Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is no need to agree on anything, I have already established what an RPG is. That's besides the point, though, the point being AssCreed shouldn't be in general RPG and whoever thinks otherwise is wrong and insane.
What you established is wrong. Fallout: New Vegas is a role playing game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Lord_Potato, it isn't and I've not been given any indication or argument to think otherwise. I don't want to open that can of worms again in this topic as well. If you want to argue something else, read that whole thread first, reply there and you know the drill.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, Lord_Potato, it isn't and I've not been given any indication or argument to think otherwise. I don't want to open that can of worms again in this topic as well. If you want to argue something else, read that whole thread first, reply there and you know the drill.
You brought that thread here. Your comment doesn’t make sense, when you, yourself linked it. Make up your mind.

Lacrymas

Arcane
My point is that AssCreed shouldn't be in general RPG. When your definition of RPG is so lax that you start including obvious non-RPGs like AssCreed maybe you should rethink your position. Also move this thread to general gaming.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry, but you brought your silly definition to this thread so this is were I will discuss it.

When your definition tells you Diablo is more of a rpg than New Vegas, it provides a definitive proof it's worth nothing.

You are not even loyal to your own "definition". In Diablo you control the fighting directly. Every swing of the sword, every arrow requires a separate click. Just like in New Vegas.

Lacrymas

Arcane
And this tells me you didn't read the thread. That is why I said read the whole thread.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
My point is that AssCreed shouldn't be in general RPG. When your definition of RPG is so lax that an obvious non-RPG like AssCreed is included maybe you should rethink your position. Also move this thread to general gaming.
My point is that you don’t link threads and then not expect us to mention it if we respond. Also, everyone has their view of what an rpg is, so it is quite funny that we need to follow your ”established” rpg.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Here's another quote, since you don't want to put even the smallest effort in, and I'm done with this conversation -

It's a shooter because you directly control the shooting, it definitely doesn't matter that gun skill influences that, otherwise Deus Ex is also an RPG. Diablo and clones are more hack and slashers than RPGs, though, they are just "more RPG" than New Vegas.

Infinitron, move this thread to general gaming.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Here's another quote, since you don't want to put even the smallest effort in, and I'm done with this conversation -

It's a shooter because you directly control the shooting, it definitely doesn't matter that gun skill influences that, otherwise Deus Ex is also an RPG. Diablo and clones are more hack and slashers than RPGs, though, they are just "more RPG" than New Vegas.

Infinitron, move this thread to general gaming.

Still, not a single reason why Diablo, where you directly control combat too, is more rpg that FNV.

You only prove more and more how wrong is your "definition". But please, keep those quotes comming. We are having fun.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like that definition. It doesn't have any gaping holes in it at least, which is more than can be said for most attempts. It excludes RT blobbers though, so it's no good.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I’m not having fun, I just plain disagree with him about what an rpg is. Not saying I’m right as it’s a subjective thing.

Sheeshker

Barely Literate
AC nowadays - we cannot remove first word from the title because people won't buy it, but we can ditch actual assassins for the games. Another year of RPGayness with stat numbers masturbation, "learn how to sit on a bench" skill tree, map icon faggotry, crafting of your own dildosword with foreskin of king Leonidas from a quest reward and dialog choices where you can choose between bad voice acting or terrible writing.

Too bad this series lost its identity quite a while ago and now tries to be everything, but what it supposed to be.

Last edited:
Mercenaries Are The MVPs In Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

You don’t have a creed in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. It makes sense, considering the game’s setting of Greece circa 431 BC predates the establishment of an organized Assassin brotherhood by several hundred years. In short, you’re not an Assassin, or at least not one like we’ve known throughout the Assassin’s Creed series. Whether you choose Alexios or Kassandra, your official job title is the same: mercenary. As it turns out, you’re far from alone in that field.

In Assassin’s Creed Origins, the player character Bayek was hunted by powerful enemies throughout his journey. Bayek was a threat to the pharaoh Ptolemy, and the ruler sent his private guards, the Phylakes, to track Bayek down and snuff out his life. It was a fun way to add an additional threat layer to the game, and when that signature horn blew, players knew they were in for a tough fight. Once all 10 were killed, Bayek was rewarded with a slick new outfit – and that was it, basically. In Odyssey, Ubisoft Quebec is taking that kernel of an idea and exploding it.

Without a strict code to follow, you’re much freer in the world. You can choose to steal, slaughter livestock, and go on murderous rampages. “Let’s say you’re going around the world and you’re a s---head,” says creative director Jonathan Dumont, “It’s your choice, but there are consequences.” If you commit crimes, a bounty will be placed on your head. And when mercenaries appear to collect, that’s when the real fun begins.”

odyssey3.jpg

Every player’s game starts with 50 mercenaries, drawn from a pool of hand-crafted characters and others that are randomly generated. They all have their own special abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, as well as gear. “It’s endless Phylakes,” Dumont says. “And some have bears.” They’ll leave you alone if you walk the straight and narrow, but beware if you decide to indulge your criminal fantasies.

Players can accrue an increasing amount of notoriety, which is represented by a one-to-five scale. An easy way to think about it is like the wanted levels in the Grand Theft Auto games. When you’re wanted, the mercenaries will start to look for you. A higher bounty attracts higher-leveled mercenaries, and more of them, so it might make sense to pay your fine to get them off your back. Or, if you’re feeling more confrontational, you can track down the person who issued the bounty and eliminate them – and the bounty, too.

They’re like Origins’ Phylakes, with a little bit of Shadow of War’s Nemesis system thrown in for good measure. The interesting part comes in after you’re done battling them. Once you’ve incapacitated them, you have a couple of options: You can choose to kill them, or you can hire them. “If a mercenary is pursuing me throughout the world, you know what, I want to show respect for that guy and keep him,” Dumont says. “You can do that.” Regardless of whether you choose to kill them or let them live, you get whatever gear they have, which can include special legendary items.

Mercs and other characters you recruit join your ship’s crew. Some of these guys add special abilities for your ship, such as reducing cooldowns for your weapons or increasing your ship’s speed. There’s also a skill, Call to Arms, which allows your character to summon one of your allies into on-foot combat for a while.

Don’t think you can simply massacre your way through all 50 and call it a day. The Mediterranean is a lucrative place to be, and more mercs will arrive to take the place of the fallen. As you eliminate the competition – by recruiting or killing them – you’ll work your way up the rankings. Each ranking tier has special benefits, such as getting discounts at vendors and smiths.

odyssey1.jpg

Bounties will also slowly reduce over time if you stop committing crimes, but you’ll be hunted as long as you have one. And as long as you do, it pays to be vigilant. “Let’s say you have a three star bounty and you go into the world and you go into a big fort and you start messing around,” says game director Scott Phillips. “Then they sound the alarm. Who’s coming? The bounty hunters. All those guys know where you’re at. They’re seeking you. They don’t come straight for you, they come in the area you’re at, but in this case when the alarm rings you see them like they’re ring wraiths coming. Oh no! We wanted to create those tension moments. When you have a five-star bounty, which takes a long time to store up, it’s something.” They’ll follow you out to sea, too, so don’t think you can easily hop on your boat and sail away from your problems.

The mercenaries seem like a great addition to the series, adding a much-needed layer of variety. If you get tired of questing, you can decide to pursue mercenaries and level up that way. Or you can chase after them simply because you want to enhance your ship’s crew or get better gear. You’ll see them in the world, too, even if you haven’t riled up the locals, so you can opt for a confrontation on the fly. That doesn’t mean you have to cause trouble if you want to engage in mercenary combat, though.

Role-playing is a big component of Odyssey, but don’t think you’ll be missing out on the mercenary elements if you decide to play as a law-abiding citizen. Mercs hang around arenas, and you can rise through the ranks in officially sanctioned battles, too – no murdering, stealing, or slaughtering required.

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on October 5.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/10/mercenaries-are-the-mvps-in-assassins-creed-odyssey

Sheeshker

Barely Literate
So basically they recycled the idea of stalkers in Revelations and pirate hunters in AC4 with the notoriety system that existed and died several times since AC2. Evolution my ass.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I am quite enthusiastic about the game (enjoyed Origins and I do love ancient Greece as a setting, which is at the same time very underused in RPGs), but I do not like that Alexios and Cassandra play through the same story. It's actually moronic, there were no female mercenaries in the era.

One word: Xena, Warrior Princess

xenacallistoswordclash-1.jpg

Ah! That's why I named my D2 Amazon Callisto!

DSCN8774.jpg

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
Why are the Greeks brown-skinned? Have the sjw quebecois communist fruitcakes squeezing out this annual asscreed turd ever seen Mediterranean people in their lives? They're not Hindus. They don't have Brown skin, and are not PoC.

They're sure as fuck not white.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom