Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate, set in Victorian England

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Hey guys, remember that godawful buggy piece of shit French Revolution title Uberderp released not a month ago? Yeah, that wasn't the real deal - the upcoming Victorial-London-era AssCreed is!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/02/assassins-creed-victory-has-been-leaked
2015's Assassin's Creed game has leaked, and it takes place in 19th century London during the Victorian era,Kotakureports.
According to "a person familiar with the game," it's called (either officially or internally)Assassin's Creed Victory, and it's coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC in fall 2015.
We reported in July thatUbisoft Quebecwill lead the development of a future Assassin's Creed title. The source indicates that Victory will indeed be created by that studio, and not Ubisoft Montreal as usual.

https://metro.co.uk/2014/12/05/assa...e-hopeful-for-assassins-creed-victory-4975050
Even if we were to sugar-coat it, Assassin’s Creed Unity’s launch was an abysmal disaster. Seeing as it might be the messiest technical release in recent memory, I’d sympathise with anyone who wants to avoid the recently leaked Assassin’s Creed Victory as if it carries the Black Death.
What with glitches, bugs, crashes and a ludicrous embargo which made Ubisoft’s visit to the French Revolution a laughing stock for the past month, keeping it at arm’s length for fear of being burnt again is probably at the forefront of gamers’ minds.
But hang on for a second.
Although such cynicism is entirely reasonable (the state of Unity when it arrived was a shameful joke), there are plenty of reasons to be interested in its Victorian follow-up.
MORE:Next year’s Assassin’s Creed leaked: Victory is set in Victorian London
Climbing right to the top of this list is the revelation of who’s behind it; it isn’t the same development team working behind the scenes.
While issues with the last game shouldn’t be dumped solely at the feet of its makers, that does encourage confidence.
The thing is, the creators of Unity/Assassin’s Creed III had to cope with ten other studios fiddling about with their game in the former’s case.

Apparently, in AC Victory we'll have tophats, fights atop trains, grappling hooks, and queen Victoria being a templar? Because why not, everyone famous is either a templar or an assassin in this series.

I'm just waiting for AC Rogue to come out on PC, I'd much rather play a lazy rehash of AC Black Flag than yet another guileless virtual city-tour. Making AC more like the Arkham series is a pretty lame move, which is to be expected from one of the most illicit, incompetent and consoletarded game developers of the modern day.

assassins_creed_victory.0.0.jpg

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I liked the fact that in unity the very French King wasn't a Templar, being in fact naive and well intentioned, and oblivious to everything happening around him. Which does bear similarities to the accounts we have.

He certainly wasn't a 3 dimensional character, no one in Assassin's creed is because Target audience wouldn't understand them anyway, but for once they had their minds at the right place.

Hopefully Victoria isn't the big Templar mastermind either. Though I hate the fact that if you aren't an Assassin or Templar you are a moron/puppet doomed to not do anything consequential. It's like after thousand of years there's still only this one single circlejerk and no one attempted a third option, let alone a 4th, 5th... Of course designing said options might require some writing skills and the ability to conceive a conflict beyond the polarised platitude of Freedom vs Order.

Each iterations make the game more and more easier, to start with the now absurd Sonic climbing speed defying the basic law of gravity. Not worth buying if you aren't a graphic whore and don't own a single previous Title that isn't the 3rd.

Also this setting probably means no boats again, obviously you aren't piloting ironclads in the Crimean War.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
The worst thing about the AC series is the amount of sheer talent (as well as consumer trust) that is shamelessly exploited and wasted by illicit incompetent bigwigs at Ubisoft's top management. All the hard work that goes into creating beautiful historical cities, animations, models, 'cinematic' cutscenes, pretty good voice acting - all of it amounts to little more than a crappy story, shameless libtard propaganda, historical falsification, repetitive missions, ridiculously easy and forgiving combat, and of course tons and tons of bugs. I can't imagine why a series that has enough resources and talent to recreate Florence, Venice, Caribbean open seas, Paris and everything else has to remain so restricted and repetitive as far as its item management, mission design, and of course - story.

Is it really so hard to create a proper stealth mechanic for a series based on assassination?

Is it really so hard to make combat more challenging by having enemies deal more damage and use items like bombs and pistols more often?

Is it really so hard to implement a disguise mechanic instead of draping the player in highly-conspicuous flashy uniforms?

Is it really so hard to let the player manage his/her/its own inventory, instead of sticking a huge wobbling blowpipe on my back that I never use?

Is it really so hard to put a more original spin on the story than yet another "evil templars are controlling government/church/military/aristocracy, you must kill conspirators for freedumb and just-us"?

Is it really necessary to still bother with a modern-day meta-story long after the Desmond crap got shafted due to consumer dissatisfaction?

This is not in any way a necessity of pandering to consoletard gamers. Any and all of the above improvements would make the game more popular among both pc gamers and consoletards, and none of it would be too difficult to implement with existing resources, given enough time. It's just a matter of heinous morons sitting in executive chairs, forcing their outdated, perverse, detached views on both the development team and players. This company always chooses to take the safest, most predictable road towards financial success.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm sure this one will be totally working on launch and not a piece of crap at all like Unity, right guize?

guitarhero_logo_01_lg.jpg

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it...

But there were only like 7 Guitar Hero games, I would have gone with Need for Speed, there has to be around eleventy-four of them by now.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Glaurung Good points.

I can't imagine why a series that has enough resources and talent to recreate Florence, Venice, Caribbean open seas, Paris and everything else has to remain so restricted and repetitive as far as its item management, mission design, and of course - story.

Because Graphic artists and coders are academically trained and therefore skilled in these specific departments.

Writers and Game designers are an entirely different matter. You can't train inspiration and you can't necessarily buy it, especially in the context of a corporate structure which is in fact largely inefficient yet often too large to even go under.

Still the target audience plays a role in their choices. Assassin's creeds are easy games. Games that appeal to people with low native intelligence or people too burned out to focus. The largest audience by far. What point is there in bothering them with something remotely thought provoking or challenging in the slightest when they can't or don't want to be bothered.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I do not believe it is a matter of lack of inspiration or anything. After so many games they are not even trying anymore.

All the ideas are there. The cities. The settings. There are genres that exist : adventure games, RPGs, strategy, open world. Ubi Soft has dabbled in all of these. You just have to make up a story (it's not that hard, there are people trained in doing that too), and design an innovative gameplay around it. This is why Assassin's Creed IV was good and it's the whole irony behind this : it had started development as NOT Assassin's Creed , therefore it brought a bit of fresh air.

This is the same issue than Call of Duty or anything that comes out of every year. It fucks up the development process. You cannot weave a good story with various teams working simultaneously on several games that are supposed to be connected. You cannot innovate in gameplay for the same reasons because when you have started designing your game, then the previous iteration wasn't even released so you cannot even learn from your mistakes. How can Unity be good when it was conceived at a time when nobody knew that AC IV was a decent game ? This is what's killing the series : the one iteration a year, the quantity before quality, and that absolutely ridiculous development process.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Victorian London was the setting I wanted from this series from the start. Unfortunately I've hated the gameplay since the series started, and the "play it as a city walking simulator" thing gets boring pretty quick, so unless they change things up it doesn't matter anymore.

buzz

Arcane
This is why Assassin's Creed IV was good and it's the whole irony behind this : it had started development as NOT Assassin's Creed , therefore it brought a bit of fresh air.
Uhm, do you have any proof of that?

Because AC IV, despite being a pretty neat game, still took the main ideas from AC3 and developed them further a bit with more typical Ubisoft sandbox except at sea. Even the naval combat is mostly taken from the third game, upgrades and everything.

edit: Or did you mean it in the sense "oh, it's not about assassins anymore but about pirates"?

Eyeball

Arcane
I just recently aquired AC4 as my first AC game. Honestly, I see no reason to play this series when the Arkham series exists. It pretty much outclasses it by any standard possible.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Play one Ubi-soft game and you have played them all. Same game play formula in all their games, from racing to shooting.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This is why Assassin's Creed IV was good and it's the whole irony behind this : it had started development as NOT Assassin's Creed , therefore it brought a bit of fresh air.
Uhm, do you have any proof of that?

Because AC IV, despite being a pretty neat game, still took the main ideas from AC3 and developed them further a bit with more typical Ubisoft sandbox except at sea. Even the naval combat is mostly taken from the third game, upgrades and everything.

edit: Or did you mean it in the sense "oh, it's not about assassins anymore but about pirates"?

That's funny. I am definitely sure I read somewhere that AC IV started as an entirely different game altogether and Ubi Soft decided to slap the Assassin's Creed licence on it at some point in development. Will investigate further.

TedNugent

Arcane
I'm sure this one will be totally working on launch and not a piece of crap at all like Unity, right guize?

guitarhero_logo_01_lg.jpg

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it...

But there were only like 7 Guitar Hero games, I would have gone with Need for Speed, there has to be around eleventy-four of them by now.
He's making the point that Activision deliberately ran Guitar Hero into the ground. They actually cut Guitar Hero as a franchise and Tony Hawk because they were unable to run them as annual franchises.

They basically exhausted two of their most historically successful IPs. It's kind of the modus operandi of Activision. Whereas EA appears to understand how to milk annual releases without the milk running stale amongst the sheep flocks.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Just finished playing Assassn's Creed IV: Black Flag. This game was the most fun I've ever had playing an AC title - mostly because it gave me the freedom to ditch the retarded hood, forget all about Assassins going against Templars, and just go plundering wealthy British and Spanish gunboats, schooners, brigs, frigates, men o' war, and legendary ships. I liked the main character a lot, and the only annoying SJW angle was a plotline based around evil white men being defeated and killed for their wrongdoings by noble men/women/trannies of color. There's not a single villain in this game who isn't white, and not a single positive character aside from Edward Kenway himself who isn't either a Black man or a white woman.

The storyline was traditionally weaksauce megalomaniacal ravings about ancestors races and age-old conspiracies, and boiled down to yet another race after a magical artifact. The one aspect I did like about this title is the fact that a lot of positive and positive-neutral characters die due to various reasons - almost all of them Kenway's pirate buddies, and it plays a large role in the protagonist's psychological journey - at one point there's a trippy sequence where Kenway is being haunted by the memories of his dead friends while in a drunken stupor.

Templar conspirators were even thinner, more one-dimensional and obligatory than usual - they accomplish absolutely nothing in the entire span of the game, every single one of them is completely forgotten right after their introduction scene until it's time to assassinate them. It feels like whoever was writing this series was so mind-numbingly uninterested in the whole templar conspiracy angle, and ended up doing the bare minimum to satisfy the moronic executives running this show.

Combat was atrocious, no other word for it. I think the first AssCreed had more engaging combat than this, it's reduced to little more than pressing one button to insta-kill any enemy, pressing again to move to the next one, etc. Enemies sometimes use pistols and bombs, but they take about five hours preparing to shoot while standing completely still and defenseless. Meanwhile, Kenway can insta-kill up to four people with his pistols before having to reload. The player is, as usual, completely deprived of the ability to customize their inventory or have a unique combat style - swords only come in sets of identical twos, pistols only come in fours, hidden blades and swords are pretty much interchangeable with each other, and we get three different types of darts to spit on the enemies with the GIANT-ASS BLOWPIPE WOBBLING BEHIND THE BACK INCESSANTLY WITH NO CHANCE OF REMOVING IT EVER.

The monetary system is a bit more interesting than before - it's easy to make tens of thousands of dollars, but there's a lot of expensive items/upgrades to spend them on, so you regularly run out of cash and have to resort to piracy/side-missions to earn more. There's no regular source of income like Ezio's mansion, and most highly-profitable exploits are non-renewable, so you have to invest a bit of thought into how you want to earn and spend your money. There's also three additional resources - wood, metal and cloth - for ship upgrades, which can only be earned through plundering enemy ships.

AC4 is filled to the brim with multiple sets of collectables to fuel our collective OCD. Chests contain nominal amounts of money. Animus fragments are glowing pieces of crap that are never explained and amount to jack-shit when you gather them all. Secrets are either treasure maps useful for going on actual treasure hunts, bottle messages - pseudo-historical meta-plot drivel, or manuscripts which are screenshots of random historical documents (Voynich manuscript trololo) someone google imaged in one hour and plugged into the game for good measure. Shanties are new songs for our ship crew to sing, they run away when you approach so you have to be quick to catch them.

The game has some really good and authentic-sounding ship-crew songs and tavern songs, your crew singing "whiskey is the life of man" brings a lot of heart and memorability to the playing experience. The graphics are also really good, Caribbean seas, islands, jungles, docks, underwater caverns and towns are all a pleasure to traverse, ships are drawn with great attention to detail, pirates are portrayed a bit more authentically than the usual pirate pop-culture stereotype, drawing their characteristics more from their native cultures (English, Welsh, Irish, etc.) and status (battle-hardened sailors, wenches with a heart of gold, overambitious pricks) rather than a cartoonish 'pirate culture' where everyone wears eye-patches, walks on wooden legs, holds parrots on their shoulders, and talks like yarr shiver me timbers matey.

The game ended up being worth the effort of struggling through infuriating consoletard restrictions, and left me a bit sad/nostalgic when Kenway's days of piracy came to a close, and the end credits rolled. This is the first (and likely only) time I've ever had this reaction from playing an AC game (or any modern Ubisoft game for that matter), usually I'm just glad to be done with the ordeal and question myself on the compulsive need to play this shit. When AC Rogue comes out on PC, I'll give it a try and see if it lives up to its predecessor, as far as Unity and Victory - count me out, Renaissance Italy filled my life's share of virtual tourism.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
He's making the point that Activision deliberately ran Guitar Hero into the ground. They actually cut Guitar Hero as a franchise and Tony Hawk because they were unable to run them as annual franchises.

They basically exhausted two of their most historically successful IPs. It's kind of the modus operandi of Activision. Whereas EA appears to understand how to milk annual releases without the milk running stale amongst the sheep flocks.
I thought GH WAS an annual franchise, and they cancelled it due to poor sales because people were finally getting fed up with being sold the same game every year.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Just finished playing Assassn's Creed IV: Black Flag. This game was the most fun I've ever had playing an AC title - mostly because it gave me the freedom to ditch the retarded hood, forget all about Assassins going against Templars, and just go plundering wealthy British and Spanish gunboats, schooners, brigs, frigates, men o' war, and legendary ships. I liked the main character a lot, and the only annoying SJW angle was a plotline based around evil white men being defeated and killed for their wrongdoings by noble men/women/trannies of color. There's not a single villain in this game who isn't white, and not a single positive character aside from Edward Kenway himself who isn't either a Black man or a white woman.

The storyline was traditionally weaksauce megalomaniacal ravings about ancestors races and age-old conspiracies, and boiled down to yet another race after a magical artifact. The one aspect I did like about this title is the fact that a lot of positive and positive-neutral characters die due to various reasons - almost all of them Kenway's pirate buddies, and it plays a large role in the protagonist's psychological journey - at one point there's a trippy sequence where Kenway is being haunted by the memories of his dead friends while in a drunken stupor.

Templar conspirators were even thinner, more one-dimensional and obligatory than usual - they accomplish absolutely nothing in the entire span of the game, every single one of them is completely forgotten right after their introduction scene until it's time to assassinate them. It feels like whoever was writing this series was so mind-numbingly uninterested in the whole templar conspiracy angle, and ended up doing the bare minimum to satisfy the moronic executives running this show.

Combat was atrocious, no other word for it. I think the first AssCreed had more engaging combat than this, it's reduced to little more than pressing one button to insta-kill any enemy, pressing again to move to the next one, etc. Enemies sometimes use pistols and bombs, but they take about five hours preparing to shoot while standing completely still and defenseless. Meanwhile, Kenway can insta-kill up to four people with his pistols before having to reload. The player is, as usual, completely deprived of the ability to customize their inventory or have a unique combat style - swords only come in sets of identical twos, pistols only come in fours, hidden blades and swords are pretty much interchangeable with each other, and we get three different types of darts to spit on the enemies with the GIANT-ASS BLOWPIPE WOBBLING BEHIND THE BACK INCESSANTLY WITH NO CHANCE OF REMOVING IT EVER.

The monetary system is a bit more interesting than before - it's easy to make tens of thousands of dollars, but there's a lot of expensive items/upgrades to spend them on, so you regularly run out of cash and have to resort to piracy/side-missions to earn more. There's no regular source of income like Ezio's mansion, and most highly-profitable exploits are non-renewable, so you have to invest a bit of thought into how you want to earn and spend your money. There's also three additional resources - wood, metal and cloth - for ship upgrades, which can only be earned through plundering enemy ships.

AC4 is filled to the brim with multiple sets of collectables to fuel our collective OCD. Chests contain nominal amounts of money. Animus fragments are glowing pieces of crap that are never explained and amount to jack-shit when you gather them all. Secrets are either treasure maps useful for going on actual treasure hunts, bottle messages - pseudo-historical meta-plot drivel, or manuscripts which are screenshots of random historical documents (Voynich manuscript trololo) someone google imaged in one hour and plugged into the game for good measure. Shanties are new songs for our ship crew to sing, they run away when you approach so you have to be quick to catch them.

The game has some really good and authentic-sounding ship-crew songs and tavern songs, your crew singing "whiskey is the life of man" brings a lot of heart and memorability to the playing experience. The graphics are also really good, Caribbean seas, islands, jungles, docks, underwater caverns and towns are all a pleasure to traverse, ships are drawn with great attention to detail, pirates are portrayed a bit more authentically than the usual pirate pop-culture stereotype, drawing their characteristics more from their native cultures (English, Welsh, Irish, etc.) and status (battle-hardened sailors, wenches with a heart of gold, overambitious pricks) rather than a cartoonish 'pirate culture' where everyone wears eye-patches, walks on wooden legs, holds parrots on their shoulders, and talks like yarr shiver me timbers matey.

The game ended up being worth the effort of struggling through infuriating consoletard restrictions, and left me a bit sad/nostalgic when Kenway's days of piracy came to a close, and the end credits rolled. This is the first (and likely only) time I've ever had this reaction from playing an AC game (or any modern Ubisoft game for that matter), usually I'm just glad to be done with the ordeal and question myself on the compulsive need to play this shit. When AC Rogue comes out on PC, I'll give it a try and see if it lives up to its predecessor, as far as Unity and Victory - count me out, Renaissance Italy filled my life's share of virtual tourism.
So it's exactly like AC3, only with a not-quite-as-good setting.

OK and the SJW element was a bit stronger in 3 than in 4 (evul whyte mens burning injun villages and killing noble savages left and right etc). But still nowhere near as bad as the first one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/home/index.aspx

London Calling: Next Assassin’s Creed Reveal Next Week

You can pencil this one into your calendars: Ubisoft is revealing the newest addition to its historical neck-snapping game series Assassin’s Creed on May 12, 5 p.m. U.K. time. This, according to a 26-second teaser trailer appropriately named “New Assassin’s Creed Reveal,” which sadly doesn’t offer much in the way of information just yet.

Watch for yourself below (and you can take a look at the newly-launched teaser site here): From what I can glean, this will likely be the rumoured Assassin’s Creed Victory, said to take place in Victorian London.

Kotaku first reported on this last year after gameplay footage leaked showing stab-fights on carriages, offering Americans a look at what happens outside my flat on a Friday night. The game has reportedly been re-named as Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, according to Kotaku sources. Of course, nothing is official just yet but I personally can’t wait for Assassin’s Creed: The Dick Van Dyke years.

The teaser site offers a bit more in the way of actual teases, thanks to random graffiti like: “We forge the chains we wear in life,” “God Save The Queen,” and “Rooks.” So it all smells pretty English, anyhow.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Here's hoping for another ASSCREED Unity-grade disaster.

:jacksonpopcorn:

Mandatory:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom