Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Origins - it's an RPG now

vonAchdorf

Arcane
WTF, Gold and God's edition does NOT include Season pass while other extra versions do? Oh man, if I would ever care, knowing which version to buy is a game of itself.

Gold includes the seasons pass. The more expensive God's version doesn't and I wanted to get that because I think the basted statue looks better than the one in the Dawn of the Creed edition. Maybe that's a hint to wise up and buy the Steam Sale -75% edition next year.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Breaking news - Assassin's Creed Origins will be an RPG, because it's going to lift authentic RPG mechanics such as levelling, equippable gear/clothes, and a "hitbox-based combat system" from the exemplar "RPG game" Witcher 3. All this and more, according to a random retard youtuber:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All in due time. BTW, I caught a glimpse of what was apparently the name of a location - "Dionisius Carvansarai". It seems that in addition to top notch "RPG game" mechanics, Origins will feature an unparalleled level of historical accuracy, where Ancient Egypt locations are named with toponyms in Turkish, more than a thousand years before anyone in the region had heard of Turks.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Very interested in the game although having it set so late is a bit of a bummer - but they obviously want to include famous characters like Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, Mark Antony etc.

Imagine if it had been set earlier though. When Egypt was really at its splendour - rather than Greco-Roman like it was under Cleopatra.

As for Assassin's Creed, I'd like them to make another game like Rogue where you actually play a Templar and the Assassins are shown to be assholes.
Yeah but if it was set in the earlier days they wouldn't be able to make some white dude (aka Ceaser) an evil imperialist that terrorise the indigenous population.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Witcher 3 - "A shining beacon for developers to work towards." "It pushed open world games on a new direction." You add loads of cutscenes and this is now the shinning beacon for developers? It is impossible to find decent video on youtube with those kids that only play popamole and don't even know what they don't know about.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ha, health regen doesn't limit itself anymore to the first couple of bars, now it kicks in as soon as you take damage. Why have a health bar at all?

AwesomeButton

Patron
What will prevent this from ever becoming a good Witcher 3 clone is obvious throughout the demo - the writing is worthless. Plus, you have no real dialogue, just cutscenes.

Combat could be interesting on the highest difficulty levels, the dumb console game features can probably be turned off, such as the seeing through walls.

The bow made the impression of a built-in cheat. No crosshair trembling, damage output preview, no arrow arc, it shoots as if it were a rifle.

The non-choice between stealth vs combat approach must be some kind of ubisoft trademark. Dumbfucks, stealth is only interesting if you are in fear of having your ass kicked if you fail at it, i.e. if you are really vulnerable, so that there is a reward for stealth. Same dumb shit as Dishonored. Stealth means tough work - enemies who can hear, shadows that serve as cover, intelligent area design, not simply "walk on rooftops to be invisible". Your stealth sucks.

Interesting to see what else they will show, but I couldn't bear playing through this if I'll be annoyed by its shitty story and writing at every step,which will most probably be the case. Unless they demo something of the quality of the Red Baron quest, I'm unimpressed.

If they match Witcher 3's sex scenes with something more new-gen, like more bouncing boobies for example, which was a Witcher 3 weak side, that will be good, though I doubt it. They are probably going for the lowest possible PG rating.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
All in due time. BTW, I caught a glimpse of what was apparently the name of a location - "Dionisius Carvansarai". It seems that in addition to top notch "RPG game" mechanics, Origins will feature an unparalleled level of historical accuracy, where Ancient Egypt locations are named with toponyms in Turkish, more than a thousand years before anyone in the region had heard of Turks.

Researching history is hard. Look at their interpretation of Marxism in Unity. These people have an agenda and it's certainly not to be historically accurate.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I laughed my ass off. Progressive assassins aiding the exploited masses against the evil capitalists, with help from their wacky bunch of witty friends such as... Karl Marx! Charles Darwin!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Also stronk womyn in one of the most repressive times when it came to sexuality and gender roles.
You know, I learned a lot about history from games like Civilization, trusting that the devs aimed to be truthful with their representation. Imagine some poor kid trying to learn history from the AssCreed games.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Depending on the age you were at, you could learn about history from Civilization, though Sid Meier himself has said in interviews that they only wanted historical flavor and never aimed for the game to be educational. I learned quite a bit from Age of Empires II's ingame help system when I was playing it when it was still new, and then from Rome TW's modding community. If I have to think about games that teach you historian-grade details, the first that come to mind are the Waterloo/Austerlitz wargames.

But yeah, Assassin's Creed is purposeful propaganda, fortunately too half-assed to be mistaken for truthful portrayal of history... or is it?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Depending on the age you were at, you could learn about history from Civilization, though Sid Meier himself has said in interviews that they only wanted historical flavor and never aimed for the game to be educational. I learned quite a bit from Age of Empires II's ingame help system when I was playing it when it was still new, and then from Rome TW's modding community. If I have to think about games that teach you historian-grade details, the first that come to mind are the Waterloo/Austerlitz wargames.

But yeah, Assassin's Creed is purposeful propaganda, fortunately too half-assed to be mistaken for truthful portrayal of history... or is it?
Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Only AGCEEP (aka "For the Glory") can teach you real history. The rest is too abstracted to be of use. What they are good for though, is teaching you geography - the names and locations of cities, regions.

nil

Cipher

If a guy has a shield up, and you just wanna bring his shield down very quick, you know, shoot him in the foot, shoot him in the head, he'll drop his shield and then you can go in with your melee weapon.

ore clover

Learned
If a guy has a shield up, and you just wanna bring his shield down very quick, you know, shoot him in the foot, shoot him in the head, he'll drop his shield and then you can go in with your melee weapon.
:lol:

"If you want to kill him, first you must kill him. Then you can move in to kill him."

whatthehellweretheythinking.mov

AwesomeButton

Patron
Absolute cancer. I counter your shotgun bow with my uzi bow.

BTW did you notice how he refers to the game as an "RPG" :lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It seems that Asscreed will be the true incline in the CODEX!At last the ultimate RPG is coming to us.

nil

Cipher
Tip: If you have a weak helmet, don't equip a shield. Having a shield will make enemies shoot you in the head.

Tip: Getting hit in the head might make you drop your shield.

Tip: If an enemy blocks your attacks with a shield, shoot them in the head.

Tip: A headshot is a very effective way of bringing down an enemy's defense.

Tip: Having a strong helmet will make it easier to hold on to your shield when you get shot in the head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom