I think or so.
WP version doesn't have IAP while the Android one does. Difference in progression towards rewards and unlockables is extreme. Windows version plays like a regular game that rewards you in a normal pace with new characters and stuff, Android version is a fucking grind, you need to play atleast 10 times more(and thats a soft estimation) to get in level with a Windows version.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
What an utter pile of bullshit! I'll never buy this game now, if I'm going to play it I'll pirate it.

How Assassin's Creed: Unity's micro-transactions work
:what:

I thought those credits were for vanity/cheat gear or similar horse armour.
What kind of a sociopath does it take to even come up with something like this, let alone implement it in a world-wide distribution?

You're like 10 years behind the times in the mobile games world. Why do you think companies for years have been talking about the "hot" mobile sector and integrating mobile shit into AAA games?

I give it 5 years before DOOM is re-released and typing IDKFA brings up a screen prompting you to enter your credit card information.

Gerrard

Arcane
So apparently this game was supposed to have co-op and actually doesn't because they couldn't make it work properly with multiple players?

Not really surprising if they can't even make it work right with 1.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-performance-analysis

UPDATE 14/11/14 2:52pm: Ubisoft itself now suggests players turn off the internet connection while playing Assassin's Creed: Unity on all systems, saying doing so "it could potentially improve frame-rate".

255109_o.gif

I... I don't even.. Did they really fall that fucking low. Then I releazied that this is ubisoft we are talking about and my prevoius sentence could be taken as a compliment...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone played Rogue, the ignored but probably much better actual sequel?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
So is this about the evil amoral despotic French king being the mastermind behind a massive Templar conspiracy theory, opposed by a multi-ethnic cast of self righteous do gooder democracy enabling ''assassins''?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom